N-Europe

Who Would Attend Your Dinner Party?

jayseven

You're throwing a dinner party, and you have space for 12 guests with an even number of male and female attendees.

Now, there are three ways to do this; alive, dead or fictional (or a combination), so if you can pick which way to do it, so who do you invite?

(I gotta think about this...)

To make... 13 at the table! :heh: Anyway, in no particular order:

1. Noam Chomsky (for linguistics)

2. Ludwig Wittgenstein (he'd storm out and ruin the party, but in an indescribably awesome way)

3. David Mitchell (the author, not the comedian - for being generally amazing)

4. John Robert Ross (more linguistics, this guy is less well known, but brilliant and hilarious.)

5. D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson (for being interesting, poetic, and polymathematic in all the right ways)

6. Richard Feynman (everyone should include this man if they want a good party)

7. Vladimir Nabokov (synaesthesia and win)

8. G.H. Hardy (largely just for writing A Mathematician's Apology, but also for his great work - including the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium)

9. Toshiro Kageyama (read Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go and you'll understand why)

10. Geoffrey Pullum (more linguistics, grammar, prescriptivist bashing and utter hilarity)

11. J.B.S. Haldane (very interesting guy on population genetics and more - see avatar)

12. Emily Short (for her interesting writings and discussion)

Hm, seems there's only one woman. Although that's the fault of past supression, maybe it reflects on me too... And I've no doubt forgotten some people.

Edit: I fail at reading. Going to have to think of some more women.

Yes, you sit at the head of the table, and your significant other at the other end :P

It's actually really hard to pick 6 women for a dinner party. The easy way out is to pick 6 women that are hot and nice to look at. I'd be interested in seeing a female forumer's opinion.

Menfolk:

Steve Coogan - Funny and clever.

Ian McKellen - Seems interesting.

Andrew WK - Surprisingly nice, despite his image. Also does self help stuff, so seems quite intelligent.

Simon Pegg - I imagine we'd get on.

Morgan Freeman - Someone needs to do a speech.

Womenfolk:

Dominique Lenore Persi - Not only is she my current "one", she can also provide ace accordion music.

Felicia Day - Geeks are awesome.

The woman with 3 boobs from Total Recall - Just because

The Queen - I bet she has some absolutely filthy stories to tell.

That woman who put a cat in the bin - Because if the conversation lulls, we can all just talk about how much of a shit she is.

Yes I know I've only put 5 of each. The other guy is me and the other woman is my Mum. That way I can say to my Mum "Look how many famous people I know Mum! And also check out my totally rad girlfriend, Dominique. Told you I wasn't gay."

Edited by Goafer

You're throwing a dinner party, and you have space for 12 guests with an even number of male and female attendees.

Now, there are three ways to do this; alive, dead or fictional (or a combination), so if you can pick which way to do it, so who do you invite?

(I gotta think about this...)

I tell you who would attend my dinner party: a bunch of sorry ingrate Chinese people who don't know their ass from their elbow but see fit to lecture me on the number of dishes, variety of flavours and quality of wine I present to them after five hours in the kitchen.

Bastards.

You do know one of those was papier mache?

I would want a mostly fun and entertaining dinner party! Despite the fact that I wouldn't be able to talk to a few of these people (language barrier)...

1. Dita von Teese

2. Kat Dennings

3. Amanda Palmer

4. Mary-Kate Olsen

5. Susie Lau (of Style Bubble)

6. Vivienne Westwood

7. Edsger Dijkstra (computer scientist)

8. David Eagleman (neuroscientist, author)

9. Marilyn Manson

10. Frédéric Chopin

11. 松本たかのり (vocalist of the GazettE)

12. Bruce Lee

awesome awesome thread idea!!!

1 - Muhammed Ali (But back when he was at his best in the ring) - I Loved the charisma an cocky attitude back when he was destroying people in the ring. And would love to hear his take on things but from his boxing persona.

2 - Barrack Obama - He's just too fucking cool to be president.

3 - Banksy - Just to find out who he is, and tell him how awesome his work is.

4 - Paul Rudd - He's so funny

5 - Eddie Izzard - Brilliant person

6 - Barney Stinson - Challenge Accepted!

7 - Kat Von D - Boing also... she can tattoo me, and we can talk about tattoos

8 - Hayley Williams - Boing - Also Paramore are awesome.

