N-Europe

Ways to relax and take your mind off things?

Eenuh

Just like the title says, can anyone give me things I could try to calm down and make my mind stop thinking about all the things it keeps thinking about?

I seem to be going through a period where there's a lot of stress, which is giving me both physical and mental problems. I can't stop thinking about bad things happening/going on, which is literally causing my body to be in pain/cause me discomfort. Which in turn makes me think about crap stuff. A vicious circle. And I don't know how to get out of it.

At this very moment I can't sleep because of this, while I have to be up in less than four hours for placement. I want to sleep but I feel like my body and mind won't let me.

So, anyone know of ways to relax and calm down? Not just for now, but also in every day situations. Could really use tips for that. =(

Both the psychological and physical impact of stress on the body can be devastating. Distracting yourself from the issue can only really provide temporary relief. Attack the problem. I know it sounds lame, but begin by trying to write down exactly how you feel. Don't try to solve anything, just write it down. Get your thoughts out your head. Order and examine each problem, worry and fear. Now create a new list. Remember the reasons why you're here. Write down your goals, your ambitions and all the things that you want to achieve. You want good things, you want to be proud and to succeed. Acknowledge and be proud of all the things you have already achieved. Most importantly, remember your motivation. Don't give up.

Meditation is the key, if not the "official" version, then at least the principal. Stroking a cat is relaxing because you're sitting in one place and have time to think, take things in.

Exercise is also extremely important (I say that sitting here at the computer!) If you've been out walking, your mind will be more relaxed and you'll have things in perspective.

If I have trouble going to sleep, I often mentally explore my biggest fantasies, such as owning a boat, swimming in clear, blue water, feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin and the cool water washing over my muscles. I'm soon in the land of nod!

Exercise is also extremely important..

I'd go along with that! I find playing football twice a week has basically been the only time I can escape my thoughts and actually find some enjoyment :smile:

I damaged the ligaments in my ankle just over 3 weeks ago and, as a result, haven't been able to play since and it's killing me not being able to go out and get that release :hmm: You definitely need to find something, though..

Should've mentioned no wanking/sex advice...

Anyway I meant more tips for things I can do at the moment itself. Exercise etc might be good, but when I'm standing in front of a class or am on my way somewhere, I can't just go and do exercise or start having sex or whatever.

Basically I fail at staying calm. It's gotten to the point where even going out for a meal freaks me out as I'm afraid I'll feel ill/dizzy/whatever due to past experiences. And being freaked out then actually makes me feel the way I'm afraid I'll feel. Meaning I'm reinforcing what I'm afraid of.

I skipped out on a meal last night because I felt it would happen again. And then today when in my placement class I started feeling the same way as well. I start focusing on something (like me feeling too hot or something) and then it just starts getting worse and worse until I feel like I might pass out. Stuff like that. I know it's probably all just in my head, but I don't know how to stop it. =(

Edit: forgot to say, I am interested in meditating, but I have no idea how to do this? I seem to have a really hard time to take my mind off things.

Edited by Eenuh

Are you experiencing panic attacks? :( I'd say deep breathing and trying to resolve the issues which are stressing you out (not always possible or easy, I know). Otherwise you keep burying the stress which mounts until you explode or pass out. I struggle with this sometimes too, so I know how bad it can be. Have you tried talking to people who are close to you? That can be comforting.

Walking - not to or from anywhere for any purpose, just a good old fashioned aimless wander when you have an afternoon or a couple of spare hours. I find it's great to just leave your mind on auto, crunching out all the business it needs to as you explore a new path. Usually helps me calm down when I'm wound up about something and gain perspective.

Are you experiencing panic attacks? :( I'd say deep breathing and trying to resolve the issues which are stressing you out (not always possible or easy, I know). Otherwise you keep burying the stress which mounts until you explode or pass out. I struggle with this sometimes too, so I know how bad it can be. Have you tried talking to people who are close to you? That can be comforting.

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess it could be panic attacks... It seems to come on all of a sudden, I start feeling really hot, sometimes to the point I start sweating (well more than you normally would). I feel dizzy, nauseous, my stomach hurts and my breathing gets more difficult. And all I want to do is to get out and hide in a toilet and get some water. Which is often something I can't do. I had this today during class, and I really had to force myself to focus on something else. Wasn't easy though and I seriously thought I was gonna pass out. =/

I don't know how to deal with the things that are stressing me out. I seem to get stressed out by a lot of things. And I don't know who to talk to about this. My family just seem to think stress is something you can easily avoid or something.

