N-Europe

Careers

Goafer

I feel like I've been in my career for a long time now, even though I'm only just starting my first official job. I'm happy with the way things are, although it would have been lovely to have found a job back at home or even in Brighton. That would've been great, but new challenge - new location, so that might work out good for me.

I'd like to climb the ladder and become a Head of Department, and maybe one day I'll have a pop at being a Head Teacher or something. That would be great. Although I can imagine it being very stressful.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a letter today saying I'll be paid over £18k a year tax-free while doing my PhD in London. Awesome. In other news, I've gone down to Hertfordshire with my girlfriend and we've put a deposit down on a really nice appartment, and will be moving in early September. Should really get some pictures up, it's incredibly nice and actually looks quite expensive. It's a fairly brand new block of appartments and costs around £900 a month to rent.

Roll on September. :)

I don't seem him doing anything else with his life thus its his livelihood :p

If you told me Solitanze was on the N-E payroll, I would believe you.

I mean, you'd have to be pretty boring person to spend most of your time, writing sensationalist comments for Nintendo news articles.

What's really worrying though, is he's being doing this for years!

I think he was hired by N-E, to post flamebait material. When visitors read the comments, if they want to reply to him and basically vent their anger, they have to register or if they are already registered it just means more hits for N-E.

The extent of my current career plan extends as far as "start uni, finish uni, decide somewhere in between what actual career I want".

I'm studying Physics, which leaves me pretty open to going into Engineering, Finance, IT, etc. At this point though, unless I decide against it on the way, I'm thinking I'll probably end up a researcher of some sort.

Professional linguist is the current plan, which means trying to find out how language works. I'm always amazed more people don't try to do this.

If that fails, I might look into converting to law.

You could always drive a 'talk properly' campaign and take it to government. Many people in this country haven't a fucking clue how to pronounce.

I'll make your business cards for you if you let me put Cunning Linguist on them.

Sadly I don't think I'll be needing business cards... :heh:

You could always drive a 'talk properly' campaign and take it to government. Many people in this country haven't a fucking clue how to pronounce.

Fail at being a linguist - that's like a biologist saying "many animals in this country haven't got a fucking clue how to stand up straight."

Sadly I don't think I'll be needing business cards... :heh:

Everyone needs business cards!

But yes, please don't start a "speak properly you fucking morons" campaign :heh: And I say that as someone who loathes the local dialect.

Okay...

When do you feel is a good age for you personally (as everyone is different) to start your career? Part of me wants to sod life and go teach in Japan for a year but I know when I finish that I'll feel bad about not being on a 'path' to my career. So yeah...whatever.

If that fails, I might look into converting to law.

I was considering doing something like this [Y'know, if the interview at Tesco falls through] My girlfriend told me something about this course which remixes what you did at uni with law.

Was my second choice of subject when going to university, but went for the much more promising media studies instead.

Okay...

When do you feel is a good age for you personally (as everyone is different) to start your career? Part of me wants to sod life and go teach in Japan for a year but I know when I finish that I'll feel bad about not being on a 'path' to my career. So yeah...whatever.

I think as long as you're doing cool stuff (Japan definitely counts) then anytime before 30 is fine to start your career proper. Don't underestimate the value of doing something adventurous before settling down to work.

I'm going to sit down with my potential new boss today to discuss options regarding the move out to San Francisco. The place has definitely won me over, I love it here. Hopefully the job package will live up to it too.

Yeah there is that but I've always been too sensible for my own good :heh:

I am looking forward to this new course in London though so that'll be fine for now. I think I'm just eager to get away from The Black Country :p

That is if I find a place to live... :p but yeah sure thing, we can moan about TBC. I could rattle on for hours about that horrid "dai/day" 'word' :heh:

I think, and this is something I didn't quite express clealry before, that while I'd love to travel the world and all that I'd love for my career to take me there. I have a friend who works nine months of the year and travels for three and that's great for her but personally I'd rather do it my way.

Urr you Irish are also drunks. The Black Country..., its not a racist term :p

"Dai" is used locally in the place of any preposition word positive or negative (although "dain't" is also sometimes used).

"Dai his drink dai it?"

"What you gonna do dai you no job?"

"I dai know where he's gun" (meaning 'gone', but pronounced 'gun')

"Dai you did it?"

Edited by Ashley

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!