N-Europe

Bioshock: Infinite

Dyson

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a MIB Neuralyzer I can borrow? Would be handy.

It's just that I'd like to play Fallout 3 for the first time again.

Sorry dude, just sold my last one.

Wish i could see the footage, the screen-shots do look sleek. Plus, i would very much like to wipe the Bioshock games to completion.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/01/19/bioshock-infinites-1999-mode-takes-gamers-back-to-their-roots-is-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/

BioShock Infinite's 1999 Mode Takes Gamers Back To Their Roots, Is Not For The Faint of Heart

1999ModeLiz_Final_Web.jpg

In a day and age of dumbed-down gaming experiences focused on the casual consumer, there's no doubting that the "hardcore" or more traditional gamers out there might feel slightly discouraged by the influx of "accessible" titles we've seen over the past several years. Well, hardcore gamers, I've got some good news for you today as 2K Games announced that the already awesome looking BioShock Infinite from Irrational Games will feature a new form of play- the 1999 Mode, which is described as being designed to "challenge players in a variety of ways – each requiring substantial commitment and skill development."

Nice.

Here's an official description of the mode:

1999 Mode is a way of playing designed for gamers who long for the days of games that demanded more of the player. It will include tweaks and features that BioShock fans will not experience in a standard play-through of BioShock Infinite, no matter the difficulty level.

In addition to these permanent decisions, 1999 Mode will feature demanding weapon, power, and health management. The mode also takes a much harder stand on player respawning, sending the gamer directly to a “Game Over” screen if he or she lacks the resources to be brought back to life. It’s not for the faint of heart.

“We want to give our oldest and most committed fans an option to go back to our roots,” said Ken Levine, Creative Director of Irrational Games. “In 1999 Mode, gamers face more of the permanent consequences of their gameplay decisions. In BioShock Infinite, gamers will have to sweat out the results of their actions. In addition, 1999 Mode will demand that players pick specializations, and focus on them.

“I’m an old school gamer. We wanted to make sure we were taking into account the play styles of gamers like me. So we went straight to the horse’s mouth by asking them, on our website, a series of questions about how they play our games. 94.6 percent of respondents indicated that upgrade choices enhanced their BioShock gameplay experience; however, 56.8 percent indicated that being required to make permanent decisions about their character would have made the game even better.”

• 3 months later...

Delayed. :(

BioShock® Infinite Now Planned for February 2013

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now planned to launch worldwide on February 26, 2013.

Ken Levine, Creative Director of Irrational Games, stated, “When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing. Since then, we’ve uncovered opportunities to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need to deliver the best Infinite possible, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February.”

About BioShock Infinite

BioShock Infinite, developed by Irrational Games, won over 75 editorial awards at E3 2011, including the Game Critics Awards’ Best of Show.

In this first-person shooter, the player assumes the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, who is sent to Columbia to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned there since childhood. He develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so they may escape from a city literally falling from the sky. DeWitt learns to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harnesses the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

BioShock Infinite is in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC, and is not yet rated by the ESRB.

For more information on BioShock Infinite please visit http://www.bioshockinfinite.com.

Awesome news :) I'd rather they take their time on it to make it even more memorable hopefully resulting in a stunning game rather than just settling for something amazing which it almost certainly was set to be anyway. :D

If they don't make a Wii U version now, Nintendo have some serious explaining to do.

Really though Nintendo can do all the propositioning they want and demonstrating to Irrational what the Wii U could offer to the experience but if they don't wanna develop it they won't. They already have Move support to work on for PS3 (which they've said they really want to nail and not for it to be tacked on) and the Vita version.

This delay means my list of must have day one retail games is down to two;

Borderlands 2 and Darksiders 2.

Hmmm... I'm a bit half-a-dozen of one and six of the other about this delay. In a nutshell though, I hope it's all for good reasons though, not for disaster reasons (e.g. cannot get game running on current tech).

I didn't play much of the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 but what I did play I didn't like very much. So not holding out that if they're including it here that it'll hold my attention, even with it being a different team.

See if it was a different team the delay makes no sense in some respects as they could just bung it in last minute.

Rumours suggesting Multiplayer may be on the books, I wonder how people feel about that? Bioshock 2's multiplayer (not developed by Irrational) was meant to be pretty good although I've never heard anyone speak of it.

Many said it felt tacked on, kinda like the whole Metroid Prime 2 situation was. The community for the multiplayer died off very quickly, which tends to happen if the game isn't called CoD. :D

See if it was a different team the delay makes no sense in some respects as they could just bung it in last minute.

Oh, by different team I don't mean Irrational Games handing it off to another developer. I simply meant that Infinite is being developed by a different team than 2 was, i.e. it's being developed by Levine's Irrational Games. And that even if it is Irrational doing the multiplayer, I doubt it'll be something that'll sustain my attention. Could be proven wrong though.