NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

Looks like I spoke too soon! The Mario Kart 7 patch is out now on the eShop!

Why it doesn't auto download, I have no idea!

Why it doesn't auto download, I have no idea!

People still want to cheat :shakehead

but those who don't update can't play online. Thanks for the heads-up!

People still want to cheat :shakehead

but those who don't update can't play online. Thanks for the heads-up!

But you can delete the update data from the System Settings screen if you want to play the vanilla version!

Ahh well, at least it stops you from going online without the update and tells you to go download it from the eShop (tried it before I updated)

The game should really re-direct you to the eShop MK7 update page though, rather than just throwing you back onto the title screen...

Edited by Dcubed

What the game should do is sleep mode download the update overnight and install it automatically so you don't have to find it on the eShop yourself lol

I need to charge my 3DS before I can do a system update just to go into the eShop

Interesting. Seems the glitch still works in offline and local play. Only the online mode has been fixed (I have tested it to hilarious effect and yes it HAS been fixed! :yay:)

I guess they didn't want to mess up existing time-trial times...

Nlife:

"It patches up glaring shortcuts in the game's Wuhu Island Loop, Wuhu Mountain Loop and GBA Bowser Castle 1 courses."

Really? I had no idea you could cheat in Island loop and GBA Bowsers castle, at least they've been fixed.

Played some random matches last week and Wuhu Island Loop came up but only 1 person used the glitch. Either I was matched up some decent players or no one really used it anymore?

Interesting. Seems the glitch still works in offline and local play. Only the online mode has been fixed (I have tested it to hilarious effect and yes it HAS been fixed! :yay:)

I guess they didn't want to mess up existing time-trial times...

Sucks that it still works in offline multiplayer :(

Sucks that it still works in offline multiplayer :(

Mind you though, I suppose that local play doesn't really need a patch. You can just whack the cheater on the head if they take the glitchcut. In-built solution! :D

So they haven't fixed the retarded decision not to be able to compare time trials with FRIENDS, thus making that component borderline pointless!?

Hahaha! More people are picking Wuhu Mountain Loop online now than before the patch! :laughing:

Seen a couple of people still going for the short-cut too, probably just testing if the patch has worked (I highly doubt anyone downloaded the patch, unaware of what it does :heh:), still funny to see though. :D

The AI in this game is so crude and unfair; it's like you get punished for being good... stay mid pack and you get left alone. It needs to be much less obvious so events appear more serendipitous rather than premeditated.

Edited by madeinbeats

The AI in this game is so crude and unfair; it's like you get punished for being good... stay mid pack and you get left alone. It needs to be much less obvious so evens appear more serendipitous rather than premeditated.

That's pretty much how I spent my single player experience. Luckily, enough people are starting to catch on to this bullshit that Nintendo might just actually have a look into implementing proper AI rather than just spam out the artificial difficulty.

No matter how large of a portion the multiplayer is supposed to take up of your experience, as long as single player has some bearing on the game, don't cut corners. Nintendo has enough money and enough resources to deliver, but as we all know they did technically rush it to get it out by the years end. I would definitely welcome a second 3DS Mario Kart if they fully flesh it out, despite the fact that having 2 Mario Kart games on one system is currently unheard of.

That's pretty much how I spent my single player experience. Luckily, enough people are starting to catch on to this bullshit that Nintendo might just actually have a look into implementing proper AI rather than just spam out the artificial difficulty.

No matter how large of a portion the multiplayer is supposed to take up of your experience, as long as single player has some bearing on the game, don't cut corners. Nintendo has enough money and enough resources to deliver, but as we all know they did technically rush it to get it out by the years end. I would definitely welcome a second 3DS Mario Kart if they fully flesh it out, despite the fact that having 2 Mario Kart games on one system is currently unheard of.

Going for 3 stars on single player is simply a roll of the dice. If the game decides to pick on you, you just have to restart.

Do you get many streetpass hits in town mate? Might be around L1 on the weekend and take the DS with.

Do you get many streetpass hits in town mate? Might be around L1 on the weekend and take the DS with.

I'm actually only there during term time and this semester I was travelling up to Liverpool each week from just outside London heh.

But yeah, I did get a fair few hits each time, problem is I don't check enough to pin point where they all are. Walking through the high street will net you a couple on busy days I'm sure, but before I get into town I go past 2 colleges and my university so I might be getting hits from the students.

Definitely hit Albert Dock though. Both times I went there recently have gotten me hits from foreign 3DS users. That and Albert Dock has an awesome old fashioned sweet shop heh.

