Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario 3D Land

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.1up.com/news/super-mario-3ds-combines-galaxy-mario-64-e3

Following up on his revelation from yesterday where he vowed to try having it ready for release this year, Shigeru Miyamoto has now offered up some new details about the forthcoming Super Mario game for 3DS -- which will be on display at this year's E3.

"It's a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario on N64," said Miyamoto in London today, Edge reports. "It won't convey the message if I talk to you today, but if you play it at E3 that will give you more understanding of what I'm talking about."

He also reinforced that the system's 3D effect will have an impact on gameplay. He said, "For example, the floors floating in space: in 2D it's difficult to judge the distance, but in 3D it's really easy."

Nintendo hasn't committed to releasing games that require 3D in the past. Considering his statement, that might continue to be the case with Mario 3DS. The 3D effect may simply make it easier to perceive depth in platforming sections as opposed to be a necessary element to traversing certain areas.

Miyamoto confirmed speculation about the tail on the 'o' in Mario shown at GDC -- the Tanooki suit is making a return. "The tail you mentioned on the logo -- it's what you think it is," Miyamoto revealed. "You probably know what's going to happen using that character."

And in case you were unsure if you should trust his claim that it'll be out this year, he laid it out simply: the game is "completely original, and coming this year." It's not actually that surprising; there traditionally hasn't been much of a gap between the release of Mario games in Japan and North America. The last handheld Mario game, New Super Mario Bros., came out in May 2006 and was actually available in the U.S. before Japan, as was the case with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

He also reinforced that the system's 3D effect will have an impact on gameplay. He said, "For example, the floors floating in space: in 2D it's difficult to judge the distance, but in 3D it's really easy."

Making the game easier? If it does then:

tumblr_li50m0opMG1qdlkgg.gif

Making the game easier? If it does then...

He means that determining how far an object is in the distance and thus how far you should push the stick/hold jump for is easier to judge. In theory, this should allow them to make a more taxing game since they can push for more from us as a player.

As for combining Mario 64 and Galaxy... well that's all I need to know - merging 2 of my top 3 games ever = SOLD

I suspect though, he's talking in terms of level design since even the most open levels on Galaxy were really quite linear. Although certain levels were set up for a particular star when you selected it, you didn't have to go after that particular one. You could go off exploring and come across a different one. And yes, Galaxy did have levels with Pink Lumas in that gave you choices, but it was always very obvious. Hopefully, this will add a bit more mystery and sense of exploration to levels.

He means that determining how far an object is in the distance and thus how far you should push the stick/hold jump for is easier to judge. In theory, this should allow them to make a more taxing game since they can push for more from us as a player.

Good point.

For once I'd like to experience a very difficult Mario game.

Well, hope never dies.

Good point.

For once I'd like to experience a very difficult Mario game.

Well, hope never dies.

..have you played the NES version of The Lost Levels..? I did it on the VC last year and it was just insane. It was, however, very satisfying to beat :hehe:

I just hope for Galaxys physics/engine/controls with Marios explorable hub. (or rather a new hub in the style of the castle....lots of secrets to find!).

I dont mind smaller levels if there is still a explorable main area.

Not too bothered about the racoon suit really though, Id rather have new powerups of various sorts.

Although the Mario Galaxy games are generally very good, the one thing I thought never proved its worth was running upside-down on the underside of planetoids. Never really got used to that or thought it was a good idea.

So, if they made a more earthbound Mario game, with all the colour and variety of Galaxy, that'd be great (as long as it really doesn't have an odd camera angle, of course).

the one thing I thought never proved its worth was running upside-down on the underside of planetoids.

hu :?

Isn't the whole fun/saling point of mario galaxy the spherical gravity?

Nothing wrong with not liking that, but I think your in the minority.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Miyamoto:

"Super Mario on 3DS will use the system's gyro-sensor for control, according to Shigeru Miyamoto.

The system's gyro-sensor will be used to control the game's camera, similar to how the right analogue stick is used on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

"Sometimes people ask why the 3DS isn't double stick," Miyamoto told The Daily Telegraph. "One is normally used to control the camera, but having the gyro-sensor you can replace the analogue stick by moving the console, which is very intuitive."

Nintendo recently revealed that Star Fox 64 3D will also use tilt control. Tilt control is a controversial feature on the 3DS, as tilting the system can distort the screen's 3D effect, possibly making the game difficult to see and play.

While Super Mario on 3DS will take advantage of the hardware's gyro-sensor technology, Miyamoto said that StreetPass functionality likely won't be included, "unless a spectacular idea comes to mind"."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a318197/mario-3ds-to-use-gyro-controls.html

Hhhmm.

Edited by Aneres11
Link added

While Super Mario on 3DS will take advantage of the hardware's gyro-sensor technology, Miyamoto said that StreetPass functionality likely won't be included,

Wonder how many developers will include it if Nintendo doesn't do it in one of the/the most anticipated game/s for the 3DS.

Indeed, Face Raiders has always worked fine for me, even while turning around like a maniac. The only downside I see with those controls are that you could only really play it at home. It would be a bit strange to twist around in your seat in a train for instance.

I can imagine how camera control with the gyros might work and very well so. So, before we see how it is implemented, there is little point in condemning the idea.

In any case however, a Mario Galaxy like automatic camera would be required for the "day-to-day" camera tasks. Nobody wants to go spinning on the spot like mad, because they're just in a particularly insane level and have to constantly adjust the camera.

One possible solution I could imagine, would be replacing the freely controllable camera of Galaxy with tilting the 3DS. If the camera would pan accordingly if you only slightly tilted the 3DS and they could get it to work in a way, that reverting to the "default" position wouldn't undo the camera movement, that might be a magnificent workaround for a lacking second analog input. Unfortunately, that'd break the "sweet spot" for a moment. It might still be worth a try.

Nintendo recently revealed that Star Fox 64 3D will also use tilt control. Tilt control is a controversial feature on the 3DS, as tilting the system can distort the screen's 3D effect, possibly making the game difficult to see and play.

NOOOOOOOOOO

It had better be optional, I want my 3D to be uninterrupted.

Moving the 3DS in line with your eyes isn't that bad... it's just a pain in the arse.

Trying to play monkey ball with 3D on and using gyro controls was pointless though.

It all depends on the level of input required by the player and how the thing has been designed.

I rarely ever felt the need to touch the camera in either Galaxy game and I suspect it will be fine in this too. Map it to the d-pad and have done with it - that's what I say. Failing that, have rotating the camera on X and A or L and R depending on whether you want crouch on the face or shoulder buttons.

Don't go shoehorning gyroscopic controls for things that don't need them.

I rarely ever felt the need to touch the camera in either Galaxy game and I suspect it will be fine in this too. Map it to the d-pad and have done with it - that's what I say. F

I tweaked the camera constantly in the Galaxy games when allowed, but thats just me - I like to see around. :heh:

They should bring back Lakitu as the camera man!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!