NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

I'd love to see Captain Syrup... she's such an awesome badass Nintendo girl that's been far too neglected.

Fantastic suggestion. She needs more love!

CaptainSyrup.jpg

So what do people think of the tracks? I love most of the new ones, koopa city seems to be the worst for now. The most bland.

Out of the retro ones, again, a good selectin. Really don't like coconut mall, mushroom gorge or dk pass though!

What aren't thoughts?

Quick thoughts on all the tracks

Toad Circuit - Fairly basic, like how the ramps open up on the second lap.

Daisy Hills - Really good jump and great bends with good opportunities for overtaking. I also like to shout GOAT IN! when I see someone bump into one.

Cheep Cheep Cape - Love the diving, and the bit with the small path to the jump in the cavern.

Shy Guy Bazaar - It just seems a bit messy for me, not a big fan.

Wuhu Island Loop - I love it, for some reason the Wii Sports music is already nostalgic. A great route, it's just a shame you only do one "lap".

Mario Circuit - I thought that, for the first time in Mario Kart, it really captured the Mario feel - with the floating blocks and all.

Melody Motorway - The music makes it. That and the bouncing notes and sliding across the piano bits.

Alpine Pass - Lots of great airborne levels. However, the hill at the end is a bit too steep - due to the camera you can't see the rocks falling on you.

Piranha Plant Pipeway - I love it. While it does remind me a bit of a level from Sega All-Stars Racing, it's still pretty unique. This has an even greater classic Mario feel than Mario Circuit.

Wario's Galleon - It's great constantly going in and out of water, and it's a bit stadium-like with lots of jumps. Yet something just feels off...it's not really a Wario track.

Koopa City - Looks rather dull, could be a track from any racer.

Wuhu Mountain Loop - I wasn't expecting a second Wuhu map, but this one is also great - some good cavern bits and the huge jump at the end.

DK Jungle - Music is great, track is enjoyable but not all that. One of the "average" ones.

Rosalina's Ice World - While the turns at the start are fun, the rest is rather dull.

Bowser's Castle - Probably my favourite Bowser's Castle. Love how the "finish line" is a hoop.

Rainbow Road - The best Rainbow Road yet. Nice and long with lots of very different sections. Like Wuhu, it's a shame it's only one lap.

N64 Luigi Raceway - Nice and basic, very unbalanced towards boosts and stars as you can cut huge chunks out of the big corners.

GBA Bowser Castle 1 - Some new touches, and a fairly decent course.

Wii Mushroom Gorge - I'm really not fond of the huge mushroom in Mario Kart, and this level is built around them.

DS Luigi's Mansion - A few new routes, which surprised me. The new jump shortcut just after exiting the mansion is great (the one that needs a boost).

N64 Koopa Troopa Beach - The underwater racing adds so much, this feels like a brand new track.

SNES Mario Circuit 2 - Pretty basic. Don't have much to say about it.

Wii Coconut Mall - A massive yawn-fest.

DS Waluigi Pinball - Much worse than I remembered. I'm certain that on the DS you could see the pinballs on the lower screen - here they just hit you from behind with no warning.

N64 Kalimari Desert - TRAIN!

DS DK Pass - A bit bland, but not terrible.

GCN Daisy Cruiser - This is another one that feels like a new track, thanks to the changes.

Wii Maple Treeway - One of the worst maps in the whole franchise.

Wii Koopa Cape - I really don't remember this. I don't know why because it's quite awesome.

GCN Dino Dino Jungle - About the only course from DD!! I didn't remember, it's pretty fun and there's a new risky shortcut added.

DS Airship Fortress - Good fun, but not brilliant.

SNES Rainbow Road - Extremely challenging (even more so when you're behind and the game gives you a Super Mushroom), but still a great map.

Can't believe I've nearly poured 20 hours into this already O__O

I've been getting some practice on the online multiplayer as I've spent the bulk of my time in single player which has left me with hardly any experience against human players (as shown by my ass getting handed to me by you guys). I've still got a lot more wins than losses so it's all good and it's so damn addictive.

Any one know the best way to farm gold coins? I heard whispers of TT mode allowing you to collect coins but it doesn't seem to work for me. Then again, that's probably a good thing considering I'd be playing Bowsers Castle GBA about 50 times =P

EDIT: I really hope they can patch 3DS games, because there is one hell of a glitch that allows a large majority of a course to be skipped. Some one just did it online and it confused the fuck out of me, but I've found out how they did it.

