Beast

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too.

(They were tears of laughter.)

I'm on Season 4, should I just stop watching at the end of this one? :hmm:

Yes, absolutely. I was thinking just yesterday that the season 4 finale would have been a good way to end the show.

Besides...

It's pretty much the same ending, anyway: Dexter wants to have it all and hesitates to kill someone when he has the chance. Because of this, a woman in Dexter's life ends up getting killed. Dexter realizes that he can never be normal and that he will forever bring pain and suffering to those around him.

And then he becomes a lumberjack.

I swear that spoiler is a great argument for why you should stop at season 4, Shorty. :p

Aww, but he only abandoned Harrison with a serial killer to protect him!

Of course, the only reason Rita and Deb died was because Dexter kept killing people, which the showrunner confirmed that he no longer does when he's a lumberjack, so...

I'd like to think Hannah left Harrison on the side of the road somewhere and ran off with some rich guy.

I kind of enjoyed the last episode but...

How flipping stupid was it at the same time!

I mean, Deb was an amazing character. Why not kill someone unimportant like Masuka or someone else. I also liked and hated how Dex dealt with it. Like it was nice and I may have had a little tear in my eye when they were at the hospital and he pulled the plug but then he dumps her in the ocean WITH THE PAEDOS AND THE KILLERS?!?!?! WTF!

I kind of enjoyed the last episode but...

How flipping stupid was it at the same time!

I mean, Deb was an amazing character. Why not kill someone unimportant like Masuka or someone else. I also liked and hated how Dex dealt with it. Like it was nice and I may have had a little tear in my eye when they were at the hospital and he pulled the plug but then he dumps her in the ocean WITH THE PAEDOS AND THE KILLERS?!?!?! WTF!

I agree about the bit in the hospital. It was perfect. I disagree with the bit about Debra dieing though, i think it needed to happen. Dexter was always going on about how suicide was not the way he would want to go, and i think it would have been great that the thing to tip him over the edge was having to kill his sister.

Basically, if you ignore all the Masuka crap, and the Joey and the babysitter, cut out the Dr. Woman, and leave in the Brain Surgeon and maybe the Hannah thing. The have the brain surgeon shoot Debra and have Dexter have to put her out of her misery. Then have Dexter drive off into the storm. Don't bother with the scene with Hannah and Harrison (we can imagine what would have happened to them afterwards, we didn't need the scene with the ice cream in Argentina). OBVIOUSLY cut the lumberjack bit. I think that would have been a good final season.

I really liked the bit with Debra, Dexter and the flashback, i thought it was really well written (and yes, i did cry at it. Maybe you need to have a sister of similar age gaps like i do). I remember in season 1 i really didn't like Debra, but over the course of the show she came one of my favourite characters, and i think it was just perfect the way they ended it with her and Dex, even if it was really sad.

They should bring out a directors cut of the final season with all my changes. It would be great.

Quinn?

Definitely the ex that most deserved to survive.

Oh yeah....

I agree about the bit in the hospital. It was perfect. I disagree with the bit about Debra dieing though, i think it needed to happen. Dexter was always going on about how suicide was not the way he would want to go, and i think it would have been great that the thing to tip him over the edge was having to kill his sister.

Basically, if you ignore all the Masuka crap, and the Joey and the babysitter, cut out the Dr. Woman, and leave in the Brain Surgeon and maybe the Hannah thing. The have the brain surgeon shoot Debra and have Dexter have to put her out of her misery. Then have Dexter drive off into the storm. Don't bother with the scene with Hannah and Harrison (we can imagine what would have happened to them afterwards, we didn't need the scene with the ice cream in Argentina). OBVIOUSLY cut the lumberjack bit. I think that would have been a good final season.

I really liked the bit with Debra, Dexter and the flashback, i thought it was really well written (and yes, i did cry at it. Maybe you need to have a sister of similar age gaps like i do). I remember in season 1 i really didn't like Debra, but over the course of the show she came one of my favourite characters, and i think it was just perfect the way they ended it with her and Dex, even if it was really sad.

They should bring out a directors cut of the final season with all my changes. It would be great.

