NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

Waluigi and king boo are the two main ones I'm not happy they missed out!

Done all of the cups on single player in GP but at least one star ranking. Need to redo several on mirror mode to get at least 2 star on them all!

Got this for Christmas and sailed through the 50cc with 3 stars on each level and was really enjoying it until.....

I had a strange thing happen on the 100cc which I don't know if it was a bug or some serious bad luck on my part. On the Special Cup, Bowsers Castle, EVERY time I was coming round the final bend on the last lap, just before the jump to the finish line, I would get bombarded! Always a blue shell, and sometimes other items as well, which meant that I could never finish first. After about 5 unsuccessful attempts, I then moved on to the Shell Cup. First race, Luigi's Raceway, I was well in the lead, coming round the final bend to the finish line, when, yet again, I got hit by a blue shell, then a red shell, which then meant I didn't finish first.

Let's just say that a few choice words were directed towards my 3DS and I was seriously thinking of trading the game in!!!

I'd had my 3DS turned on for a few days and hadn't exited MK7 during this time, so I decided to exit and turn my 3DS off. The next day, I turned it on again and had another try at the Special Cup. This time I completed it with 3 stars and (touch wood) since then, I haven't had the blatant cheating/bad luck that I experienced before.

So has anyone else experienced this? Was I just unlucky, or, as I suspect is more the case, did the AI of my MK7 get 'stuck' on destroying me with a blue shell just before the finish?

Am now enjoying the game again!

actually that did happen to me early on in 100cc, but I eventually got passed it after like 5 tries, but it got worse when I went to 150cc, and finally got 3 stars after repeating the Mushroom cup GP over 10x

Damn, I think I've uncovered a MAJOR flaw in this game which makes it quite a lot harder to overtake especially the first racer on certain tracks.

You see, I was racing online, and on certain tracks there really aren't a lot of coins spread across the track equally, but in fact alined in a row behind eachother.

So when I was in hot pursuit of the 1st racer on several occasions, he would just take all those coins right in front of my eyes, which left me with zero and him with increasingly more.

Before I knew it, the number 1 had created such a huge amount of distance between me and himself, that he really needed a few spiny shells in order for me to gain on him.

He did this, just because he was a little faster at the beginning, giving him the advantage of taking all the coins for himself....

This, I'd say, is unfair:(

It weird because I have been in races like that but then it others you could have loads of blue shells or be given other better items firing about which if that have happened they wouldn't have been able to stay in the lead (providing the blue shell didn't hit you as well! It seems it's either all or nothing!!

Had quite a few races tonight with @Aneres11 online which was awesome, @RedShell even joined us for awhile! Apart from a few races (where I did crap) it was us three at the top of the leaderboards at the end of each race, NE rule! :p

RedShell I noticed I don't have you on my 3DS! I have added ur code if you want to do the same for mine. :)

Yeah, it only happens on specific tracks where the coins aren't evenly spread, but usually I don't really experience much blue shell activity, so the one in 1st place can really get away from 'the pack' so to speak.

What I'm trying to say is that in Mario Kart Wii you were equals battling it out for 1st place (amongst the head of the race), but in Mario Kart 7 the number 1 has a considerable advantage because he gets to all the coins first.

Yeah, it only happens on specific tracks where the coins aren't evenly spread, but usually I don't really experience much blue shell activity, so the one in 1st place can really get away from 'the pack' so to speak.

What I'm trying to say is that in Mario Kart Wii you were equals battling it out for 1st place (amongst the head of the race), but in Mario Kart 7 the number 1 has a considerable advantage because he gets to all the coins first.

Yeah I agree with you too. There have been a few races I have had online where I have gotten into a lead and virtually spent all three laps in first having no items bother me at all. I had a race this evening where I was hit by 2 blue shells but still no one caught me. Not sure whether it was a case of me being able to have a clear run through the course whilst the rest of the pack peppered each other with items or whether it was just an advantage being clear in front as you say.

Damn, I think I've uncovered a MAJOR flaw in this game which makes it quite a lot harder to overtake especially the first racer on certain tracks.

You see, I was racing online, and on certain tracks there really aren't a lot of coins spread across the track equally, but in fact alined in a row behind eachother.

So when I was in hot pursuit of the 1st racer on several occasions, he would just take all those coins right in front of my eyes, which left me with zero and him with increasingly more.

Before I knew it, the number 1 had created such a huge amount of distance between me and himself, that he really needed a few spiny shells in order for me to gain on him.

He did this, just because he was a little faster at the beginning, giving him the advantage of taking all the coins for himself....

