Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

N-Europe's Golden Moments

Dyson

Seeing as how there don't seem to be any awards running yet and I want somewhere to post this, I was just trawling through my Photobucket and found this:

fleenuh.png

From the good old days of the Fleenuh relationship being kept under wraps, or maybe even not having happened yet. But this was a bit of a thing at the time, and it reminded me of some of the great stuff we've seen on these very forums.

So, here's my question to you.

DSC00378.jpg

(An old photo - once again taken for N-E..!)

Got any good screenshots/photos/stories from the N-Europe history books?

Ah, sorry dude, no screenshots or anything. Just thought I'd say that it always saddens me when threads of nostalgia are made and I realise how much I've forgotten.

The good news is that vbulletin 4.0 has some nifty hacks/mods which allow the ability to 'like' a thread, which could lead to a hall of fame, or at the least help with ~Of The Year awards.

Unfortunately we're on 3.8 and I can't find anything similar to help. But essentually most 'LOLO' movements on the forums, from a mod POV, have been a bit of a sigh.

But I'll take this moment to say that these forums and all their incarnations have been a part of my life since I was barely a teen. Even now, my daily routine demands N-E for breakfast and as a nightcap. I care for this place to a ridiculous amount, and without the so-called 'friends' I have on here I'd definitely be a lot more depressed, if not dead. Each 'epic' thread I've been around for has been another reason to sigh, because even though they're fun to experience they're generally incompatable with intelligence. I love this place because of the people that are here, for the honesty and the efforts that people put into it. I constantly want to try and better it, and I hate to be pompous about it but a lot of what I do/did is not recorded in any log or anything (the same is said for all mods and admis) -- it is just something that, with scraps of my heart, I'm just glad to do.

I mean ffs we've seen relationships form, we've seen children born! We've seen the opposites to these and we've seen more, and more. I'm honoured to have met more than 50 people who frequent on these boards and I can gladly say that not one of them has been a disappointment - not one of them a douche or a cunt or a dickhead. But then I never met rokhed.

The strangest thing for me is the fact that I don't give a shit about nintendo. When I converse with my RL friends about what I've been up to and I have to try and explain mafia games or the BISH it fucking sucksTo add to that; much of what I talk about to friends stems from the discussions I have here. "I have a friend who argues that..." is a frequent starter for me -- That is, I consider people here geniune friends and also, regardless of whether I've taken part in the discussion, I consider their opinions worthy of future debate.

Sometimes I wonder if it's somewhat unhealthy. I have RL friends, but they've dwindled since I moved back to brighton. In every event N-E has been my stability. People here know me more than people IRL do. It is the select few who are allowed to crossover. Saying that, these forums dictated a large and important part of my life - my furore in sheffield was entirely (except for one tiny bit :P) due to shorty. As if i'd go to uni because this dude I know online but never met said I was good at english so may as well give his course a go? Fucking hell. Insanity maximus.

I've worked for the main site, I've made images, posted news stories. I've been a mod, nod, admin, badmin and a secret identity. It both pisses me off and makes me unbelievably proud to be associated with these forums, to the extent where it is ridiculous and totally a barrier for girlz. My current girlfriend is fairly understanding... But I don't think she quite gets it.

I dread to think how I'll be in 20 years time. My kids will be posting in here, and people will still be making threads about religion/politics/nostalgia/football. Fucking hell. Can it last that long?

This place grew up with me. I refuse to let it go. I've considered tattoos to memorise it several times... but the logo sucks.

BIGDEEPBREATHTHENSIIIIIIIIIGH

It's an odd one, ain't it? I've spent more time on these forums than I have with most people I know in real life and I can't help but wonder how long it'll go on for. More recently I've taken to having breaks from the forum, but it's never out of boredom or something I do on purpose, it's just me having less time to spend on here than I'd like. Real life sure is a kicker in that regard.

I've wondered myself how long the forums will be around for, in one form or another. I've been here since Cube-Europe (I don't even know how long ago that was now, christ) and have ingrained myself in to the community along with many others, in such a way that I think I'd be lost if I didn't have this place to come and check out. I know so much about so many people on here that I couldn't just upsticks and leave. I've tried joining other communities in the past but nothing clicked quite like this. Peculiar stuff.

