Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New Year's Resolutions

Daft

calvin_resolutions.jpg

Yes, it's THAT time of the year again and this is THAT thread.

Thought I'd start it a little early because I always feel people rush their resolutions and just pick the general and the obvious. Is there any point in picking those? Is now the time to really start losing weight? Surely any time is, your life quite literally depends on it.

Anyways, the first and only one I've come up with so far is to really try and complement people. I take for granted that a lot of people's pluses, assume they are the norm. Recently I've started vocalising complements more but this year I'm going to ramp it up (it's harder than you'd expect when people think a complement for you must actually be a back-handed insult. Hey, I can be nice). It's part of my continuing mission to seek out balance with my critical nature, to boldly go where I have not be bothered to go before.

So, to start my list,

1. Complement people more.

I think I need to get in on that complimenting people thing because I do mean to a lot of the time, its just that its easier and more fun to be a sarky shit. I'm good at being unnecessarily harsh sometimes, although its usually tongue in cheek, people don't always interpret it that way. Besides, reciprocity is a fundamental law of humanity. I'd like it to swing my way sometimes too :heh:

Also; be more motivated in general.

Amen. That's my reasoning.

New Year's Resolutions? Why bother? Do what you want right now!

To fully evaluate change you need a marker of time and although 'right now' should be as good a time as any the beginning of a new year is a much more memorable, and even communal, point in time.

That is why.

Complementing people is a rather grand thing to aim for. Is daft brooding? Does he want a lady friend? Or... did he just sperror...

ANYWAIS.

I should probably drink less. I have it all rationalised. I'll be starting my (voluntary) jobs mid-jan, so getajob is being dealt with. Ish. Booze intake will go down as responsibility goes up. I think.

I'm not good at resolving myself/revolving myself. As to what I hope to achieve this next year;

- Have a holiday (not had one since Italy 3 and a half years ago)

- Make a bird table

- Get my own place

I'm fairly certain that there's scientific research confirming that new years resolutions are basically doomed to fail and merely bring about misery when they do, so I try and avoid any such seasonal proclamations of my intent.

That said, there are things in my life that need to change, so that's something to think about.

Pretty much, Dan.

Self control is a limited resource, clustering all the things that will require a serious focus of will into the turn of the new year is just begging for failure.

Here's the research to which Dan might be alluding:

The brain area largely responsible for willpower, the prefrontal cortex, is located just behind the forehead. While this bit of tissue has greatly expanded during human evolution, it probably hasn't expanded enough. That's because the prefrontal cortex has many other things to worry about besides New Year's resolutions. For instance, scientists have discovered that this chunk of cortex is also in charge of keeping us focused, handling short-term memory and solving abstract problems. Asking it to lose weight is often asking it to do one thing too many.

In one experiment, led by Baba Shiv at Stanford University, several dozen undergraduates were divided into two groups. One group was given a two-digit number to remember, while the second group was given a seven-digit number. Then they were told to walk down the hall, where they were presented with two different snack options: a slice of chocolate cake or a bowl of fruit salad.

Here's where the results get weird. The students with seven digits to remember were nearly twice as likely to choose the cake as students given two digits. The reason, according to Prof. Shiv, is that those extra numbers took up valuable space in the brain--they were a "cognitive load"--making it that much harder to resist a decadent dessert. In other words, willpower is so weak, and the prefrontal cortex is so overtaxed, that all it takes is five extra bits of information before the brain starts to give in to temptation.

The more shit you saddle your brain with, the more likely it is to short circuit and bail on everything

Edited by The Bard

To fully evaluate change you need a marker of time and although 'right now' should be as good a time as any the beginning of a new year is a much more memorable, and even communal, point in time.

That is why.

Fair enough, I never liked the idea of new years resolution, so many people don't achieve their goal doing it. I just don't like the idea of waiting for that day, you start getting comfy saying 'I'm going to be the best on the 1st of Jan!' but then on that day they usually say 'I'll be my best tomorrow' and then completely forgot it in a week or two. Hence why I say, if you want it, go and get it right now, screw waiting for the day.

Mine are:

- Get back to the gym

- Organise a flat

- Stick with my crappy job

These were/are things I've been doing already, so it's not like quitting smoking or something as I find starting at the new year is irritating anyway.

The gym one I wanted to start last month, but my student card got lost, so I can't join til the gym re-opens 3rd January, boo and such.

WTF else am I gonna do whilst I'm on the treadmill......

I'm just saying, it's no good just standing on a treamill, you have to turn it on and aahahahahah, sorry you've got to turn it on and start AHAHAHAHAHA!!

Apologies. Ahhhh. Basically you.... have to.... run on it!

You, running?! :D

Basically I'm just trying to convey that you probably will be unable to do that whilst playing Uncharted. So you will have to cut down on Uncharted if you succeed. Apologies for being unable to control my laughter man.

And cut down your Uncharted intake.

WTF else am I gonna do whilst I'm on the treadmill......

I'm just saying, it's no good just standing on a treamill, you have to turn it on and aahahahahah, sorry you've got to turn it on and start AHAHAHAHAHA!!

Apologies. Ahhhh. Basically you.... have to.... run on it!

You, running?! :D

Basically I'm just trying to convey that you probably will be unable to do that whilst playing Uncharted. So you will have to cut down on Uncharted if you succeed. Apologies for being unable to control my laughter man.

Uncharted during sex it is then!

All your goals for the year should be SMART.

Specific

Measurable

Achievable

Realistic

Timely

With that in mind:

-Reduce body fat percentage to under 15% (by April 1st). Currently sitting at around 18-19% so this should be achievable in the given time scale. Which moves me nicely onto the next goal

-Start doing more cardio. Outdoor runs, swimming. 3-4 times each week. 25 minute runs, 50 minute swim sessions

-Stop going out as much, once a week to clubs, another pub night is acceptable

-Achieve at least a 2:1.