Should've mentioned no wanking/sex advice...

What's wrong with a quick bit of masturbation? It's burns energy, gives you a nice bit of satisfaction and it'll get you to sleep quicker.

Failing that, have a pad and pen nearby. Maybe you're feeling so awake is because you have all these ideas/shabba which you fear you'll lose. So write/draw* everything down so you know that if you fall asleep everything will be recorded.

*I had trouble sleeping because I started having inspiration about a project I'd be working on. And after saying to myself I'd remember I couldn't sleep. After whipping out a pad and doing some sketches I was able to sleep rather nicely.

Woke up this morning feeling terrible, mentally and physically. Thought I wouldn't accomplish anything.

Just to snap myself out of it, I walked into town, sorted out a few little things that were bugging me and walked home. When I got home, I still didn't feel 100%, but I had perked myself up with the fresh air and exercise. So, then I did my weight training, which I wouldn't have been capable of earlier in the day. Surprisingly, I was really strong (I'm still recovering my strength from when I was ill at Christmas), so that made me feel great.

Enjoying a fantastic pizza now and I'm looking forward to "The Biggest Loser" on TV tonight!

The moral of the story is you really can set off a chain reaction of things that'll make you feel better. I would suggest Eenuh sees a doctor, because those do sound like panic attacks. Generally though, a bit of activity can make you feel a million dollars.

Woke up this morning feeling terrible, mentally and physically. Thought I wouldn't accomplish anything.

Just to snap myself out of it, I walked into town, sorted out a few little things that were bugging me and walked home. When I got home, I still didn't feel 100%, but I had perked myself up with the fresh air and exercise. So, then I did my weight training, which I wouldn't have been capable of earlier in the day. Surprisingly, I was really strong (I'm still recovering my strength from when I was ill at Christmas), so that made me feel great.

Enjoying a fantastic pizza now and I'm looking forward to "The Biggest Loser" on TV tonight!

The moral of the story is you really can set off a chain reaction of things that'll make you feel better. I would suggest Eenuh sees a doctor, because those do sound like panic attacks. Generally though, a bit of activity can make you feel a million dollars.

Last time I mentioned something like this to the doctor (chest and back pain and tightness, really hard to breathe etc.), she just told me I should try to be less stressed and maybe work out my chest and back muscles. =/

Sounds a bit like what I have a habit of doing - worrying about worrying.

You start off by worrying about normal things for whatever reason. I used to feel like I wouldn't be prepared if I didn't think through bad scenarios and how to deal with them.

Eventually you notice that you're worrying is negatively affecting you, so you start worrying about worrying. Trying to figure out how to control it, stop it etc.

Just chill out - it doesn't really matter if your mind is stressed out and going 100mph. The worst thing that will happen is you'll be worried and stressed, which sucks. You don't need to spend any time at all fussing over that.

The problem I had, was that I thought I really did have to control my worrying, so I'd spend all my time worrying about how to stop it! The more you do this, the more you start to think your anxiety is uncontrollable and that you need to do something or else it will never go away.

Edited by SixT-4

HAY look it's SixT-4 again! :)

My relaxation methods!

- Going for a long walk with some music is smexcellent stuff, as some have suggested. I'm fortunate to have the seaside a stone's throw away so it's nice to go and sit on the beach. Except for when your ipod's broken and it's raining and fucking cold.

- Doing jigsaws. Me and my girlfriend started one two days ago and as I was putting my socks on at the end of my bed I saw a piece that could go into the jigsaw... two hours later I put my other sock on, two hours later I'd finished the puzzle and totally forgotten all the job-seeking lack-of-money stress that was eating meeeaAAAARGH SHIT OH SHIT STRESSSSS

- ... Get drunk. Not the most advisable method.

- Write a stream of consciousness. Be open and honest. At first the words are slow but then they come out faster than you can think them, and even just doing this is enough to gain some perspective on everything and often gives me the energy to get back on the horse, so to speak.

Exercise is good, or masturb... oh wait, no, that's not allowed.

If you're having a panicky moment, get someone to put their thumb up your bottom. Basically it snaps you out of the panic and gives your feelings of restlessness something to focus on.