I'm actually only there during term time and this semester I was travelling up to Liverpool each week from just outside London heh.

Ah, right so. Forgot about the tourist crowd, should get some bonus points for that. Guess they're all down the docks for The Beatles thing. Will have to have a mooch around anyway, just hope I don't get penalised for passing students :D Will stay clear of The Pilgrim then!:p

Right:laughing:

Just saw this on NINTENDO's official Facebook page:laughing:

Summer is here! Heat up the Mario Kart 7 racetracks by creating a Community and challenging a friend or other online players on your Nintendo 3DS system. Don’t forget to tell us how you’re doing on the leaderboards!

They have a different view of what a leaderboard is:laughing:

Maybe we should present them with the MK7 league leaderboard. Who knows, we might even get a collective prize for working with these troublesome MK Servers.

I put on the game yesterday and all of a sudden i see a message on the screen which was something like this "save data corrupted press A to reset" i feared for the worst and sure enough all my save data was wiped off. Has this happened to anyone recently? i can't be bothered to unlock all the characters and what have you :( i will sell this game as a result

At a StreetPass meetup today I was pleasantly surprised when I turned this game on and got a message saying I'd unlocked a new custom part for getting 100 StreetPasses. Got the gold glider.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't it so that when you race online, Karts are not equal in terms of speed, that those who've spent dozens of hours and gained 3 stars for example will have an edge over a person who's still trying to get 1 star? Is it not possible to have online races where every kart is the same so races become more fair, or is that just a part of the Mario Kart franchise that if you don't have time to practise then it's your own fault, or did I misunderstand something and all karts are indeed equal and I just plain suck at MK7 haha? :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't it so that when you race online, Karts are not equal in terms of speed, that those who've spent dozens of hours and gained 3 stars for example will have an edge over a person who's still trying to get 1 star? Is it not possible to have online races where every kart is the same so races become more fair, or is that just a part of the Mario Kart franchise that if you don't have time to practise then it's your own fault, or did I misunderstand something and all karts are indeed equal and I just plain suck at MK7 haha? :)
So races become more fair... FAIR!? :heh:

Get that word out of your vocabulary for a start, it doesn't exist in the world of Mario Kart. :laughing:

But yeah, custom parts are unlocked randomly as you progress through the game, so the only "advantage" that someone who's played for dozens of hours and gained 3 stars has is that they've probably unlocked everything already.

That, and they've obviously had a lot of practice at the game too. :D

But to be honest, although different kart combinations/characters influence various factors, like speed, acceleration, handling etc. they don't make so much difference that you can't compete with any other combination type.

For example, we're currently doing races in the league where everyone uses the exact same character and kart combination, but the game is as random and crazy as ever. That's because it's the items that have the biggest influence on gameplay, not which character or kart combo you use.

My advice is just to play through, find a combination that feels right for you and then stick with it. Whatever combination it is, you wont be at any advantage or disadvantage compared to anyone else, not when items are also in the mix.

If we're talking Time Trials or GPs with no items, that would be a different story, but that's not Mario Kart, not for me anyway, the randomness created by the items is what makes it great. :)

As I mentioned to you on Letter Box, the best way to enjoy any Mario Kart game is to not take it too seriously. There's such a huge element of luck involved in the game (and it seems to increase with every iteration) that no matter how good you are, you will never be able to be consistently good, as luck will always play a major part. ;)

There's such a huge element of luck involved in the game (and it seems to increase with every iteration) that no matter how good you are, you will never be able to be consistently good, as luck will always play a major part. ;)

Pretty much this. It's what makes Mario Kart so enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.

I help out with a kind of a youth programme for teenagers at my church and we get together on a Wednesday night and do various activities. Last week we had a retro games night and I took my Cube over with Mario Kart Double Dash. Man, the laughs we all had on it due to items being spammed were amazing.

The cries of outrage as the dreaded Blue Shell hit, the tears shed as we all got knocked off Rainbow road, and the sheer joy when someone got a mushroom and zipped past everyone for the win on the last lap of Baby Park. This is what Mario Kart is all about. :D

Thanks guys for your replies, you're the best! It makes me appreciate and view the game in a new way. :)

So then have you guys seen this? http://www.facebook.com/MK7Tournament

Nintendo UK is running a Mario Kart 7 competition online where you have to enter a community and get the most points, the 2 people with most points in the community get invited to race at a grand finals in Birmingham. I've already entered, anyone else gonna enter? If you win you get free Nintendo games for a year :eek: