Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The King's Speech

Beast

The-Kings-Speech-Poster-uk-poster.jpg

Has anybody else seen this amazing movie? I simply loved it. From the performances from Firth, Rush and Bonham Carter to the great story. 2011 has officially started off brilliantly so far!

Is there anybody else who is a fan of this?

It is actually a really really good film!

I got dragged to see this by my other half (a down payment on making her watch Thor, Green Lantern & Captain America), and ended up really enjoying it.

Although I would of enjoyed it more if there were more references to WW2, i know that's not the real story to the film, but I enjoy that genre alot, and I liked the footage that they showed in the film of Hitler gathering momentum and such, and would of liked a bit more pre-war prep in the film.

regardless of my want though it was a very very good film. And had a lot of funny moments too which I hadn't expected.

People don't understand that source material does not dictate how good a film is.

True, but it does affect how one decides to see a film. Maybe it's got all these cinematic pieces which do wonders to the soul, and one day I may go see it. But as far as I'm aware at the moment it's about a king with a speech impediment. I'm not really inclined to delve more into the sub/plot when the face value doesn't really appeal.

What? You're not the center of the world, you know? It doesn't matter when you saw it or when it came out where, the year is that of the film's first final release, that's it.

Jesus christ, I thought I was the Lord High Pedant... It's still in it's original box office running period, so it's perfectly fair to count it as a film to start 2011, especially as that's when he saw it in the cinema.

Jesus christ, I thought I was the Lord High Pedant... It's still in it's original box office running period, so it's perfectly fair to count it as a film to start 2011, especially as that's when he saw it in the cinema.

Depends what part of the world we're talking about. Stolen from the Wiki:

10 December 2010 (2010-12-10) (United States)

7 January 2011 (2011-01-07) (United Kingdom)

If we're running on Yankyland time, then by all means it's a 2010 film. But if you're a proud member of The United Kingdom you will take it as a 2011 film. S'up to you.

It's a 2010 film end of. But let's not get bogged down on that point.

Ya I heard this is a good one to see. I tend to have a soft spot for these kind of movies too.

I hear it's got awful oscar bait written all over it though. I'll try not to let that ruin my enjoyment :)

People don't understand that source material does not dictate how good a film is.

Ya I know. A lot of people wouldn't watch the social network because they didn't have a facebook account. It's crazy, I'm not into bobsleighing but I love cool runnings :D

Indeed.

I'm arranging to go see Black Swan (can't breathe/dying/fuuuu etc) tomorrow night, and in gathering my fellow film students, one guy said;

"Oh I don't think it's for me."

Why?

"It's about Ballet."

zkk0na.jpg

Fail.

What he should have said was:

"I can't go. I have a thing."

"What thing?"

"A penis."

Yeah I also got dragged to see it by my other half. It looked good and I knew reviews were supposedly raving about the film but it just wasn't something I would choose to see.

Whilst I did enjoy it a lot and can agree with why it has been scored so highly in reviews, I didn't think it was amazing in my opinion. Probably because it wasn't the type of film I really enjoy I guess, much like why I'm hesitating at seeing Black Swan. I'd enjoy it once someone made me watch it but its the initial dragging me there that would be the hard part.

I saw this the Thursday before last. Good stuff indeed. Helena Bonham Carter was great as the Queen Mum I thought. I kind of wished there had been more of the friendship between Bertie and his speech therapist shown because I enjoyed their interactions throughout. The headlines about the film seemed to pertain to the royal family trying to wash their hands off it, saying no one knows what Berties relationship with his speech therapist was and stuff like that, so I thought it was gonna be a bit more controversial or something.

I'd recommend it to anyone, eeven Eevil.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it this evening, thought it was very good.

Not exactly the intense rollercoaster ride of Black Swan, but it's not in any way trying to be. I don't even know why I'm comparing the two. I shouldn't.

Very strong performances from all 3 mainies, and Colin Firth was brilliant as a stammerer. I know because I had a stammer which, while "cured" still affects my speech ability. So yeah, really made my throat feel all weird throughout.

Very interesting cinematography I noticed too. A lot of "rule-breaking" - the focus at many point was the negative space, with the character shoved off the side (which is used as obvious symbolism, but also kinda sets it apart from similar films).

I was held the entire way through.