Edited by Debug Mode

EDIT: I really hope they can patch 3DS games, because there is one hell of a glitch that allows a large majority of a course to be skipped. Some one just did it online and it confused the fuck out of me, but I've found out how they did it.

Yeah, Wuhu Island seems to be the main course people glitch on.

Already!?! Bloody hell. Months and months of play testing can't find what it takes gamers to in a few days!

Was going to mention about nintendo patching, but they won't do it. (Maybe with online they might actually).

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. But I hate the friends opponents information, it does it in order of your friends, this is stupid and means it'll never get used. It should be in order of last played. I have a lot of friends, many who don't have mario kart, but I have to scroll through everyone just to look at the stats?! No thanks!

Also the whole time trial ghosts thing. They've ruined the perfect system from the wii version. I don't want to see ghosts from anyone who's name is written in kanji thanks, or any random to be truthful, it';s nice, but I'd prefer to race against ghosts from people on my friends lists, and then people I've raced online. On the wii version I could go on any track, look at all my friends times, download their ghosts if I wanted, or check continetanl, or the world. Why can't I do that on this?

And lastly, they're ruined Mii Plaza. I don't want my fucking plaza filled with all the randoms I play online. At THE MOST people I've raced who are also on my friends list. So what, we're all going to have thousands of miis after a few weeks of racing. I liked that the plaza was an account of everyone you have street passed, not it's meaningless!!!

You should be able to QUEUE (like in worldwide races) in community groups, otherwise how they hell are you going to know when you can join? Nintendo, not all groups are going to have thousands and thousands of players, some groups will only have a few dozen, and we want to play together, not in tiny factions. With this in mind, there should be a list of the groups!! (does anyone know if you can 'JOIN" a friend who is in an empty room in a community?)

(does anyone know if you can 'JOIN" a friend who is in an empty room in a community?)

This is how i've been joining the community rooms. I search for NE people on my recently played list and if they are in a lobby they have that community sign next to them so I just jump in.

And lastly, they're ruined Mii Plaza. I don't want my fucking plaza filled with all the randoms I play online. At THE MOST people I've raced who are also on my friends list. So what, we're all going to have thousands of miis after a few weeks of racing. I liked that the plaza was an account of everyone you have street passed, not it's meaningless!!!

Go to options in the Mii Plaza, select Invites and set it to Off, and it'll stop Mii's you meet online from joining your Plalza. I was very annoyed to find my Plaza filled with 200 hundred foreign strangers the other day....

I was very annoyed to find my Plaza filled with 200 hundred foreign strangers the other day....
Mii racism! :o:heh:

I think it would be OK if game invited Miis had some use within the plaza, for the puzzle and quest games. Otherwise yeah, it is a bit pointless. :hmm:

But hey, at least there's an option to turn off invitations.

I had a quick go on the banana item only community this morning (that was recommended via SpotPass), but was pretty disappointed with it. The bananas seemed to disappear from the track after a certain amount were down. :sad: I was hopping for an unlimited amount and them being everywhere! :laughing:

Also, once someone gets the lead in that style of GP they've basically won the race guaranteed, so it's kind of boring too. :zzz:

(does anyone know if you can 'JOIN" a friend who is in an empty room in a community?

I think you can join friends in the community "waiting room".

I've created an N-E community for balloon battles

55-5339-2738-5033

and for those who plan on taking part in the league next year

The N-E league 2012 community has been created

52-2439-8243-6470

Edited by lostmario

I've created an N-E community for balloon battles

55-5339-2738-5033

and for those who plan on taking part in the league next year

The N-E league 2012 community has been created

52-2439-8243-6470

Ack you couldn't have made those before I did the article on the mainsite last Saturday.

Guess I can update it... or maybe wait till nearer the league start when the official thread is up.

Anyway I only just found out that Mii's from online go into the mii plaza.... gah, turned the invitations off now and erasing all non-N-E Miis that got in...slowly.

Sidenote spotted H-o-T's mii in my plaza, don't know when I raced with him though... still don't have his new console code

Yeah, Wuhu Mountain seems to be the main course people glitch on.

Yeah I tested it on Time Trial and Jesus Christ it does send you miles ahead of every one else. I wonder how the NPC reacts to it on 150cc? Would be interesting to see but I can never seem to pull it off 100% of the time.

I think there's pretty much an unwritten rule to not use Wuhu Mountain online though as I rarely see any one vote for it. The only time I found some one using it was on /v/'s race community.