Remove the following:

- Masuka becomes a father

- Quinn/that other cop try and become Sargent, particularly as we never saw her once she was promoted

- The brain surgeon

- Quinn & Jamie

- Neighbour girl

- All those other side stories/new characters nobody gave a fuck about

Change the following:

- Dr. Vogel was fine when she was helping out Deb and Dexter, but after that when she just kind of lingered until they threw in the son storyline, she wasn't needed. I think it would have been more interesting for her to try and create several 'Dexters', which Dex would disagree with and eventually have to kill Vogel. Think there would be more power to have him, having been "born" in his mother's blood, to "die" in his spiritual mother's blood. In other words, she'd be his last kill.

- Also, if she's supposed to be BFFs with Matthews, have more than 2 scenes together. Maybe help make it clearer if Matthews knew/cared about what Dex got up to.

- You know that evidence that pointed to something suspicious with Dex and Deb? Would have been nice if Angel had done something with that rather than just pack it away.

- If Hannah is going to be hiding from the cops, do a better bloody job of it.

Basically the season in three sections:

- Deb is losing her shit over La Guerta, Dex gets close to Vogel to find out more about his past. She helps them come back together (i.e. pretty much how it was, but none of this "who is the brain surgeon!?!" stuff).

- Dex comes to realise that Vogel is training new killer(s). He tries to get on board, but they're not the 'right people' (as he saw Zach at some point). When he tries to get her to stop, she doesn't and he kills her and has a dramatic voice over.

- In the process of this someone, most likely Quinn, starts to suspect Dex of something and begins investigating him. Looks into what La Guerta was up to. Dex is a bit too busy planning his new life that the net starts to close in.

I'm not sure how I would end it, but Deb would probably end up dead still but Dexter wouldn't chuck her out to sea. For one thing, she dedicated her life to the force, she should be honoured for that (you get a bench too Deb!) rather than just plonked out to sea.

I like the notion of a self-imposed exile (which is apparently what they were going for) as its the option that most sees Dex suffer for what he's done. He tried to become human over the course of the show, and finally when he is he must be punished for it. It just...didn't work. And we didn't need to see him trying to be Nick Offerman.

I liked it and hated it at the same time

her death was needed but it felt a little pointless, i'd have liked her to have had a more meaningful death

To be honest i liked the whole Deb loves Dexter thing, and would have liked to see that have been the focus of this series, culminating in Dex getting Deb to tap into her darkside and them both being killers and lovers, i found it horrific but interesting

got to be honest i had a tear in my eye when Quin and Dex were told about Deb and i shed that tear when he said goodbye to Deb, they were powerful scenes

Thinking further on the finale and generally the series as they progressed, i think they fitted very well in to Dexters path. Dex started out this serial killer who's only conntection to real life was Deb his sister, the only person he actually had any feelings for, without her even he thought the dark passenger would consume him.

Thorugh out the dexter story she pushed him to experience life to have relationships, and he certainly tried, sure he had a sham of a marriage with Rita who he never truely loved, but he had a family and liked it and wanted to keep it. This Normality pushed back at the dark passenger.

As time went on he slowly developed real feelings for others Harisson, Aster, Cody and then later Hannah who its quite evident was his soul mate, given how he could truely be his self. The Amsuing part of this is the more Dexter embraced family life and loved ones, the less he had an urge to kill. The series followed this closely and i think it was the right decision, because if we'd jsut had 8 years of lone wolf dexter murdering left right and center it would have got old fast.

The finale was somehow fitting to Dexters altered outlook, he'd let go of Harry and with him most of his dark side and embraced emotion, so the final episode was quite fitting in that it gave Dexter all the emotions he deserved, he lost everything he experienced real grief and the affects of death and loss, something he had been inflicting on others for 8 seasons. With all his loved ones gone Dexter was in his own prison, his "life" was ruined he got a personal prison of torment.

I'm not sure him surviving was therefore a bad thing, he's now in the wilderness living a soletary life alone with his grief. Debs death was really symbolic in how he disposed of her, Dexters final kill, it was different in that it was a kill he never wanted so much so he wanted his final act to be joining her, just destiny had other plans and kept him alive to suffer.

