NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

I totally learned the intro to this on bass today*:

I got blisters on me fingers!

*I can play the rest too, but I haven't memorised it yet. The intro is the only tricky/ interesting bit anyway.

Yes this was the highlight, I've had a slow day...

Edited by Goafer

I made my first Psychology experiment of my free will on social behaviour. And it worked out well enough given the limitations. :)

I got offered a job yesterday.

It all began with a phone-call from a recruitment agency from Bristol (of which i don't have a clue, or remember registering with but thats a different story). They offered me the position of Admin/Accountant in a local company around Chepstow. Starting salary is £18,500 with bonuses, full-time Monday - Friday 8am until 4:30pm, with the option to work over-time if required.

Of course, i was over the moon. People say no jobs will fall into your hands, you have to work for them.

But..........., there was a slight sniggle with the job. Something they didn't tell me, until they said i start Monday. The number they gave me to call the company didn't match the area code for Chepstow. I gave it a call, they said they are looking forward to seeing me on Monday at 8am...................................... In Swindon.

Which is funny, for a Chepstow-based company. So, i ask them more about the job. Turns out the agency were telling a few more fibs/missed out some info. The job is actually based in Swindon, not Chepstow. They asked me to re-locate to Swindon because the job involves a lot of travel to other offices around the country. Offices include Birmingham and Leicester. They said i'll need my own car for the travel, but they would pay for the petrol.

So, after hearing this i told them that i was un-able to take the job. For the reasons being that i don't want to re-locate, and for an 8am start i can't get to the office in-time to start work. No matter how hard i tried.

So, called back the agency and told them to not call me again.

Also, i didn't get a job back in an old company i worked for (Fairfields) and i didn't get the job with Lego, which is a shame.

Got to spend the day with 2 good friends in art museums in Dublin today :D

Loved it and it was very interesting.

I live practically on the other side of the country though so we had a lovely 6 hour bus journey. *yawn*

Our art teacher came with us too, she's an absolute legend though :D Nice finish with a cup of tea.

I've spent the past two days in London and it was fucking awesome. I adored the place itself but I also went to see Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem. It was just unreal. Talking to my friend as we went in I said 'The one thing I really want them to play is Yeah' - they did. They extended it to about 12 minutes, it was one of my favourite ever moments at a gig.

Also attended the protest, saw some sights and met a random friendly australian who bought us beer. I really wish I had chosen a London uni....

I met up with Molly. Definitely the best thing to happen today and today was a pretty good day.

I've been rediscovering some ELO in the car during my daily drive to work. God I love that band. Mr Blue Sky can change your entire day. I suggest everyone take in some ELO.

Damn, music is so important.

Anyway, there's been a really fit girl kicking about at work. Has the eyes that say 'I could break your heart but you'd enjoy every minute'. I like it. So...I did some talking to her and we've had some great patter. I then got her email address and shot her an email today saying she seems interesting and that we should talk more.

We will see where this goes - anyway, it's all rather exciting. Added with some ELO and life is awesome.

I filed this enormous, scathing letter of complaint against my landlord. I feel like a King. A King that's about to have his ass dumped on the streets but a King nonetheless.

To the Landlord, by way of Forte Homes.

I am writing in complaint of the state of the property at Baloguns 446 Roman Road, as well as the lack of service rendered by, and general negligence of both the estate agent (Forte Homes) and the landlord. I am also actively looking to vacate said property. The down payment, including fees for the administration, cross referencing of guarantors, damage deposit and the first months rent, was made by me in person in time for the date of occupancy, which in my case was 20th September 2010. Prior to my occupancy, it was agreed that the corridor window would be fixed, and curtain rails would be installed. More than two months later, and neither promise has been fulfilled, despite numerous visits to the agent by both myself and my flatmate Scott. These, however, were problems that pale in comparison to the state of the property as it stands now, to the point where it is literally uninhabitable. When we moved in, the beds in both rooms were heaving with bed bugs, and the place was saturated by a damp smell that was most likely coming from the ceiling, part of which was indented and water stained from leakage. These problems persist regardless of our numerous complaints. I have been unable to sleep in my room without wearing three layers of clothes to protect myself from the bugs. I have often woken up in the middle of the night, itchy and dizzy from the amount of anticoagulant that must have been pumped into my bloodstream. It is unacceptable, and furthermore, despicable that we have told the people responsible for solving this problem and they have failed repeatedly to do anything about it. The bugs are not only in the beds, they are in the carpets, and inhabit the many crevasses around the house. Furthermore, they have spread to my personal property.

It became apparent to us when we moved in, how filthy the state of the house was, with paint chips, and chewing gum stuck to the carpets, as well as other manner of debris. In light of this we requested a vacuum cleaner, even though none of the mess was our own, with the intention of maintaining cleanliness during our tenancy. This request was denied time and time again. Even though the landlord saw fit to extort a working student of more than a few days worth of salary for an honest mistake, he doesn’t deem it worthwhile to ensure the living conditions for the occupants of one of his properties aren’t parallel to living in a serbian ghulag. It seems that this is the only possible explanation, since the only other possibility would mean that our agency has failed to contact the landlord on our behalf, and thus fails on one of the primary factors of its existence.

