N-Europe

Experimental thread lock

Mr_Odwin

I don't even see what's wrong with cliques anyway?

I've purposely stopped myself from posting my opinions in threads such as "Rate the last film..." after seeing criticisms against people such as Slaggis for not watching the 'correct' type of film in the past.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that the current 'one thread per artist/album' for music doesn't really compute for me as I still just see who made the thread and remember that I don't share a taste with them, so I don't investigate any further.

There should be less 'information' threads with music and more 'inquisitive'. I suppose I should start a thread asking for music similar to band x... but currently I'm not bothered :P

There's been some great new threads, which nobody can deny! Cheers for your contsructive comments, guys.

This must have come up, why no Post Your Purchase Thread and User Image Gallery?

....because there wasn't anything wrong with those. I don't think they were vampiric in any sense (Well, maybe the UIG - but for other reasons).

Agreed, Sub-Forums are a great idea. It will bring a bit more organisation to the forums and you will know where to go to find what you wish to chat about. Thus free-ing the GCC for, well stuff that goes into the GCC.

Make it happen.

Sub-Forums are a bad idea. For reasons stated above.

You don't have to click onto my thread about M.I.A, but I'd rather it were there for everyone to see, so people could give stuff a listen. I'd rather people listened to it and hated it than just ignored it. (Same applies for any thread anyone makes.)

Fair enough game threads should be by themselves, but that's a "type" of thread that would clog up the main page.

I would agree that the current 'one thread per artist/album' for music doesn't really compute for me as I still just see who made the thread and remember that I don't share a taste with them, so I don't investigate any further.

but almost every other forum does it this way. Smaller forums are better off with the megathreads because new threads consist of 1 or 2 posts and conversation dies quickly. It's how forums like neogaf do things, but their forum is a little TOO big and threads disappear too fast. I believe it's perfect here.

This idea will work but mods have to be more leniant with thread-creating but besides that I'm not understanding the complaints bar the fact it's change.

and subforums is a BIG no no!

You don't have to click onto my thread about M.I.A, but I'd rather it were there for everyone to see, so people could give stuff a listen. I'd rather people listened to it and hated it than just ignored it. (Same applies for any thread anyone makes.)

But it would be there for people to see, if anything it being in a sub-board will make it even more visible as the non-music stuff won't be blocking it all out.

Plus with a sub-board at least I can go "Hmm, I feel like talking about music tonight" *clicks on music sub-board*, "Ah, music threads...oooh what's this that Paj has posted" (which is prominently displayed on the first page most likely because Pookiablo's lame "Candies!" thread isn't dwarfing it).

It goes either way. I don't see how it's a barrier to discussion. Sure there's a "physical" barrier to getting into the thread by having to click on the sub-board but I don't see how it can possibly stifle discussion from taking place. I'd probably have to click on the page 2/3 thing at the bottom of General Chit-Chat in the current circumstances to get there anyway.

RE: UIG/PYP, they were closed along with everything else because we wanted to really be able to empirically say whether a giant thread is actually worthy of being around or not. Just closing a few and not other would've led to cries of "aw you closed this thread I love! But you left thatone open. NO FAIR!" which wasn't the point.

but almost every other forum does it this way. Smaller forums are better off with the megathreads because new threads consist of 1 or 2 posts and conversation dies quickly. It's how forums like neogaf do things, but their forum is a little TOO big and threads disappear too fast. I believe it's perfect here.

This idea will work but mods have to be more leniant with thread-creating but besides that I'm not understanding the complaints bar the fact it's change.

and subforums is a BIG no no!

I don't really know what you mean by 'more lenient' because currently we're the most relaxed we've been in ages concerning new threads. So long as they're not directly replicating mass threads then we're letting it slide, pretty much regardless of content/potential/quality.

Sub-Forums are a bad idea. For reasons stated above.

Fair enough game threads should be by themselves, but that's a "type" of thread that would clog up the main pag

Paj; a massive music thread would go against exactly what you're saying, and a sub-board would not alter it at all. As it currently stands, GCG would simply be less cluttered (a point you, amongst others, have made, I think?) if such threads were 'subbed'.

I also think not having the 'numbers' is fairly irrelevant to the argument, because wherever any of these topics live, the viewership will not increase or decrease. A sub-board could essentially reduce clutter and provide a focus.

