NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

Well, I see a discount of € 91,- on the MacBooks, still not great, but a significant difference nonetheless ;). At the very least it’ll allow you to but some extra software or accessories. Anyway, I don’t think these are the deals “Black Fridays” are famous for (but perhaps I’m wrong), but it’s still nice if you were shopping for them anyway. But yeah, only this day..

Nopes, when I change the country to Ireland I see a discount of € 91,- as well (on the MacBook pro in this case).

Nopes, when I change the country to Ireland I see a discount of € 91,- as well (on the MacBook pro in this case).

1322249240346.pngAnd yes I do see now that 18 wasn't the highest one.

That’s weird. I dunno what exact page you’re looking at, but I don’t see those prices. It could be they’re using our IPs to check our location, and serve up a page (with corresponding prices) based on that, but then I don’t know what the purpose is of manually changing your location.

apple2.png

Notice the location bottom-left.

Stupid bloody Macs!

So I'm trying to chat with someone on MSN with a webcam (all innocent I assure you) but it seems to be impossible. MSN for mac is shit and doesn't support webcam. Adium doesn't either. iChat seems to have disappeared off my hard drive and the only download I can find only supports an older version of OSX.

Tried Mercury but it said I don't have the correct libraries (and annoyingly opens up iTunes). Tried aMSN but won't let me as I'm on a router.

Banging my head against the wall now. Any solutions that anyone knows of?

(and no snarky 'use Skype' because I do already :p)

Google+ Hangouts?

You probably mean solutions to make MSN work though and I have no idea for that. :p

My friend keeps telling me you're not supposed to turn off Apple products like his Macbook Pro. Is he telling the truth or pulling shit out of his arse?

I have no idea myself, but don’t those all-in-one messengers (like Trillian I believe) do the trick?

Stupid bloody Macs!

So I'm trying to chat with someone on MSN with a webcam (all innocent I assure you) but it seems to be impossible. MSN for mac is shit and doesn't support webcam. Adium doesn't either. iChat seems to have disappeared off my hard drive and the only download I can find only supports an older version of OSX.

Tried Mercury but it said I don't have the correct libraries (and annoyingly opens up iTunes). Tried aMSN but won't let me as I'm on a router.

Banging my head against the wall now. Any solutions that anyone knows of?

(and no snarky 'use Skype' because I do already :p)

Have you got the most updated version of Mac Messenger? Version 8 has webcam and mic compatibility, although it only allows video calls. Obviously you can just mute your mic once you're on the call and make it a normal webcam conversation, it's just a bit of a pain to have to do this every time.

Oh wait yes I do have that....but every time I try and say something it crashes.

My friend keeps telling me you're not supposed to turn off Apple products like his Macbook Pro. Is he telling the truth or pulling shit out of his arse?

In some ways he is pulling shit. It's true that a lot of MacBook owner just shut the lid of their Macs when they're finished with them and never shut them down, because the battery last long enough that it's not a problem and as soon as you open the MacBook you're back where you left off. However, to say 'you're not supposed to turn it off' is a bit stupid (no offence to your friend). Obviously you should shut it down every now and again, and you should also let the battery run down every so often as it's good for the battery. It's just that you can leave it on constantly if you wish.

Have you used Facebook chat?

Facebook Chat has been very stable for me recently actually. So much so I've completely ditched MSN which I used loyally for years because FBC wasn't up to scratch.

Is iTunes serious? Do you have to use the gift card in the same store(ie my computer) as it is bought on? I was planning on giving gift cards to two of my sisters as Christmas present but it's pointless if they have to use my computer to use them.

Are you talking about physical gift cards that look like credit cards? If so - of course not! All they need to do is scratch the back off to reveal the code, then input it into their iTunes accounts in the Redeem section. Then the amount that they have will be shown in the top right of the Store on your computer.

Why did you think you had to redeem them on your computer? All that matters is the code that is generated - that code can be put into any account at all, on any device (including iPhones, iPads etc) and they will be able to download songs (and apps, movies etc) from there.

No they don't - it will mean the same country's store. So as long as they live in the same country as you it'll be fine.

Finally reserved a 4S for pick up tomorrow. Now I've got to make a decision what plan I want to go with. Dunno whether to go with O2's simplicity or 3's micro-SIM Only 300 plan.

O2 Simplicity - 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1GB data : £25.50 12 months

3 300 Plan - 300 mins, 3,000 texts, 1GB data: £15 1 month

Looks like 3 seems the better deal, more than enough minutes and texts. For me it's all about cost and data. However I dunno how good their service is.

I opted for a 3 PAYG micro-Sim for the time being. Same deal as their monthly plan how ever no contract, which suits me.

My mum got an iPad for xmas. I've always been very indifferent to them, and just felt they seemed a bit pointless for me and many others (but obviously could be used well for certain people/jobs). But my mum wanted one cause she never treats herself, and in the end actually got it as a surprise gift.

BUT anyway...I enjoying it, and finding myself like...wanting one. Not seriously, but I know realise I would ENJOY having one/make use of it. Hey Kindle. Hey reading comics efficiently. Hey Bjork's Biophilia app.

Hmm. I may have to rethink my views.

My mum got an iPad for xmas. I've always been very indifferent to them, and just felt they seemed a bit pointless for me and many others (but obviously could be used well for certain people/jobs). But my mum wanted one cause she never treats herself, and in the end actually got it as a surprise gift.

BUT anyway...I enjoying it, and finding myself like...wanting one. Not seriously, but I know realise I would ENJOY having one/make use of it. Hey Kindle. Hey reading comics efficiently. Hey Bjork's Biophilia app.

Hmm. I may have to rethink my views.

This is such a common thing to happen. Loads of people I know felt exactly the same about them until I got mine just over a year ago. My friends are always picking it up and playing about with it when they're over. If they've crashed or whatever. It's perfect for casual living room usage when you can't be bothered getting your laptop out and don't want something big and heavy sitting on you.

When I was away in Oman over the past 2 weeks it couldn't have been any more perfect. I loaded it up with TV programmes and films. The battery life lasts for ages so did me for the whole journey. I could buy an Omani SIM card and use it for the Internet (although I just used WiFi, I have done similar in the past) and it was just so easy to carry about.