Long may it continue, eh?

Ah, sorry dude, no screenshots or anything. Just thought I'd say that it always saddens me when threads of nostalgia are made and I realise how much I've forgotten.

Me too. I have vague memories of key events that have been great, but no 'evidence' to speak of. Not that it's necessary or relevant.

I took over a year 'out' of the forums. I got a job, made great friends and sorted out my education. But on my return there was still a healthy dozen-or-so who remembered me, if not the same remarkable moments that our memories shared. I think there are a core group of N-Ers who will forever be cyclical to these boards. In my mind, no matter what happens in my life I'll be able to return here and be remembered.

But what is most likely is that it will be I who is here to do the remembering.

It doesn't bother me yet. As I said, people here are friends to me. Even when I appear harsh I only do so because I know they won't immediately scoff and turn their backs on me. I have a fair amount of leeway here. I do love it, most verily :) Friends here do come and go, but the source stays the same. Petty thanks and personal messages do well to pass my time.

@Dyson: As someone who doesn't play Halo... Holy shit, not only is that awesome, why the hell did you jump in the first place?

Also, I may not be as heavily ingrained into N-E history or community as many others, but I greatly enjoy coming here. To think that the reason I know this place is because I bought a random (yet excellent at the time) Portuguese Magazine, was introduced to their forums (which no longer exist), but managed to follow a Cube-Europe link during my time there? (Posted by former N-E user Myke Greywolf, no less)

But to join these forums took a lot longer. I don't usually join forums, considering most of them are uninteresting and/or ephemeral. N-E is none of those things, however, they are awesome and eternal.

And yes, this is a compliment to everyone involved, including the community, of course.

As a side-note, I do not keep N-E on my favourites. Favourites are reminders, post-its, phone numbers, addresses. if there is a site I cannot possibly forget about, I won't add it.

N-E, live long and prosper. I'm sure that's a reference to something, but it is not my intention to reference things, I merely speak my sincere wishes.

Yes I consider you all friends.

I only just started a "NE Memories" album on Facebook very recently.

Somewhere I started saving everyones signatures and avatars but I tried looking for it when I started this FB folder and couldn't find em. Annoyingly.

But I think there is one thing in the history of N-Europe that rises over all others. The one thing that everyone looks upto when they think of "N-Europe awesomeness" and that is;

I R ARTICHOKE

Edited by ReZourceman

I dread to think how I'll be in 20 years time. My kids will be posting in here, and people will still be making threads about religion/politics/nostalgia/football. Fucking hell. Can it last that long?

I've wondered myself how long the forums will be around for, in one form or another.

N-E, live long and prosper. I'm sure that's a reference to something, but it is not my intention to reference things, I merely speak my sincere wishes.

(Star Trek)

Sorry guys. A good ship sinks with its captain and when I'm out of here this place is going down in a blaze of glory ;)

I agree with jayseven's sentiment. While I certainly haven't been here for nearly as long as other people, I've still been here for more than 3 years, now! I signed up because I had followed the main site for some time, having missed a proper source for European Nintendo news up until then. This was back when it was called Revo-Europe. When the site was relaunched as N-Europe, I think that was when I decided to join the forums. In the beginning it was strictly for the Nintendo discussions, and I didn't move outside the gaming boards. Yet somehow I started going into the general boards, and as I did, my relationship with the forums and its inhabitants started to change. It moved on from being a place to discuss Nintendo stuff to being a community, a social circle of people I genuinely cared about and thought of as friends. Today I rarely set foot in the gaming boards since I don't have that much of an urge to actively discuss Nintendo stuff anymore. I'm still a gamer at heart and a Nintendo fanboy (the term here being used with the most positive connotations), but to me N-Europe is much, much more than that. It's become a part of my life. If I'm offline for a few days, I start to get anxious because I'm not keeping in touch with the forums. If I someday disappear for good, especially if it's without any explanation, you can trust that something big and drastic has happened in my life.

