NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

I just think that 5mbps is plenty for mobile phones. HSPA+ seems fast enough.

I just think someone should concentrate on the areas that don't have good coverage. Especially those with less than 1Mbps broadband (or not even broadband) - there must be a decent market for having mobile broadband there.

Panorama Mode!

Built into the camera app, like Android 4.0?

I've never been fond of the aesthetics of the iPhone to be honest and it's not really changed in the last six(?) years. Same with the PlayStation pad (which I'm also not fond of). There's tweaks and overall improvements, but mostly more of the same.

I disagree here. The 3G was miles ahead of the 2G and introduced a very smart operating system with an app store which used linux style repository for distribution and set the foundation for app shopping that exploded across all devices.

Between the 3G and 3GS the hardware performance increase was profound enough to excuse the lack of visual upgrade.

The 4 had a very sleek design but really it was 'dat retina display that set it apart.

From here it's downhill.

The 4S was barely a step forward. Siri turned out to be shit and the design was identical. (Well, it changed just enough that some people would need new cases).

The 5 is... a stretched 4 with LTE. Several android phones and a Nokia are 4G capable already. They've stuck to one button controls and still not updated that 4 year old icon layout. The 5 is the biggest disappointment in the iPhone for me since it launched, and definitely my overdue cue to leave it in the dust.

Edited by Shorty

I meant the physical device itself, rather than the menu/screen stuff.

iphone2g.jpegiPhone5_0331.jpg

I know there are changes (mostly to the back as far as I can tell) but I'd like them to take a risk.

But then I quite like the look of the recently announced Nokia so clearly I'm not on the same wavelength :heh:

I dont understand the button thing. I have an android phone and loath the back button. Never know what I is going to do. On the browser it works like a back button whereas elsewhere it backs out of the app.

The menu button is sometimes useful but hardly an essential feature. Not surprised apple hasn't copied it.

Why would you need a back button? you can navigate where eve you need too without one. The whole idea of Touch screen is to limit the use of buttons. It doesn't need anymore.

They've just spent a lot of time, effort, money etc arguing that they invented the rectangle (:heh:) in America so I knew they weren't going to change the shape very drastically but even so...

Triangletablet.png

Sony should sue Apple for stealing the Vita icons for their nano.

So fugly.

Sony should sue Apple for stealing the Vita icons for their nano.

So fugly.

What are you talking about? If you round enough of the corners off a rectangle it becomes a circle. Apple should sue Sony for stealing their idea.

Earphones that direct the sound into your ear?

WOW! Why has no-one ever thought of that before?

Aren't Apple clever?

*yawn*

that was a huge disappointment!

"heres the iphone 5, we've stretched the 4s, put a slightly faster processor in, added 4G and improved the apps to actually work (siri) or added features stolen from other apps (panorama), we hope you love it, if not next year the iphone 6 which is stretched slightly more, fixes the 5's problems and has a slightly faster processor"

I need to do a comparison with the Galaxy S3, or find someone who had an iphone and switched to an S3 to give me an honest day to day use opinion!

I'd say getting an S3 would make my Alarm clock/dock and in car radio thingy obsolete, but apple did that too with lightning

You can tell Steve isn't arround telling them to innovate and not leak things

I love my iPhone 4 so I'm just going to upgrade...probably.

Unless someone can explain anything that I'd really be missing out on. It's a phone; it makes calls, sense texts - job done. No?

Why would you need a back button? you can navigate where eve you need too without one. The whole idea of Touch screen is to limit the use of buttons. It doesn't need anymore.

Because many apps make use of it. The menu button is also very useful.

Also, the Android home, menu, back and open apps (kind of like alt-tab) buttons are now incorporated into the software as opposed to hardware buttons. Look at the front of the LG Optimus G. No face buttons. It's currently my phone of choice for my next upgrade.

If you're used to the iPhone then stick with it.

At least the Nano has been redesigned somewhat.

I'm fairly content with my 4S until my contract runs out. Might get a Nano and change to a different non-android phone when my contract is up.

iPhone 5 doesn't look like the next big thing many were hoping it would be. Seems a shame.

However, I was never interested in that - I'm one of the few people tuning in who actually wanted an iPod upgrade. And hurrah! They're not dead! Think I might pick up one of the new touches in the near future. I would go for the nano again, but somehow 16GB is too small these days.

Unless someone can explain anything that I'd really be missing out on. It's a phone; it makes calls, sense texts - job done. No?

If you love your iPhone 4, why not just keep that? Keep the phone and get a cheaper contract or something.

I was expecting the new Nano to have a circular screen/shape, a bluetooth (or a unique wireless connection) link to the iPhone with notifications and stuff (also compatible with bluetooth headphones and to play music on the iPhone), and gaps on the back so it can be connected to a wrist strap, belt, pocketwatch strap, pocket or whatever.

Edit: "expecting" is the wrong word. But that's my idea.

iPhone 5 doesn't look like the next big thing many were hoping it would be. Seems a shame.

However, I was never interested in that - I'm one of the few people tuning in who actually wanted an iPod upgrade. And hurrah! They're not dead! Think I might pick up one of the new touches in the near future. I would go for the nano again, but somehow 16GB is too small these days.

Yeah, the size is one problem for me.

LOLZ

So Apple's UK webstore pricing the iPhone 5 at £529, iPhone 4S down to only £449. That's only £50 cheaper than when it was new.

Ah, the new iPod touch starts from £249....that might just be a little bit out of my reach.

Ah, the new iPod touch starts from £249....that might just be a little bit out of my reach.

I think that's the pricing model of all Apple products.

Just tantalisingly out of your reach.

If you love your iPhone 4, why not just keep that? Keep the phone and get a cheaper contract or something.

I'm due an upgrade, fancy more storage and I've knackered the camera. Also, I do like the bigger screen.

Around this time of year I always toy with the idea of an iPhone...

Then I see the price and can never justify the markup in hardware price and contract price, when it doesn't do anything more than competitor handsets. It just looks sexier.

Starting at £529 sim free is ridiculous. I'm guessing around £36 a month will be the standard contract price. Right now I'm out of contract and paying just a tenner a month on a sim-only deal. I could get a deal that fits my needs on an S3 or One X for around £20 a month, the only thing holding me back is their screens are massive for my tiny little hands!