NEurope
jayseven

Bank Holiday Madness!

You funky europeans may not quite 'get' what's going on, here on our crazy lil' island.

So crazy, in fact, that I'm not sure I've got it quite right, but here goes;

Good friday is tomorrow, so we have it off as bank holiday. Monday is easter monday, so we get that off. However, friday is the royal wedding, so effectively next week is a 3 day week. Then the following monday is also a bank holiday for 'may day', which means the working week is 4 days then 3 then 4 again.

Which is pretty awesome.

Except for people who aren't working and aren't getting paid (like myself).

But the question is - do people have plans? Is anyone watching the wedding?

Personally, I've taken thursday 28th and may 3rd off, so I have 6 days off in a row (after working two days) to visit sheffield for madness and frolics. This long weekend I'm having a bbq on the beach, watching football and visiting london.

You guise?

I need plans for next Friday. I'm spending all week at Jodie's parents except she's replacing me for the boyfriend on Friday. I do not want to go back to her nan's (or at least spend the day there) because she'll be all "YAY WEDDING" except with 1000 times more words per minute.

But other than that...umm tomorrow I am packing. Monday I am getting trains. And that's it. EXCITING LIFE IS EXCITING.

I only work a couple of days a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, so this is going to make fuck all difference to me. The royal wedding can go fuck itself too, we are paying for loads of unnecessary shit as it is without a public holiday for a couple of nobodies getting married.

I'm one of the millions of people taking three days holiday to get eleven days off in a row.

I'm in Alnwick with family, then going down to Billingham for more family time. I am loving the time off.

We're traveling from alnwick to billingham on the friday when the wedding is on so hopefully the roads will be quiet.

On the motorway tonight there were two overturned caravans. People stood next to them in disarray. A gutting sight.

Haven't been working for 3 months and will continue to do exactly that for 2 months. So,a funky European says: Have fun working for 4/3/4 days :p

Edit:

Except for people who aren't working and aren't getting paid (like myself).

...I suck.

FACEPALM.gif

Edited by drahkon

I'm off Monday AND Tuesday, then the Friday and the following monday. Score.

Only thing is we've taken on the urgent care treatment room clinics at work (for weekends and public hols)...on the worst possible time ever. 4 public holidays and 2 weekends.... >_>

I don't work Fridays or Mondays, but I've booked next week off for the general sake of it. Means I've got Sunday off, but they pay you a Sunday premium, they won't add another time and a half bank holiday pay on top, the stingy fuckers.

Either way, I will be doing nothing special. I may have the Royal wedding on whilst I'm doing something important, but may have to change channels if Neighbours is on.

I'm pretty much going to be holed up in my room doing university work given the last deadline is may 6th, so no, nothing exciting.

Plus I honestly could care less (yes, yes I could! I should go do that.) about the royal wedding, whoopie fucking do dar!

I'm off til next Thursday as of last night. It's gonna be epic! I don't have to walk in to that shithole for a whole week! Unfortunately I'm working from next Thursday right over the Bank Holiday weekend until the following Thursday. That's gonna be wank. Maybe I should just quit and get a better job?...

I will have none of those days off and will probably be working longer shifts and it'll be twice as busy as usual.

Joy.

I've booked next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off. I booked them the say the wedding date was announced as a bank holiday.

I'll be heading over to Wales for the week, and it's my brother's birthday on Sunday.

As my job requires people to work rotating bank holidays, I'll be getting a 4 day weekend this weeked, but next weekend is my working weekend so i'm working next friday.

But i'm off the following monday and have booked the rest of the week off so all's good.

Every day's a bank holiday when you're an unemployed loser like me!

Well, if you ignore the fact that the banks are usually open, anyway.

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably end up spending Easter making Pokémon. But that's okay, because Easter isn't exactly one of the more interesting holidays.

Like alot of people I too booked off those 3 days between bank holidays.

I've got 2 static caravans booked in Torquay, one a 4 berth the other a 6 berth and myself, mrs Murr and 9 of my friends will be leaving for there within the next hour. Coming back on tuesday!

Got pub golf planned tomorrow night!

Also got Thorpe park planned and a lovely day planned with my parents in Brean, Burnham on sea!

11 days off starts now! Wooooooop

A lot of people also went a step further, book off 4 days before, 3 days in the middle and 4 days after and get 23 days off! (If you don't work weekends).

But I didn't even book the 3 days off, despite noticing a long time ago.

1) Don't want a holiday when absolutely everyone else is on holiday.

2) Still get a 4 day week, then a 3 day week, then a 4 day week.

3) Middle 3 days I can work in casual clothes, and it will probably be the quietest week ever in terms of client phone calls which will make it 100x better than usual.

4) My girlfriend would never have been able to get 11 days off so couldn't have gone anywhere.

Always working. I have an article due in on May 2nd and I have a new game to cover so I don't have the time to take time off

I may watch the royal wedding because I don't want to miss history unfold should the unlikely happen

My sort of new full time slightly more money but behind a desk job doesn't happen on bank holidays, but like a real slave to the world and money I am working a shift on a unit tonight, after spending the day in the sun but not drinking, and as for monday I am also working a shift(late so like half 1 to half 9) cos I get good monies for doing it, then tuesday I'm back into my 9-5 for the three days, and next friday I think I'm going to venture to kingston for a party in honour of uncelebrating the royal wedding! My friends think I'm a bit rubbish for working two of them, I'm inclined to agree.

In Norway, Thursay is a red holiday too, I Sweden, Wednesday as well(skipping Thursday I think, or it was friday). So we always have a five day weekend.

So the royal wedding is a red holiday in Great Britain? It wasn't like that here when the crown prince married.

May day, is that Labour's day? And it moves?

May day in the uk isn't primarily a labour day. Typically the first monday of may is off, but I heard that there are considerations to move the bank holiday to october as we have a rather congested period around easter.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

Typically there are 8 a year but this year we have the royal wedding as an extra, and next year we'll also have a 9th bank holiday to celebrate the queen's diamond jubilee which will give us a 4 day weekend in june.

Everyone at work got those three days off, so the studio is just closed until Tuesday.

But I'm still coming in every day to do personal work.

My girlfriend is finishing up her dissertation so it's not like we could go somewhere or anything.

Instead I'm just at work, but with music!

I work in a hotel. Christmas barely applies to me, Bank Holidays certainly don't. All you peeps working in retail think you have it bad? Hotels are open 365 days of the year. Major harsh, right??

Oh well. I'd only end up getting bored anyway. I know i would. So i'm not too jealous. Just one third jealous, or something...