It's no different to picking up an item before someone else. First come, first served. :grin:

As for the coins being arranged on racing lines, well they do regenerate after a while and it's not like there are no other ways to get coins. If the racer in front of you is grabbing the lot, hit 'em with a shell and steal some coins back! :laughing: Or just take a different route for a while, to pick up the coins that they're not getting.

Having said that, it is weird how Nintendo didn't include the coin ? item from SMK. ::shrug: But hey, it could be worse, they could have included the penalty for having no coins from SMK too! ;)

RedShell I noticed I don't have you on my 3DS! I have added ur code if you want to do the same for mine. :)
Cheers, will add you next time I go on.

: peace:

Finally managed to 3 star every cup on all class settings a little earlier. I'd be happy with that but all it has done is show how bad Nintendo are at coding AI as getting 3 stars on the last two cups of new tracks on Mirror Mode was just ridiculous. Blue shells and lightning bolts pouring down on me in the lead, usually over a jump or at the last corner on the last lap. The number of times I'd have a comfortable lead on the last race only to be hit with something and finish 4th or 5th borders on insanity. Yes, I still won the cup but that's not the point.

It's over anyway, and I'm officially done with the game. Still had kart pieces to unlock but I'm not trawling through the single player grand prixes again as they're not any fun (compared to how they were on the DS version which I still feel is by far the best) and online, I'm fed up with WuHu Mountain Loop getting chosen and everyone cheating their way round that. Or worse, those players who seem to finish a race half a lap or more ahead of everyone else and are immune to blue shell and everything else (example, driving alongside someone on Rosalina's Ice World, I get the Tanooki tail so precede to hit him 3 times and it did nothing and he just pushed me off the track).

I can only hope that Nintendo can sort themselves out and learn to code competent AI for the next Mario Kart on the WiiU and sort out the rubberbanding because if not, I won't be coming back to the series as it's ridiculous that it's still this bad in this day and age. Yes, this has been rushed to market but I doubt added development time would have improved it much.

I've always cherished the hope of some kind of Mario Kart Universe game in which all the tracks that were ever made are present + 16 new ones + every character that has ever raced + 20 new ones AND NINTENDO reinvents the series...

and maybe some sort of new artstyle :)

But I must say that I'd ike more out of Mario Kart than just new tracks and characters every iteration.

Surely there must be more creative ways/modes to implement.

The gliders and the underwater parts are a start.

But it's so tricky to complete rehash it when the formula is absolutely nailed!!

I'd prefer more subtle changes to the core gameplay, but more stuff AROUND it - more customisation, track editors, DLC, more elaborate online set up - proper leagues and tournaments etc. This is what mario kart should do on a system, show of it's online potential!

But yeah, they could go to town with the visual style!

I'd prefer more subtle changes to the core gameplay, but more stuff AROUND it

There is loads of stuff they could - and should - put around it. After playing MK7 for 60 hours, I'm getting pretty bored of Nintendo adding a few little things to the series - not getting it right - and then removing in the next iteration.

The core mechanics are there and I doubt anyone really suggests that needs changing, but single player is well overdue a major overhaul, whether it be add DKR-style stories or better gameplay achievements or something else entirely - I genuinely need a better reason to continue playing MK7 in single player than to open a lazily produced Mirror Mode. Where are the DS Mission Modes? Where is the Tour from Double Dash? Single player needs to be meatier, with (better) AI to boot.

As much as I'm enjoying online, there are problems with that too - communities have proved worthless (likely due to the set-up restrictions?), and glitches that, in the hands of another major studio, would have now been fixed.

To top it all off, for a console that has some pretty neat social features, its really disappointing that MK7's social stuff is so half-baked; after launch @lostmario and I discussed the lack of time trial leaderboards in 7 and the inability to download friends' ghosts via SpotPass is a major mistep. Why can't I set challenges for distribution by Street/SpotPass?

It pains me to say it, since MK7 is probably the most fun you can have with a 3DS, but the series is stale and this, absolutely, needs to be reflected in reviews scores - until the series has some major additions, I completely understand some of the harsher reviews.

Still in shock that you just can't play a single race. Appalling omission. Also: No missions? They were perfect for the handheld! I loved the way the missions worked on the DS version. Gah!

Nintendo seem to do this a lot. It's like they LITERALLY wipe the slate clean with every iteration. It's a blessing and a curse at times.

Yes it's a drip-fed smattering of joy encapsulated in something smaller than an After Eight mint but the omissions grate when you come from previous iterations of the series.

Still....just..one...more...race. Aiiiiii, Blue Shell!