As if this cavalcade of dire events was not enough, contract work has been occurring in the house for more than ten days at the time of writing. I say “in the house” and not “on the house” because it is only an inconvenience, in no way intended for the area included in our tenancy agreement, but rather, is for the shop adjacent to it. In fact, in a depressing state of affairs, backed by specious argument by the landlord, the area designated to us in our contract is actually being reduced, since the enclave we used as storage for the landlord’s own broken chairs and television, has been appropriated for the shop. Instead, these useless objects have been dumped in the corridor directly outside our rooms. To leave and enter our private space, we have to navigate an obstacle course of sharp objects and broken plastic. We are actually being cheated out of living space, and the reason given is that our contractual agreement includes only our rooms, and not the communal space such as the corridors, kitchen bathrooms or shower, which, of course, is an argument that is not only ridiculous, but insulting to be presented with. It is an argument that augments the landlord’s lack of respect for our personal comfort with his lack of respect for our intelligence. Due to the construction, the house has become a sandstorm, with the flooring, our cutlery, plates, cooking utensils, the shower room, the bathroom, the kitchen and the stairs being coated in a thick layer of dust that is not our responsibility to remove, and renders the place thoroughly uninhabitable, as well as much of our personal property unusable. In addition to this, the construction workers often leave the entrance to the house open after they have left, placing all our personal property in jeopardy of being stolen, they put cigarettes out in the kitchen sink, and leave the shower room coated in a disgusting sludge and boot prints that are irremovable using only water. The house is constantly surrounded by sounds of drilling and hammering from early morning to the evening, leaving the place useless for a student. In addition to this, I have developed a cough and numerous body rashes as a result of the state of the place, and I am worried for my health as a result of living there.

Two months in, we were told that someone had finally come to fix the window. This was not the case; they had merely slid the dislodged frame back into the hole, meaning it is now neither open, nor closed, and still allows the cold into the house. We were also told that we have been allowed a meagre budget of £30 to buy a small handheld vacuum cleaner that would be provided to us so that we can “clean the house up after the construction.” This was a statement that gave a new depth to the phrase “insult to injury.” Firstly, it is not our responsibility to clean the mess of a negligent landlord and his construction workers, and secondly, nothing but a biblical flood could clean the place of the layers of filth that have been accumulating there for what seems like years.

In addition, Forte homes, after much frustration on my behalf, were contacted by my father, who was told that the person who I am sharing the contract with had come to complain about the condition of his bed, which had been replaced, and that I should do the same. This is a falsification, since the bed taken, was from the bedroom downstairs, whose occupant wanted to use her own bedding. To this end, nothing whatsoever has been done by the estate agents.

When asked, the estate agent refused to give us our landlord’s telephone number so we could complain directly, and thus responsibility falls directly to them, as the intermediary. To this end, they have failed us continually and diligently for more than two months, and have shown absolutely no semblance of professionalism in their dealings, past charging us exorbitant amounts for “administration fees.”

I will be filing a lengthier complaint with the Tower Hamlets council as soon as possible, as well as contacting Shelter in search of alternative accommodation. My personal property, for the time being will remain at the residence, until I am able to make arrangements for its removal.

Saad Khalid.

Have you spoken to your student services/accommodation department? Even if its private they should still be able to help get you in touch with the correct avenues. Sounds like you know them but may be worthwhile to check?

And not that you should be doing this but if you want some temporary relief completely freezing the room (ie leaving the windows wide open and letting a draft run through) should help kill of bed bugs. Strip the bed first obviously and stand the mattress up.

Nah, I think I'll do that tomorrow just to figure out if I have any avenues to further bone my Landlord. Kinda knew that taking that property was a huge mistake, but the state of cheap accomodation in London being what it is, that was pretty much the only option left to us. Did you manage to find a place in the end Ash?

Kind of. Living at my friend's nan's house. My friend also lives there most of the time. So its cheap but not ideal (especially as I can't be classed as living there).

I would also mention to the student accomodation to not allow anyone to do with the landlord or agency to post their properties on their website etc.

It is what I did with my past property although even with all it's faults it was still somewhat liveable.

Today is the day is over, two hours at uni and a 9 hour shift are doing nothing for my moods.

Not read the whole letter yet - Me and my housemates made a fairly grumpy letter about a year ago. One of my housemates claimed that there was somesort of law where we could hold back our rent until the landlord had kept his promises -- assuming the landlord had promised to sort the shit out 30 days previously. We had it in writing and the shit was still shit.

But I was just a passenger so I have no idea of the legality of it all.

I guilt tripped my sister into buying CoD Black Ops for the 360 so she can play with my brother and I.

Why this is awesome is because my sister lives in Wisconsin, my brother lives in Florida, and I live in Washington.

AKA we don't get to do too many things together, and so playing some Nazi Zombies with them is heaps of fun and takes away that whole barrier of not getting to see them all that often.

So that's the best thing to happen to me today. Getting to spend time with my siblings.

I got blisters on me fingers!

And I bet the burn marks on your penis are scathing.

Best thing at the moment today is the nap I had. Hate early starts, but I've got my body clock on for tonight when I can use an extensive amount* of beer vouchers to get hammered.

*Eight

Having lunch with Bluey and Jamba and then making a tit of myself on Kinect. Fun times.