N-Europe

Recommend me some TV, thinking X Files?

Caris

So last year we had Scrubs and Prison Break end which sucked, this year we have Lost (nooooooo!) and 24 (still a noooo!, but a slightly less one).

I'm needing new material to view, I normally watch a couple of hours of TV before I go to bed but all it has been for months is BB and Top Gear. I'm aware The Office, Dexter and a few others start in a couple of month but I need something now. I know True Blood is on atm but I'm not that bothered about it.

I was thinking X Files? My brother used to watch them when I was younger and it's all he ever talked about. Now that I'm a bit older I'm really starting to fancy it.

So, tell me about X Files or any other TV series you can recommend.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The X-Files is a great choice. Plus, there are so many episodes that it will last you for evaaaaar.

I love it. :)

If you can find it, also get Dark Skies. I want to re-watch that. But, it's only a series long. That might be hard to follow. You might have to be naughty to watch that one. Nudge nudge wink wink.

Oh god yes X-files!

One of my favourite series ever haha. Own the boxset and Jim and I take our sweeeeet time going through it. I love it, especially the first few seasons. If you like paranormal and extra-terrestrial stuff, you would like this I think.

There's a bigger storyline that goes through the series, but there's also individual episodes that each deal with a different case.

Some episodes are serious, but then sometimes there's episodes that are more light-hearted and will make you laugh. =D

The X-Files! Yes! Heck freaking yes! My all-time favourite TV series! :yay:

Some episodes are action-packed, some are mysterious, some are scary, some are funny, some are deep, some are touching ... I'm tempted to say the series has everything! If you like supernatural mysteries, you'll love The X-Files.

(It's no coincidence that Flink, Ine and I are the first to comment in this thread! :p)

Is there anything more specific you're after? Otherwise this post will quickly degenerate in to a list of titles largely previously mentioned.

Degenerating: The X-Files, BSG, Dexter, House, The Wire, Waking The Dead, Luther, Wire In The Blood, Chuck, The Mentalist and probably loads of others I'm blanking on right now.

Edited by Aimless
Typo

Summary of House:

Man in mid-life crisis jeers at a bunch of wannabe doctor jocks whilst limping and making cynical comments about his shit job, the obscure arsehole patient, and his inconsequential, frivolous and damn right boring love life.

Please, please, please stop watching the X-Files at the end of season seven. If you absolutely demand having more, season eight is passable with an excellent finale. Do not under any circumstances watch to the end of season 9 if you are heavilly invested in the mythology of the show. The mystery and surprise is replaced by basically spoon feeding you the answers in the last ridiculously boring episode appropriately titled The Truth.

Anything after David Duchovny left the show rarely hits and often misses. The budget goes up but the core dynamic of the show is totally rocked and damaged. Damn you, Chris Carter! The will they/won't they element was what kept us hooked!

I Want to Believe is also wank. So very wank... unless you love terribly tame, boring movies with fantastic music, in which case you'll probably adore it.

X-Files is one of my favourite shows. I love it dearly, but there's no denying it starts to get ridiculous toward the end of the alien conspiracy storyline... that is never actually resolved, I'll add. They also do something completely unforgivable toward the end of season nine to a certain trio of amazing nerdy characters.

It peaked in terms of character episodes probably around season six. Comedy episodes around season five with occasional flashes of brilliance and experimentation upto season seven. Mythology dies as soon as the word Super Soldier is used.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show and grew up loving it. Fox Mulder is one of my favourite television characters ever. I am totally gay for his dry wit. The resolution to the storyline with his sister Samantha is one of the only things in television and film to make me cry.

Just be prepared to fall in love with this series and part company with it with a load of great memories and experiences, but ultimately wondering if you really should have bothered.

Edited by Guy

Definatly not watching House, medical programs scare me. I'll come away convinced I have cancer.

Most of the other mentions I've seen or I'm not interested in. For the record I own all 3 seasons of Arressted Delelpment and it's incredible.

I'll report back after watching a few episodes if the X-Files and say what I think.

On another note what are the big comedy and dramas starting this year? Any replacements for Lost or 24?