Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Ikea Thread

Will

and of course and other home furnishings you care to talk about...

So with many of us being at an age where it's appropriate to buy things for our homes here is a thread to discuss what delightful things we plan to, or already have, bought.

I'm a big fan of Ikea stuff, it's cheap (relatively), stylish (generally) and you have a lot of fun building the stuff, kind of like a giant adult lego set, only you're a bit screwed if you smash it up at the end.

So having just moved to America, and gotten rid of all of my stuff back in the UK (I came here with just a suitcase) I've just moved into a place and I need to furnish it, naturally Ikea is my first port of call. Being a sociable chap I've moved in with a few other people so the only room I need to buy for is my own bedroom.

I like to have a sleeping and a chilling area and luckily the room I'll be in long term has two distinct areas to it. I'm in a big square one at the moment but that shouldn't really cause too much trouble. Anyway, the things I need are: bed area, TV area, and desk area. Cupboards are built in so I don't need a great deal of storage extra.

So, my intended purchases:

Malm Queen Bed ($199 + $250 for the mattress)

76597_PE196885_S4.jpg

Karlstad Loveseat ($579)

0115895_PE269808_S4.JPG

Lack TV Unit ($49)

59632_PE165520_S4.jpg

Patrik Chair ($199)

36245_PE127320_S4.jpg

Vika Gruvan Desk ($169)

0086560_PE215384_S4.JPG

Those are the main bits, I will also buy a rug and some of those cool glowing lights to go around things. Then a few storage boxes and laundry baskets, then I should be set I think.

So what's the thoughts? Good things? Right colours? What do YOU want to buy?

Ikea is a repository for flimsy ass furnishings that have been totally sterilised of any personality that are made for people, and most often young couples, that want to create a character for their living space by plastering their walls with identikit faux modern art pieces with plywood frames, and 75% polyester fur-effect rugs that serve to provide only a transparent superfice for the charnel house that is their collective soul. It is for people whose sense of style is informed solely through department store catalogues and mass advertisements.

I think I'm beginning to sound like Phoebe from Friends in that one episode about the furniture.

I think I'm going to kill myself because I just made a Friends reference.

PS. I have an Ikea lamp. I r poor.

The best thing I ever bought from IKEA was this huge three-door wardrobe/chest of drawers combination thing. Was really spacious, only cost 70quid and I put the whole lot up myself. Huge thing, it was.

I'm looking for a tv unit, as my tv is currently standing on my bedside lamp whilst I find something right for it. I like the one you posted, Will. I'm looking for one a bit taller though and not as wide. Probably half.

If I could, I wouldn't go down the IKEA route. But, the stuff is usually cheap, so its cool. Would love some actual oak or other nice-smelling-wood type furniture.

I echo The Bard.

Had a major vision of my dwelling in the future when watching The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant a few weeks ago. In the film she has the wall with a massive mural of some renaissance Greek-inspired painting, and I realised I've never been inside a house that has had character like that. And I want to do something similar (although not renaissance, because I don't particularly connect with that), just make my house my own and cool and unique.

petra.jpg

petra_von_kant.jpg

Ikea is a repository for flimsy ass furnishings that have been totally sterilised of any personality that are made for people, and most often young couples, that want to create a character for their living space by plastering their walls with identikit faux modern art pieces with plywood frames, and 75% polyester fur-effect rugs that serve to provide only a transparent superfice for the charnel house that is their collective soul. It is for people whose sense of style is informed solely through department store catalogues and mass advertisements.

I think I'm beginning to sound like Phoebe from Friends in that one episode about the furniture.

I think I'm going to kill myself because I just made a Friends reference.

PS. I have an Ikea lamp. I r poor.

Pottery Barn!

I went into one when I was in the States just for the joke of it. And got bored after about three seconds and walked out again. My life is that interesting.

Patrik Chair ($199)

36245_PE127320_S4.jpg

I have that chair at home' date=' and it is mega comfy. A really good purchase. Ours is about 6/7 years old now and only shows slight wear.

I love eating meatballs at IKEA. My wife loves making me walk round for about 5 hours, so I buy some Swedish chocolate and just pop some in every now and again.

Sometimes genius, sometimes meh.

I haven't been to Ikea in years, I refuse to go. The one in Edinburgh/just outside Edinburgh is one gigantic spiral. You think you've done all four sides of what you assume is a square, but in fact it just carries on concentrically into the depth of HELL. Hours. Years. My life.

I once just gave up the will to live and lay there.

I quite like building the stuff though. It's fun.

Ah I'm glad you like that chair after extended use, Mr_Odwin. It certainly seemed good on a quick test but it's good to know people have found it good over a number of years.

I think I'm pretty much decided that the stuff above is what I'll go for, should make for quite a nice space in my new place.

Also some of those Ikea Hackers things are very good, I wish I had the skills to do some of them!

Dude, I find it really interesting that the demographic of this forum can be split in terms of how they think of Ikea. It's something that doesn't seem to evoke any emotion in me other than absolute boredom.

Any way, I find it difficult to find that there is such a thing as a "fan" of Ikea. That's like saying you're a big fan of A4 Ruled Blotting Paper, or of Comic Sans...Or..

Raised lettering, pale nimbus... white.

Impressive. Very nice.

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.

The tasteful thickness of it.

Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

It's borderline psychosis yo!

Dude, I find it really interesting that the demographic of this forum can be split in terms of how they think of Ikea. It's something that doesn't seem to evoke any emotion in me other than absolute boredom.

Any way, I find it difficult to find that there is such a thing as a "fan" of Ikea. That's like saying you're a big fan of A4 Ruled Blotting Paper, or of Comic Sans...Or..

Raised lettering, pale nimbus... white.

Impressive. Very nice.

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.

The tasteful thickness of it.

Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

It's borderline psychosis yo!

We get it, you fucking hate Ikea, move the fuck on.

We get it, you fucking hate Ikea, move the fuck on.

I don't hate Ikea, I'm just baffled by people that profess to love it. Also don't get why you're irritated by people that don't share your opinions on it. This is "The Ikea thread," not the "Profess your undying adulation for Ikea and all it represents thread," so chill aht larv..

Well I guess it's the same as anything, some people like particular games, particular music, particular clothes... particular furniture. I'm just a big fan of the simplicity of it, the way you can mix and match so even though your particular items may be owned my many people the way you actually use them can be very different.

All their stuff looks too clean and cold, if you know what i mean. And why is everything so Square? Right angles all over the place, no curves.

This quote pretty much sums up what I love about it, clean, cold, square etc. I don't want my furniture to be a big statement about the person I am. I personally can't imagine anything worse than living in the kind of space that chairdriver posted above. Different things for different tastes though, I'd certainly enjoy visiting but it's not for me.

I don't know if it's unique to gaming but there seems to be a thing on this and other forums I frequent that anything popular, or enjoyed by the masses is bad, and that's simply not the case. I really couldn't care less how 'individual' I am, as long as the stuff I do/things I buy make ME happy.

To summarize, I like stuff and sometimes other people to do but other people don't like it and we're debating it on a games forum.

I agree with will', some people think anything mainstream is bad, and being unique is the best. Some people don't like being unique, some people do. Some people like some types of furniture, some don't.

It is the Ikea thread, but it's like the Wii boards. If you hate Ikea, you have no interest in it, why come in here. People want to discuss their purchases, what they like about it, not argue with people about why it's good or not. There was already a post about disliking Ikea, and no one engaged with it, and so there were more by the same person. Can't you get the clue?