NEurope
Paj!

Tattoos

I prefer piercings, at least they're removable and leave little more than a scar. I have a 12g rim, 14g rook and 2g lobes. I change my mind a lot, so a tattoo would be an extremely bad idea. They're also more expensive, if you consider touch-ups. But if I were ever to get a tattoo, I would like one by Nomi Chi (look her up, apparently I'm still too much of a noob to post external links).

I agree :D

How long have you had your rook for?

A year and a half :) Healed very quickly and nicely.

mine healed in two weeks then rejected in 6 months, talk about gutted. The pain I went through for the damn thing was unbelievable. My piercer said he'd never seen cauliflower ear so bad (my ear was puffed out so much there was no indent around the top of my ear, completely round) I even had it changed about a month in to a labret stud to keep it light, to no avail :( Minimal pain after the hellish 2 weeks, then it got really loose and I took it out just before it would have fallen apart. And the structure of that bit of the ear has collapsed a little too. (think that's part of the course though) :(

How are you finding your stretches? I just recently went up to 8mm (0g) in one of my ears and it was so unbelievably easy compared to every previous stretch! I'm tempted to go further but I think I'm at the point of no return now! (given that its stretching a bit too easily now)

That's too bad, sorry to hear about that...cartilage seems to heal better than lobe piercings for me, I had to abandon two because of hypertrophic scarring :/

I stretch with a combination of PTFE tape, oil and steel tapers, because my ears just aren't stretchy enough to shove a taper through and be done with :( I stopped for about a year though because I'm just too lazy. Goal size is 0g for now.

I think I'm settled on a new tattoo, just need to finalize a design. I basically want a camera shutter, but with a few nice details around it. The problem is, I don't want it massive so details have to be quite simple. Some messing around so far (yes I know some are far to detailed for what I want):

Initial idea:

Camera_Shutter_Tattoo_Design_by_scarlet_rain.jpg

Looks too much like the Aperture Science logo. Far too simple for my tastes, but it's not too bad. I could live with it if all else fails.

First mess around with an actual photo:

Shutter.jpg

Far too detailed, obviously.

Second attempt:

Shutter2.jpg

Not a huge fan of the text, specifically the fact that it's a certain model of camera. I'd rather have a generic lens. At least it adds authenticity I guess.

This is just one I found:

body11.jpg

Quite like this one. With a few changes, I reckon it might be the one.

Doublepost yo:

Just had a bit of an edit of the last one and I'm quite liking this:

Design.jpg

Alternatively:

Design2.jpg

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

This is just one I found:

body11.jpg

Quite like this one. With a few changes, I reckon it might be the one.

Yeah that one looks good / would translate well to a tattoo I think.

I'm coming round to the concept of tattoos. Possibly reaching the age where 'rest of your life' doesn't seem quite so out-there. My friend has three though and they're just a bit '...'. Just like logos printed onto his skin with a stamp. I mildly disapprove, unless there's artistic merit or meaning.

Impressed by the tats on here. Didn't think so many people had them. (Y)

Quite liking this now:

4031562872_153e169bb8.jpg

Possibly with a slightly different camera though. More of solid black instead of shading. Like the position though, although it will probably hurt like hell.

Possibly with a slightly different camera though. More of solid black instead of shading.

Shading looks good. Why no shading? SHADING!

I like those simplified designs, Goafer. More like symbols than "a picture of a xyz". Which I think make better tattoos. Or less likely to lokk awful.

I got my first tattoo the weekend before last. It's just something small and simple To start with, it's the Chinese symbol for music on my wrist.

Really liking it, tempted to book something else bigger in but I'm gonna wait for a bit and see how I feel.

Quite liking this now:

Possibly with a slightly different camera though. More of solid black instead of shading. Like the position though, although it will probably hurt like hell.

I like that one, who does your black work by the way?

tetovani__irezumi__Sakura.jpg_595.jpg

Eventually, something like this without the crappy tigers/dragons/snakes/fish... just the waves, petals and scales. And just the sleeves, nothing on chest/back. Starting with my left arm in september.

3285358205_93c95c38e3.jpg

The birds. Somewhere on my back/chest, not really sure.