I haven't touch this game yet. But...Nintendo could do whatever they like with Mario Kart. They could take MK7, make it possible to play with 2 extra people online and take away a few features, and you'd still buy it anyway. :heh:

Bought this earlier with a 3DS, and have played it. Loving it so far.

I've not seen this anywhere else, so here goes:

Wuhu Mountain Glitch Will Not Be Fixed

I have never wanted Eurogamer to be so wrong; they're reporting that Nintendo are not planning to patch the glitch in Wuhu Mountain. A ridiculous decision beaten only by their ridiculous reasoning:

...fixing the bug would give an "unfair advantage" to those with unpatched copies of the game, Nintendo decided.

They seemingly have all the bits in place to patch games, but refuse to do so. Its so damned lazy or stupid - I'm not sure which.

I've not seen this anywhere else, so here goes:

Wuhu Mountain Glitch Will Not Be Fixed

I have never wanted Eurogamer to be so wrong; they're reporting that Nintendo are not planning to patch the glitch in Wuhu Mountain. A ridiculous decision beaten only by their ridiculous reasoning:

...fixing the bug would give an "unfair advantage" to those with unpatched copies of the game, Nintendo decided.

They seemingly have all the bits in place to patch games, but refuse to do so. Its so damned lazy or stupid - I'm not sure which.

Weird. :blank:

Surely they could just lock people with an unpatched game out of online play (or even just that specific track) until they perform the update. ::shrug: I mean they already do just that with both 3DS and Wii games, forcing system updates before allowing the game to run. So I don't see why they couldn't apply that same technique here. :hmm:

Weird. :blank:

Surely they could just lock people with an unpatched game out of online play (or even just that specific track) until they perform the update. ::shrug: I mean they already do just that with both 3DS and Wii games, forcing system updates before allowing the game to run. So I don't see why they couldn't apply that same technique here. :hmm:

Treyach have been able to do that with now just CoD:MW3 but also the previous CoD game on the Wii. If a 3rd party can do it on a Nintendo system why can't Nintendo....

Maybe they neglected to make MK7 patchable :heh:

Mario Kart 7, it's not a game I'm enjoying all that much at all anymore, haven't touched it for weeks. I can't connect online which is where the game longevity comes from, it just feels stale as well and needs something more drastic being done next time round. The AI somehow feels much more cruel than the Wii version and there are fewer racers so it's just weird.

I'm not exactly sure where all the "best Mario Kart ever"s came from. It feels way too similar to DS and Wii, but with less characters, less interesting levels, less modes (the Mission mode anyone? Was I the only one that liked that?)... it's fine, but not an improvement.

The basic gameplay is a significant improvement, especially with the gliding and underwater. The singular "stunt" on jumps works well, the powersliding and handling are spot-on.

As for levels, I personally think that MK7 had the best set of original levels (whereas MKWii has the 16 worst tracks).

I think there are some terrific new levels (I think this is the best Rainbow Road ever made, which is a little controversial... ) but... I dunno. It doesn't scream "best Mario Kart ever" to me. I'm not sure what it's missing. Wii, Ds and 7 all kind of just feel like the same game, with tiny expansions. I hope the Wii U version really rewrites the rule book a bit, not with gimmicks, but just some new, fresh ideas.

Thing is, I remember posting very similar opinions in threads about the Zelda series and Pokémon series. Maybe I expect too much from Nintendo and should just let their games more or less follow the same format. They still sell.

Tricky one. I think it probably is the best Mario Kart, in the sense it's the most refined; but it does feel extremely similar so doesn't have much wow factor. Personally I don't care, I love the game, love the gliding and think it has the best original track selection in any of the games, but completely understand people being disappointed. The next one needs to overhaul the single player; and the online actually, it needs to smash bros-ify itself itself with more creative content - logos, kart designs, track designs etc etc.

As with everything that Nintendo is doing at the moment, its just half-hearted and forced "ooooh, lets get a new Mario Kart out". MK7 is great for what it is, but its still just Mario Kart. It lacks that special Nintendo sparkle; Skyward Sword is guilty of it, Mario 3D Land too. As great as they all are, they're just not quite right, not quite Nintendo.

As positive as I usually am about all things Nintendo, in my eyes 2011 - and so far 2012 - has really redefined what Nintendo is: lazy and incompetent.

I think they're very, very, very good games, there's no denying, but I agree that they've almost lost some of their "risk". I was playing Metroid Prime earlier, it's incredible to think it's the sequel to Super Metroid / Metroid Fusion.

Obviously the jump to HD is not going to be the same as the jump to 3D, but I just want to see more risk. Mario Galaxy was a risk, and it really paid off.

The Mario Kart series is becoming too much like an EA Sports franchise.