More personally it was really painful watching Debs death, i have a little sister like Dexter with a similar age gap, and i've always looked after her much the same way he did. As for Debs character, my girlfriend is almost a carbon copy of her, she's an athletic foul mouthed loud brunette, who will speak her mind no matter the consequences, so Debs has always for me been an exaggerated version of my love, so i couldn't help but imagine it was her dying. Maybe that more personal touch for me has coloured my view of the final epsiode, but i think it was a painful emotional event that was fitting of Dexter, he strived so hard to be normal and in the end he got his wish he got emotions/empathy etc but not in the way he expect, just maybe in the way he deserved.

Still i'd have liked Debs to have survived and maybe Dexter die, for example he switches off her machine and she breathes on her own, horrified by his decision that could have killed her he realises she'd be better off without him and so would everyone else, then he'd left in his boat for the storm, only maybe not with the secret he survived bit, but then again it could work for similar reasons, he survives and lives alone with his grief.

Sure i read that the showrunner confirmed he no longer kills

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Stupid and shit.

One of the best episodes of the season.

Masuka's daughter - the most stupid and pointless sub plot ever. This is the final season....why the hell were we wasting time with this shit.

Vogel was so promising to start off with, loved that Dex was going to get properly investigated by someone as smart as him, but then it....went the way it did.

Boring.

Crap.

Terrible villains.

The finale did have its moments though. The scene with Deb was nice.

Blah. Lumberjackdafuq.

I just don't understand why he dumped her in the ocean with the remains of a lot of sicko's that he'd killed. that's not respectful to her.

Also I can't recall seeing Harry at all in the finale, That's rather surprising. Would of thought he may appear when Dex is pulling the plug on Deb, or when driving his boat into the storm.

It was okay, but also left a bit of a bitter taste as I really did enjoy Dexter.

Oh Well True Blood season 6 started last night, Homeland starts on Sunday & Walking Dead in a few weeks.

I need to get onto Breaking Bad apparently.

I just don't understand why he dumped her in the ocean with the remains of a lot of sicko's that he'd killed. that's not respectful to her.

Also I can't recall seeing Harry at all in the finale, That's rather surprising. Would of thought he may appear when Dex is pulling the plug on Deb, or when driving his boat into the storm.

It was okay, but also left a bit of a bitter taste as I really did enjoy Dexter.

Oh Well True Blood season 6 started last night, Homeland starts on Sunday & Walking Dead in a few weeks.

I need to get onto Breaking Bad apparently.

he said goodbye to Harry in the previous episode when he let go of his dark passenger and let Deb (unfortunately) go to arrest him instead

as for her disposal, you can look at it that she was his final victim, so it was symbolic of that, plus Dexter was atempting suicide so he'd be with her...could really have done with more of a monologue to explain it all in the episode really, but it would have been nice for Harry to have briefly been shown, perhaps sinking into the water with her

• 3 months later...

Dexter is finished.. and I'm upset! Not because it's over, though maybe that factors into my disappointment, but because I feel no satisfaction from how everything turned out :hmm:

There was a significant decline in the show after season 4 finished, but I still felt compelled to continue watching to find out what would happen to Dexter in the end..

..and I feel pretty downhearted by the whole thing :sad:

Someone I know said he's been meaning to watch it. Tempted to tell him to watch seasons 1, 4 and 7 (and maybe 2) and I'll fill in the rest. It's a shame really.

Actual Dexter news (kind of):

After the panel, Nevins said that any possible Dexter spin-off — thus far there have only been “ongoing conversations” — would demand the participation of Michael C. Hall. “It would have to involve Michael… If we were to do it, I’d only do it with Michael,” reprising his serial killer role on camera.

That said, “If we were to do it, we would have to have a very good reason to do it. It’s a new show. I’m not interested in doing it if it’s just a continuation…. I would want to do Dexter in a new concept and configuration. I want it to feel different.”

Edited by Ashley

Spin off show as Harrison....struggling with his temptations, Dexter takes on the role of his imaginary father.....throught the show Harrison believe Dexter died in that boat, so believes its his ghost haunting him.....at some point he could find a bread crumb trail of things leading him to believe he is alive...that way Dexter never need truely return, its a continuation of sorts but more of a spin off

there are ways he could do this

you could replace Harrison with Aster....given book spoilers (iirc)

In fact Aster would make more sense, she could be searching for Harrison/Hannah too

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!