787833.jpg

On my upper back.

I like that one, who does your black work by the way?

I had my leg done at House of Tribes in Banbury and my arm done at Living Colour (not sure what it was called when I got it done, but that's its name now), also in Banbury.

Neither are award winning or anything, but they're both good IMO. Both were clean and really friendly. The only reason I didn't go back to the first one is because they moved shops and they had a ground floor studio that any passers by could just peer into.

Glad I changed though since the second place (Living Colour) was pretty good. The guy did a good job of lining up my template, which was a nightmare since arms are cone (ish) shaped and the design was a flat strip that goes round. Plus they were friendly and didn't mind when I had to cancel twice (badly bruised arm, which I got a later appointment for, but then cancelled again when I found out the arm was broken). I'll be going back for any future black stuff.

I've heard the one on the Warwick road in Banbury is the best, although I'm not sure how true that is nowadays since the best guy has set up his own shop in Brackley.

Any particular reason you ask? Shall I warn people of a prowling wolf (probably at night)?

Had a go at designing my own today:

Mine.jpg

Based on an Ilford Sportsman 300. Did mess around with putting in the text and the shutter release (the square thing to the left of the lens), but it looked shit.

Hate to say but it looks like clip-art at the moment. Perhaps shading is needed, but I think you need to look at the angles of the source camera again - the metallic bit at the top is a lot more truncated and the winder is more prominant... I much preferred the other examples you posted earlier. Your version loses a lot of the texture, and I think it misses it.

Keep at it though! I'm sure you'll hit the motherload soon enough.

I may have finally found something I want as a tattoo. I need to mull over it for a while though before I decide.

*watch this space*

Seen some really great bands around the upper arm made from Escher artwork recently. The birds into fish progression looks excellent.

metamorphose.jpg

Goafer - not particularly, my heart is set on getting work done by the guys at nine in Brighton, but it's always nice to have a mental note of who is good and who isn't in this country.

I really want to go to germany for these guys:

http://www.buenavistatattooclub.de/

Can't recall if I've mentioned them before.

I may have finally found something I want as a tattoo. I need to mull over it for a while though before I decide.

*watch this space*

Come on, let's see it then!

Quite liking this now:

Are you going to change your name to Snap as well?

Todd_Snap.png

Hate to say but it looks like clip-art at the moment. Perhaps shading is needed, but I think you need to look at the angles of the source camera again - the metallic bit at the top is a lot more truncated and the winder is more prominant... I much preferred the other examples you posted earlier. Your version loses a lot of the texture, and I think it misses it.

Keep at it though! I'm sure you'll hit the motherload soon enough.

Yeah I might look at some sort of texture. Not sure yet. I shall continue experimenting!

The angles of the top bit aren't really important, I only used the Sportsman as a guide really. It doesn't bother me if it doesn't match.

Come on, let's see it then!

It's not an image, it's a phrase.

I don't want to reveal it/put it down until I've analysed and thought more. And plus I've never had a eureka moment when thinking about a possible tattoo until know so yeah. Give me time.

Tattoos are lame, mostly because nobody other than you who sees them gives a fuck. And if its something so unsticky in your memory that you need a constant visual reminder, then chances are its not worth it in the first place. I guess they can be cool as a talking point, but then they'd need to be something colossally out of the ordinary like getting a cock tattooed on your forehead.

Also, I just don't think that human skin works as a good canvas for art. It always ends up looking weird, compositionally misplaced, and just plain gross. Always.

Tattoos are lame, mostly because nobody other than you who sees them gives a fuck. And if its something so unsticky in your memory that you need a constant visual reminder, then chances are its not worth it in the first place. I guess they can be cool as a talking point, but then they'd need to be something colossally out of the ordinary like getting a cock tattooed on your forehead.

Also, I just don't think that human skin works as a good canvas for art. It always ends up looking weird, compositionally misplaced, and just plain gross. Always.

You really have a lot of hatred for random things and I'm supposed to be the miserable one. :laughing:

It's not an image, it's a phrase.

Whoa, thank God I didn't ask for a picture. Then I would've looked silly.

Seriously though - How's the contemplation going?