Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Best alcohol when on a diet?

Caris

I'm pretty clued up on calorie content and all that jazz for foods and normal drinks, but alcohol is one area where I know very little. So I need some advice.

I haven't really drank much over the past couple of year because of some medication I was on, but I've been off it for a few month now and started getting into my glorious drinking habits once again. Problem is, I'm still on the last stretch of my diet and don't want to upset it too much and I'm not sure what the best thing to drink when I'm out is?

I normally drink Fosters, or Jack D and Coke. Obviously larger is terrible and I'm not sure on spirit's.

Help meh!

Edited by Caris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably neat spirits is your best bet, common sense says smallest amount of liquids equates to smallest amount of calories.

^

Spirits have the lowest calorie count in all alcohol, obviously on a night out it's sometimes not a matter of avoiding them, but steer clear of fizzy mixes, go for orange and vodka or something instead.

Stay away from beer, wine, cider, all have high calorie content I'm afraid.

A pint of guiness has fewer calories than a pint of orange juice. Trivial Pursuit fact ftw.

yeah, any good pub will have diet coke. Funnily enough I was thinking this exact thing earlier- my conclusion was the same as everyone's here - spirits are the way forward! my beer belly may be thankful, but I'm sure my liver'd have a few words to say.

Don't quote me on this, and I imagine the difference might be negligible, but I also believe the whiter spirits have less calories than the darker ones.

I think recent research has shown this to be a myth, but sadly I fail horribly in providing a link to said research. I might have read it in the New Scientist or something...

I had a friend who tried to lose weight by drinking Magners Light... it must be disgusting though. :heh: Also in general cider doesn't give you as much of a beer belly - this must be jayseven's ploy.

A friend of mine who properly buffed up while at uni stayed well away from the beers, ciders and lagers and mostly had neat spirits or mixed with diet coke. Definitely worked for him so yeah, I agree with the above. Iirc his poison of choice was whiskey.

A friend of mine who properly buffed up while at uni stayed well away from the beers, ciders and lagers and mostly had neat spirits or mixed with diet coke. Definitely worked for him so yeah, I agree with the above. Iirc his poison of choice was whiskey.

You wouldn't really need to avoid them if you were buffing up though as you'd need extra calories. He could have been doing it to be generally healthier but then drinking spirits would have contradicted that.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!