NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Outside of Toy Story 1 & 2 (I haven't seen 3) and Monsters Inc. I've found pretty much every Pixar film underwhelming!... Cars (well obvisously), Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Up (and Wall-E, not mentioned).

Not a fan of good films? ;)

Up is fantastic. Probably one of the best animation films I've seen. The humour is classic, too.

Brave is ok. I wasn't a fan of the trailer, but the actual film has some good moments. Not every film can be as defining as Toy Story, Monsters Inc or Up. Not a bad film at all, I enjoyed it. It has a great middle section.

I've seen a few other films recently, Star Trek, Mr Bean's Holiday and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Star Trek was great, I thought. I loved how it co-existed with the already existing films, whilst also clearly doing it's own thing as well. There's a certain few scenes where this is evident and it was just such a fuck yes moment! I thought the "space" scenes were fantastically well done. Really enjoyed it. :)

Mr Bean's Holiday is weird. I love it, it's very charming, whilst being unusual as well. It's different to the other film, there's something more attractive about it, the way it is shot and executed. The last scene before the credits is one of my favourite things ever. :D

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - I read this book out loud to a class of 13 year old (or so) girls when on teaching practice. Last few pages in particular was a struggle. I thought the film was done in the right way, it took the story from the novel and put it onto the screen, whilst also adjusting a few parts to make it "work." I thought the actress who played the mother was excellent and played the part well. Could have been a story in itself.

Pretty sure I've seen a few others, too.

Brave is ok. I wasn't a fan of the trailer, but the actual film has some good moments. Not every film can be as defining as Toy Story, Monsters Inc or Up. Not a bad film at all, I enjoyed it. It has a great middle section.

That's pretty much what i thought. It took a while to get going, with a fairly generic beginning.

Then the middle bit happened,

which was a massive and nice surprise. Really not expecting that story line at all. So yeah, the whole bit with the bear was great.

And then the ending was a bit of a letdown. It ended too quickly and too 'expectedly'....

Also, for a Pixar film, there weren't that many funny bits....usually i leave the cinema quoting loads of funny lines, but it was mainly just slapstick jokes and pratfalling.

Brave.

My only gripe was that it was to sort and as result everything felt rushed.

It was still great though. :D

Finally got round to seeing The Dark Knight Rises

Thought it was brilliant, the whole story and the casting of Bane was inspired. Enjoyed the more depressed tone of the film and the City of Pittsburgh looked very good on the big screen.

Not to mention I cannot stop saying "It's not a car" repeatedly.

I watched The Cabin in the Woods today, which I think doubles the amount of movies I've watched so far this year. Slowly catching up to Coolness!

It was pretty good.

I watched The Cabin in the Woods today, which I think doubles the amount of movies I've watched so far this year. Slowly catching up to Coolness!

It was pretty good.

Just another 198 to go! :p

Just another 198 to go! :p

You've only watched 200 movies this year?

God, Cooolness. It's like you're not even trying.

I'm actually not. :heh:

Aside from 50 movies in January the rest is casual viewing. Been completing anime series recently. :)

Well, I'm definitely not going to catch up to you there! I haven't watched an anime in years.

Currently working on movie number three (Cars 2), so watch out, Coolness. :p

Because it's Pixar, and while I'm shamefully bad at watching movies, I'm always in a hurry to watch anything Pixar.

But then everyone said that Cars 2 wasn't that great, and here we are. :hmm:

I saw Searching For Sugarman today.

sugar.jpg

Genuinely great. And likely no one here (or in the UK) will know the twist/story, which is nice. Turns out my mum and her side of the family knew all about it...having lived in South Africa...that's all I'll say. A brilliant little film - gets you so entwined!

OK so as a producer he's attached to many money-making schemes. That's nice and stuff. But MGS is such a bonkers series of events... and the whole thing is based on a range of ridiculous b-movies, so it's going to be hard to imagine that they do it well! Whether it's more like Resident Evil, Doom or Hitman is yet to be decided... But what I DO know is that producers are NOT the reason anyone goes to see a movie.

Finally got round to seeing The Muppets. It wasn't great, but was entertaining enough.

Enjoyed all the cameos, particularly Donald Glover and Rashida Jones having a scene together.

Makes me cringe/wish it was in Swedish/looked good.

UNTIL I SAW FAMKE JANSSEN. One of my favourite faces. <3

I think it'll be enjoyable, actually. I surprisingly enjoyed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and this looks like it's pretty much the same deal.

Hadn't heard about this film before, but IGN just gave it a 'Great'.

Edited by Retro_Link