NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Heads up: Gentlemen Broncos is Film 4's 9oclock movie tonight. I remember being really interested in it when it first came out but never got round to seeing it - time to catch I think. Jermaine Clement is a stamp of quality-guarantee in my book.

Edited by gaggle64

I've watched so many movies in the past week. I want to give a rundown of the best.

SOM1_L.jpg

It's my 1st time seeing this, don't know how that happened. It's amazing. It has badass nuns, beautiful landscapes, nazis, songs & drama. All packed into a 2h30+ film. Watching this made me realise how I'd most certainly have a crazy love affair with a Nazi if I were around in the 40s.

Movies_Films_T_The_Terminator_010629_-12.jpg

I enjoy how quotable this movie is / how ingrained it is into our culture (despite it supposed to be a more "underground" film). It was all a bit ridiculous but after watching the second film I am in love with Sarah Conner. She's such a figure to admire. Plus, she's -- more or less -- identical to Fiona Apple which I love! Me gusta action films.

matrix01.jpg

Mind-fuck! I loved this. Rather than be all insane about the idea of us being trapped in a world of pretense while the 'real' world is somewhere else -- I'm more affected by the whole concept of humans being closer to a virus than mammals. I've lost all hope for the human race :p The canker of the world . Great movie overall -- whether to watch the sequels though?

~~

Also a little shout-out to The Aristocats. Such a cute film, it's lol.

You win at life for The Terminator and Aristocats.

The Terminator is still one of my favourite films. It did the whole Man vs Machine story better than the Matrix ever did. I remember being blown away the first time I saw it and still love it now. :)

As for watching the Matrix sequels, I wouldn't bother. Dannyboy will say otherwise, but the script-work is dreadful. They are average/below average films.

@Coolness Bears Cronenberg! I watched videodrome again the other day. So weird! I think I'll track down those ones you watched they sound interesting

Ironically The Matrix sets you up with the same decision regarding it's sequels...

You take the Red Pill... you don't watch the sequels, and you stay in Wonderland.

or

You take the Blue Pill... you watch the sequels, and the story ends.

@Coolness Bears Cronenberg! I watched videodrome again the other day. So weird! I think I'll track down those ones you watched they sound interesting

Yes! I think they will provide a basis for where his later works themes and ideas actually come from. :D I've not actually seen Videodrome myself. In fact those films where my first foray into Cronenberg so I have some great movies ahead of me such as The Fly, Crash, A History of Violence to name a few. :)

Dannyboy will say otherwise,

Yes, I will.

but the script-work is dreadful.

No, it isn't.

They are average/below average films.

No, they're not.

:heh:

Seriously, though, I really think you should watch them and make up your own mind on them. Loving movies so universally hated rather disillusions you to the idea that you should decide what films other people should watch.

All I can say in defence of them is that they're my absolute favourite movies of all time (all three of them), and I think they're all brilliant. The sequels can definitely seem jumbled when you watch them the first times, but there's so much beneath the surface. Probably what I love the most about them is that I keep discovering new, brilliant connections that really make the story so beautifully complex and complete.

That's my take on them, anyway. Where you go from there ... is a choice I leave to you.

Out of interest Danny, did you watch them as they came out at the cinema, or all together on DVD?

On DVD. I got into them fairly late, actually - only after the box set had come out. It should be noted that I was also completely lost after having watched the sequels the first couple of times. :heh: It wasn't until I'd read a bunch of articles on the trilogy and started thinking about some of the stuff that I started to realise how brilliant I found it.

I think that would have helped the sequels tbh.

It meant you didn't have those years inbetween after having been wowed by the first film, to dream about a sequel and where the story might go...

... instead, you just go straight into them, so it's easier to see them as three parts of the same bigger picture.

I can't imagine anyone who had to wait for the sequels, wouldn't have been disspointed by at least something that happened in the following films.

I'm pretty sure I watched them with a gap in between. I enjoyed the first one but never dreamt of the sequel or anything like that. Never read any books on it or anything else related to it. I still just felt like it was a three part film.

I think that would have helped the sequels tbh.

It meant you didn't have those years inbetween after having been wowed by the first film, to dream about a sequel and where the story might go...

... instead, you just go straight into them, so it's easier to see them as three parts of the same bigger picture.

I can't imagine anyone who had to wait for the sequels, wouldn't have been disspointed by at least something that happened in the following films.

Well, like I said, I wasn't exactly jumping with joy and declaring the sequels the Best Films Ever after watching them the first couple of times. :heh: I do understand the disappointment, but when I started to understand all the things going on in the sequels, especially the stuff below the surface, that disappointment turned to high praise. I don't know, maybe I just have weird taste in movies compared to the rest of the world, but I still think it's a shame not to give the sequels a chance, especially since they're definitely not movies most people understand fully the first few times.

I definately do enjoy them more now, now that I know what to expect from them and the story.

I've seen The Matrix MAYBE twice, but effectively once. Probably. And like half of Reloaded.

I want to watch the movies in a oner maybe. Meh. They seem a bit ...

It played out in a way you enjoyed?

Well it was what it was. I just accept things for what they are and not what they could have been. I guess it could happen with something I'm really invested in. Especially if I had read the book beforehand. But since I don't read fiction books, it doesn't happen often. If we take the live action adaptation of both Avatar the Last Airbender and Death Note. I can say that they weren't particularly good films. But I don't mind the fact that they changed so many things and didn't keep the quality from the cartoon/anime. To me they are separate.

So in conclusion. I accepted the Matrix films for what they were. And had no problem with the ending. I enjoyed watching the films, and when they are on TV and I don't have much else to do, I do watch them.

The Matrix is glorious.

I definitely want to watch the sequels again one day.

I'd actually genuinely love to take you through the sequels someday. I think there's some stuff in there that'd you appreciate based on our mutual interests and tastes.

When we've got our own place (very soon now), you'll be welcome round whenever. That goes for anyone really. We'll have space/spare sofa bed type arrangement, my flat will be the tits, and finally I am a kewl cook, so you'd be fed well.

[/Off topic]

The second one has some interesting fights if you can look past the 18th century CGI.

When we've got our own place (very soon now), you'll be welcome round whenever. That goes for anyone really. We'll have space/spare sofa bed type arrangement, my flat will be the tits, and finally I am a kewl cook, so you'd be fed well.

[/Off topic]

I love the concept of an open house, for any and all. I'll come to your door all soaking wet one day, demanding sanctuary.