9 - Stacy Keibler - Boing - Also She was the hottest female from the WCW / ECW Invasion storyline way back when (when wrestling in its best stages)

10 - Alyson Hannigan - boing - <3 How I Met Your Mother

11 - Jenna Fischer - Boing - That is all

12 - Gemma Arterton - Boing - That is all

It was so much harder to pick girls then guys for some reason,

I can think of loads more guys to have at said dinner party, in fact I could probably have 10 guys and 2 girls at my dinner party, the 2 girls being Kat Von D and Hayley Williams.

other guys who I'd of included would be Will Smith, James Bond, The Rock, Bam Margera.

In no order

1. Stephen Colbert So he can interview/interrogate the other guests

2. Paula Dean I want her commentary on everything i eat

3. Alyssa Milano (circa 2005) eye candy, crush nostalgia

4. John Marston for the quips

5. Brian Wilson lunatic stories

6. Dean Winchester supernatural banter, big appetite

7. Mira Sorvino as Romy White

8. Alicia Keyes musical guest, maybe some karaoke

9. Maynard Keenan so i can pick his brain about his lyrics

10. Sarah Palin though she's required to be drunk the entire time

11. Patrick Stewart I just basically want him to say the blessing and mediate in all his glory

12. Sasha Grey for the filthy dialogue

No Björk or Tori Amos?

Bjork was originally on there, and while I love her, I chose based on who I think would spark up interesting discussions. She'd be all coy/quiet for most of the meal, then really awkwardly bring up the melting ice caps or something and everyone would go quiet.

Tori Amos would just piss everybody off. I can imagine she's one of those people at dinner who like announces that she's about to tell a story/anecdote/joke and then spends ages elaborately explaining it. Comes off as pompous or whatever...

11. 松本たかのり (vocalist of the GazettE)

Why use Japanese orthography, which is opaque to most people, when you can just say Takanori Matsumoto?

Anyway, I've had a bit more of a think, and managed to assemble an awesome dinner party, consisting of:

Noam Chomsky (for linguistics and more)

Ludwig Wittgenstein (he'd storm out and ruin the party, but in an indescribably awesome way)

David Mitchell (the author, not the comedian - for being generally amazing)

Richard Feynman (everyone should include this man if they want a good party)

Socrates (read Plato's Apology and you'll know why)

D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson (for being interesting, poetic, and polymathematic in all the right ways)

Emily Short (for her views on interactive fiction and game design)

Barbara Partee (for some amazing stuff in natural language analysis, along with an autobiography that convinces me she'd be interesting to talk to)

Margery Kempe (for writing the first autobiography, and being generally insane)

Murasaki Shikibu (for writing what may be the first novel, at the start of the 11th century)

Sophie Germain (polymathmatic, and corresponded with Gauss, plus may have saved his life)

Margaret Thatcher (bound to be interesting, if not quite someone you'd want to talk to...)

These people are chosen very much for being interesting rather than attractive, likeable, or even having many achievments (though unsurprisingly many of them do). But didn't consider people like Rosalind Franklin, because while she undoubtedly achieved a great deal, I'm not sure how interesting she'd be at a party. Whereas I know that, say, Wittgenstein would be great. This doesn't apply quite as much to authors of fiction, because as a general rule, you have to be pretty interesting to write something that's good to read.

And I've even got a carefully thought out seating plan, chosen for optimum hilarity:

S  MT NC ES DT SG
My gf                   Me
     MK RF MS DM BP LW

My favourite combination has to be Margaret Thatcher between Socrates and Wittgenstein. :heh:

Wow, didn't realise so many people were this [weaker word than misogynistic] :/

I'll do my list after I've analysed.

I think it's a mixture of past female supression leading to women getting the change to do very much or be recognised when they do along with the fact that most men tend have to interests more akin to those of other men. And I think maybe women often don't make such a song and dance about themselves. In the case of authors, there are loads of interesting women, but making all six authors women is a bit boring. It's funny though, people seem to be much more interested in imagining fictional interesting women than they are in recognising them in real life. Either way, it's odd that I personally know loads of interesting women, but it's hard to think of many famous women I'd find interesting.

Anyway, choosing hot women is fail.

[/slight incoherence]