This place means a lot to me. And contrary to popular belief, it has not had any negative effects on my offline life (besides reducing the amount of time I spend there). If anything, it has improved my offline life, and the people I've got to know from here over the past years have helped me evolve and improve as a human being, simply by being different than the people I know in real life and offering me something new. They ... you have played no less part in shaping who I am today than people in my offline life, and only for the better. For that I thank you.

To N-Europe! May it continue to prosper for many years to come!

cheers.jpg

I actually sometimes forget this is a Nintendo forum as I'll visit every board except the ones dedicated to the big N, although it was the gamecube that took me to cub-europe over 8 years ago. I've always kinda been on the outskirts of this place, I've seen various 'newbies' rise up the popularity ranks to become people whose posts and thoughts I take the time to read. As everyone has said I've got to know some really great people through this place, some are gone but some are still here and i'm sure some are still to join.

I joined while it was Cube-Europe under the name Ninja Mullet. I used to spend most of my time in the gaming sections back then but I gradually seeped into the general chit chat more and more. I changed my name to The Peeps and even became a newsposter but once I started college I had a lot less time for the site and I think I must've gone at least a year without posting anything or nothing regular anyway. Then I came back :D true story.

It's the users I remember more than the threads though. I like this place for it's diverse group of opinionated users who manage to be tolerant of others while posting their own thoughts. On top of that everyone here is fun and not a day goes by where at least one of you doesn't make me laugh.

The strangest thing for me is the fact that I don't give a shit about nintendo. When I converse with my RL friends about what I've been up to and I have to try and explain mafia games or the BISH it fucking sucksTo add to that; much of what I talk about to friends stems from the discussions I have here. "I have a friend who argues that..." is a frequent starter for me -- That is, I consider people here geniune friends and also, regardless of whether I've taken part in the discussion, I consider their opinions worthy of future debate.

This.

My friend Laura asked me who Michael Jamieson was because she saw him on my Facebook wall, (not in an interogative way, just because we were talking about Facebook), and I tried to phrase it in a way that actually does justice to who he is, because "Funny internet person" or "A poster on a forum I go on" does not suffice.

And also, stunningly, I've made friends with this guy through mutual friendship with Razz (after seeing him as a mutual friend on Facebook, then drunkingly going up to him in a club). I think I must have implied I've actually met Razz, which isn't the case but the surreality of it adds, and regardless I get excited when I receive texts from Razz, because they're always stunn.

This.

My friend Laura asked me who Michael Jamieson was because she saw him on my Facebook wall, (not in an interogative way, just because we were talking about Facebook), and I tried to phrase it in a way that actually does justice to who he is, because "Funny internet person" or "A poster on a forum I go on" does not suffice.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I like this thread a lot :) Particularly Jay's, Danny's and Chair's posts'. Something really pure about them.

I've been here since...2008 or 2007, I'm not perfectly sure but I've only posted here regularly since June of this year. Really enjoyed my experience so far and it has become part of my daily routine. As soon as I come home from school I eat my dinner, put on some coffee and go on N-E before study :)

I can only hope that I'll always find the time for N-E. :D

Yeah, I barely venture into the gaming boards. I joined for Gen Chit-Chat, following ReZ over with Chair from HCRealms.com.

Pretty sure I refer to people here as "oh this person I know" or "a friend" etc. Which is nice/strange/good.

My favourite thing is when I see I have Letty as a mutual friend on Facebook with people. Come on Scotland. Come on Aberdeen. (Sad she barely posts anymore)

It's the forum I feel most "at home" in. Others I find funnier, or more centered on a certain interest I have etc, but this feels like the common room of my internetz, where realistic people go.

3623736267_95e2ece644_o.gif3623736267_95e2ece644_o.gif3623736267_95e2ece644_o.gif3623736267_95e2ece644_o.gif3623736267_95e2ece644_o.gif

Their problem, I say. If they consider it weird that you have friends online, they need to follow the rest of us into the 21st century. :heh:

Maybe so.

I have a friend who lives in Halifax, we've spoken to each other for about 2/3 years. Since i met him, via BF2142, we've spoken nearly everyday since then, and I've never met him in person.