I don't really understand how such a shift would create additional barriers, besides the meta-coop the threads would be contained in...

I really don't think sub forums are a good idea. We don't have the numbers and the whole point of this move was to break down barriers to discussion not put more in place.

I agree, look at playground, there's only a few people who actually regularly check it. Its like a dead zone now the mafia craze has worn off somewhat

I agree, look at playground, there's only a few people who actually regularly check it. Its like a dead zone now the mafia craze has worn off somewhat

Id say the playground isnt really comparable though. If people arent really interested in taking part in forum games then they just wont go in there. Plus its not viewable from the main forum page so less people would go in there.

I myself dont really know if I think different sections are a good or bad idea. It could be worth trying for a while. My main argument for it would be to clear up general chat a bit so it doesnt look so cluttered.

RE: UIG/PYP, they were closed along with everything else because we wanted to really be able to empirically say whether a giant thread is actually worthy of being around or not. Just closing a few and not other would've led to cries of "aw you closed this thread I love! But you left thatone open. NO FAIR!" which wasn't the point.

I don't really know what you mean by 'more lenient' because currently we're the most relaxed we've been in ages concerning new threads. So long as they're not directly replicating mass threads then we're letting it slide, pretty much regardless of content/potential/quality.

But then that argument was ruined the second Mr Dare reopened the comic book thread...

I think there's room for the UIG, personally. Like the others have said it doesn't get in the way of threads so much but Odders closed everything en masse. We're discussing reopening a couple of threads right now up in our Ivory Tower so it'll likely come back.

IRREGARDLESS!

Having a million threads saying "So, anyone else read Uncanny X-Men 526? I loved the bit when Hope activated the new mutants powers in mid-air!" with maybe 1 or 2 replies from the same people everytime is ridiculous.

That's what would happen without the comic book discussion thread, so it's either keeping it open, or just not letting us talk about what we want to talk about, in effect. Cause if we did have loads of threads about every comic we (all 5 of us) talked about, the cries of "cluttering page 1" would be louder than ever.

Just do what Ashley (I think) suggested RE: User Image Gallery - create themed threads, or something like that. Childhood pictures, graduation photos, photos of you being attacked by dogs, whatever.

While I don't think the UIG needs to be closed, we may as well play along for now, as part of the experiment. It won't definitely be forever.

If the worry is that music/movies&tv boards won't be busy enough, why not just have a board for all entertainment type stuff (minus games obviously)? In-fact, why even make it a sub-forum? a full board would probably get more attention.

The comicbook thread is different though. None of the other threads deal with weekly releases of id say over 20 comics which we will then want to talk about. I mean do you really want the forum flooded with all those new threads each week?

IRREGARDLESS!

Having a million threads saying "So, anyone else read Uncanny X-Men 526? I loved the bit when Hope activated the new mutants powers in mid-air!" with maybe 1 or 2 replies from the same people everytime is ridiculous.

That's what would happen without the comic book discussion thread, so it's either keeping it open, or just not letting us talk about what we want to talk about, in effect. Cause if we did have loads of threads about every comic we (all 5 of us) talked about, the cries of "cluttering page 1" would be louder than ever.

Just do what Ashley (I think) suggested RE: User Image Gallery - create themed threads, or something like that. Childhood pictures, graduation photos, photos of you being attacked by dogs, whatever.

While I don't think the UIG needs to be closed, we may as well play along for now, as part of the experiment. It won't definitely be forever.

This. Also it was closed the week of Comic Con International....and I know theres a thread, but no one in that thread cares about Spider-Man "Big Time" for example. Quit yer whining.

It looks great to look on the first two or so pages of this board and see many threads with latest posts. It's more interesting, the range of content looks a lot more diverse, and it generally just creates the impression that people are busier posting...posts.

The only two threads I would want back are the two that have been mentioned on this page: Post Your Purchases and User Image Gallery. I feel that they have a place here amongst the new look of the boards.

If the worry is that music/movies&tv boards won't be busy enough, why not just have a board for all entertainment type stuff (minus games obviously)? In-fact, why even make it a sub-forum? a full board would probably get more attention.

I suggested this yesterday in staff chat. If it happens I get credit! :p

UIG is okay, but themes are more fun. And so...