Sidenote spotted H-o-T's mii in my plaza, don't know when I raced with him though... still don't have his new console code

How did that happen. I don't think i've raced with you before.

I was playing this on my break at work and a bloke I work with was sitting next to me. He's in his 40's and heard Toad while I was playing. He looked over and had a glance at what I was playing. "Rainbow Road?" he asked. I was shocked, he was right and instantly had massive respect for him. :D

How did that happen. I don't think i've raced with you before.

It says in my plaza I met your Mii 2 days ago... so Saturday?

Is my Mii in your plaza? Or di you have inviations off already?

Speaking of which I still don't see your new code in the Codes Thread :wink:

My track thoughts. TRACK SPOILERS AHEAD.

Toad Circuit - Standard first level, nothing for it nothing against. OH WAIT GIANT FLOATING TOADS.

Daisy Hills - deceptively simple in its design I feel like this a more relaxed course...until you get near the ramps and GLIIIIIIIIIDE.

Cheep Cheep Cape - The underwater sections I really love, I feel this course is over shadowed with later course that also have underwater segments but this is more peaceful. Oh and one more thing, when you navigate across the thin strip make sure you avoid the hanging rocks from the ceiling!

Shy Guy Bazaar - It seems a bit empty like they half made it then forgot about it, it has yet to grow on me and feels like a lazier design.

Wuhu Island Loop - I didn't like the Wuhu Island ones at first, (bar the wii sports music.) They didn't feel Mario Karty enough they felt a bit bland compared to the brightness of the other levels but this and the other are well designed tracks with some great shortcuts so that I enjoy from a racing perspective, I also love this one lap 3 segments thing makes things more tense. Yeah having gone online with them I like them more and have gotten used to their slightly different style.

Mario Circuit - The pink blossom falling from the trees is a lovely touch and I thought it was gonna be fairly standard until you spiral through the castle and burst out the top. I first played on this track as peach and it felt perfect. (girly.)

Melody Motorway - blew me away the first time I played it and it's an absolute joy. I don't think I'll ever tire of going over the piano keys.

Alpine Pass - Brilliant track, one of my absolute favourites. Utilises the glider really well and shows it off as an actual game mechanic rather than just a tacked on gimmick. I like the feeling of going up the final hill when someone is just in front and I'm like dammit I was too late. I don't know why I like that feeling now that I type it out.

Piranha Plant Pipeway - Wahahahaheeeeeeeeyweeeee, is the exact reaction and noise I made when I first slipped and slid around this wonderful track which captures the Mario spirit perfectly.

Wario's Galleon - This is my favourite track. It's so mental just like in and out of water, wobbly, gliding, tight corners. It kind make up its mind what it wants to be and I have had some crazy races on it.

Koopa City - I like the neon vibe from it and I'm glad I have learnt how to tackle that sharp corner but there isn't much to it.

Wuhu Mountain Loop - See previous Wuhu Loop track for more mentioned above. I will say I prefer this one for now I think because of the sexy jump at the end and me utilising the mid air platform boost and item box to pip my opponents to the finish line. :D

DK Jungle - The track is funnn. I was like yay! Donkey Kong but I feel they could have done so much more with a DK Country returns track, I've don't feel like they've fully captured the essence their. Still well made though.

Rosalina's Ice World - I have not played this one enough. I keep selecting online but the computer never randomly selects it so I've only seen it once or twice. I enjoyed it but it clearly hasn't wow'd me yet to stick in my mind. I have an odd fascination with this track. eager.

Bowser's Castle - Immense track. I love how inbetween all that fire they still managed to sneak in a cheeky underwater bit which freshens things up.

Rainbow Road - I enjoy it's length but I wanted more! I find it hard to focus on how to do well on this track as I've not got used to the different segments yet but I do like the lower gravity when you fall on the moon.

N64 Luigi Raceway - A bit bland not too fussed about some of these raceway ones.

GBA Bowser Castle 1 - My second favourite, so great to drift round on this course and a good use of the glide again. Exhilarating.

Wii Mushroom Gorge - BOING! I know this track well, I like how the alternate route is easier to navigate with the glider now I used to fall to my death on the Wii. Not that bothered about it as I thought it was an obvious inclusion and I've played it so much on the Wii.

DS Luigi's Mansion - Love the new routes on this but I don't feel I'm enjoying it as much because I keep losing on that track unsure why. :p

N64 Koopa Troopa Beach - The y took an already great track and made it even better with the new additions. It feels so fresh and not empty like some of the N64 ones feel like now.

SNES Mario Circuit 2 - I prefer it on the SNES but interesting to see how they moved it over. :)

Wii Coconut Mall - I have creepy me that I made so at the end it's really odd when the car bumps into me and she is looking at my soul and licking her lips. putting me off. I realise that tells you nothing about the track. :heh: Maybe I have nothing new to say?

DS Waluigi Pinball - Yay! drifting, Mario Kart DS nostalgia comes into play here but I do feel like it hasn't evolved like some of the others. Like you have the gliding when you go through the warp tunnel but that doesn't feel entirely necessary.

N64 Kalimari Desert -Reminds me of when I used to spend ages just following the train round the track. It is fairly empty but I forgive it because of the train. TOOT TOOT.

DS DK Pass - This shows me how empty the DS ones can feel now. It hasn't got much going for it accept for the new glide section at the end.

GCN Daisy Cruiser - amazing. The first track I played online and I battled my way into second!

Wii Maple Treeway - I play as the Honey Bee Queen so I feel like this is her course and so I try to dominate when I'm on this track. Moderate effect so far.

Wii Koopa Cape - This feels like a whole new track. Like when I first played it I got a bit confused but yeah this is a good example of the glider and underwater sections being put to good use.

GCN Dino Dino Jungle - When this came up I was like what? I have vague memories of the Dinosaur poking its head out at you and it's feet but not the rest. Yeah I really like this track overall it feels like its got a lot of life to it without having to be a insanely designed track.

DS Airship Fortress - Drifty, not much new added to it but it was already interesting, one of the more wild ones to begin with.

SNES Rainbow Road - THIS ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY HURTS MY EYES. It's so pretty. When I feel I'm doing good I fall off.

:grin:

I tried the Gyro controls earlier they are much more solid than I thought. Bit hard to drift so a little uncomfortable from that point of view but its not unplayable. It's a shame its only in first person you can do that.

Edited by Coolness Bears

Dammit I missed one! I just copied and pasted your post for ease of use because the track names were so helpfully there. :)

I'll edit that to my thoughts now. :D What do you think of the name changes from US to UK?

like Koopa City in USA is called Neo Bowser City, I don't see the point.

SNES rainbow road is far too easy, i pretty much drift from start to finish not letting go of the acceleration at all.

however once i was going a bit too fast round the 1st thwomp corner, fell off brought back got a restart boost then fell off again... but i still won that race.

Daisy Crusier is doing my head in! I just cannot seem to get 1st place on that level on mirror mode. I was so close just now but the AI denied me by throwing a blue shell right at the last bend! This whole ordeal is costing me my final 3 star ranking on mirror mode. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEE!

EDIT: Finally! I smashed that level but Maple Treeway caused me some trouble but I managed to pip it at the end with he use of a fire flower. That is mirror mode full done now. I'm now going to go and get a large amount of shells and bombard that cruiser until it sinks like the Titanic!

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Wow. So I just did the Star Cup on Mirror mode. On the last track (Wuhu Mountain Loop), I decided to do the glitch shortcut (the one that takes about a minute off your time) because I didn't want to get screwed over by the AI. By the time I had got to the finishing stretch (after the long gliding part), the entire field had caught up with me. Talk about rubber banding!

Wow. So I just did the Star Cup on Mirror mode. On the last track (Wuhu Mountain Loop), I decided to do the glitch shortcut (the one that takes about a minute off your time) because I didn't want to get screwed over by the AI. By the time I had got to the finishing stretch (after the long gliding part), the entire field had caught up with me. Talk about rubber banding!

Na, that's not rubber banding really. I've caught up to a douche who did that on WiFi easily enough

Are physics different in random online compared to community? I'm getting completely bashed about by all the other karts.

Na, that's not rubber banding really. I've caught up to a douche who did that on WiFi easily enough

So are you saying that if I didn't do the shortcut then I would have finished a minute behind the field? Bear in mind that after I did the shortcut I didn't get hit by a single item and I sure as hell wasn't driving slowly. The game simply decided to speed up all the other racers to impossible levels to catch up with me.

I had a great session on single player yesterday. At work I managed to get 3 star on two races and then when I got 3 stars on my final 4 cups. I didn't even have to resart any of them, everything was going my way.

The best tip I can offer is to keep glancing at the bottom sceen and as soon as you see that someone gets a blue shell, slam those brakes on and drop into second. Everytime I did this I still came 1st in the race and never struggled. Other than that, as long as you race well and come first in all 4 races you should get a 3 star ranking.

*joins Debug Mode in 3 star club*