NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

Just had a horrible thing in an online match. And by horrible, I mean hilarious

I had just got a Lucky 7. As I was about to use the Star on it, a Blue Shell shot past me, grazing the Lucky 7 right as the Bomb was there. The bomb exploded and shot the star off into my friend who was just in front of me, making him invulnerable to the explosion and ended up using it to win :(

Edited by Serebii

I always seem to hit myself with the bomb when using the Lucky 7. Half the time I haven't a clue how I do it either. :D I think Cube hit himself with it aswell when we were online yesterday.

That's fine, I'll sit in the timeout corner...

...playing Mario Kart 7! :D

I should have thought that through a bit more.... ok I'm taking your 3DS away... you can have it back for one hour for every 2 hours you spend on Zelda till you finish it :heh:

Peach, Daisy AND Rosalina. Shy Guy. Metal Mario. Queen Bee.

No Diddy Kong. No Waluigi. Fuck this games ridiculous character selection.

If the stats are now mainly the choice of karts/wheels/gliders, I really don't see why they couldn't go overboard with characters. It's about time Goomba had a go.

Just hit a new level of stupidly insane AI.

I won my fist 2 races and then on the 3rd race, on the last lap, I get hit with a blue shell, then lightning, then a redshell and the get knocked off the edge, all in the space of 3 seconds! I managed to regroup and come second in that race, but then the same thing happend on the next race. Last lap, blue shell, redshell, squashed by boulder! Freaking came 4th and lost the cup!

It would be nice to play a Mario Kart game where there is no rubber banding AND the AI isn't cheap. Can Nintendo not programme some decent AI on a Mario Kart game or something?

A quick question in regards to Mirror Mode. Is it set on 150cc or is it lower? It seems slightly slower than 150cc and the AI seem less aggressive aswell.

Sega All-Stars Racing had rubber-banding as an option. I had it on most of the time as races were much more fun with it on. They just need to get the balance of it right.

Did anyone go to the GAME Mario Kart 7 competition yesterday? And if so, what were the rules and course played in that store? I won in Cardiff with a time of 1'54 on Cheep Cheep Cape. I was only allowed 1 try and had to use Mario in the default Kart.

I was later told that the nationwide winner got a time of 1'40, which I find very suspicious. The best time I have heard of from the online time trial scene (which has loads of dedicated players really destroying every course) is only 1'39, and that would be with loads of attempts and a kart which is faster than the default one. To get so close in just a single attempt with the default kart seems very far-fetched to me.

I'd really like to know if the same course and rules were used in other GAME stores.

Picked up the game earlier today and I must say, even on the 50cc setting, there are too many blue shells and lightning bolts being thrown about. I've won every race and 3 starred the cups I've done on that class setting but I think I got hit with 4 blue shells and about 3 lightning bolts in one race. Disgusting attempts at rubberbanding, which tells me all I need to know about how bad it'll be on 150cc.

Anyway, the new courses are ok. Some review I watched somewhere said that the new tracks were the best in the series to date but I'm not seeing it yet. Still have to play through Special cup for the first time, and I suppose the tracks will feel better when I go onto a higher class setting, but the best of the bunch so far is the Wuhu Island loop (only because of all of the short cuts).

Tried a bit of online, seems to be some cheating already as the first match I played had a Japanese racer that was miles ahead of everyone else and he wasn't picking up items, so don't know what was happening there. Finished 4th. Then picked another matchup around Wuhu Island loop and won (thanks to the short cuts :heh:)

No Waluigi. Fuck this games ridiculous character selection.
Yeah, I was mystified by that one, especially as Waluigi Pinball is part of the track selection. ::shrug:

Not that bothered about the character list any more though, I'm just gonna stick with my Mii from now on.

If the stats are now mainly the choice of karts/wheels/gliders, I really don't see why they couldn't go overboard with characters. It's about time Goomba had a go.
Characters do still have a pretty big effect on stats, heavy = speed, light = acceleration, medium = slight allround etc...

A quick question in regards to Mirror Mode. Is it set on 150cc or is it lower? It seems slightly slower than 150cc and the AI seem less aggressive aswell.
I think it's the same speed as 150cc. :hmm:

Did anyone get any SpotPass stuff for this today?

Picked up the game earlier today and I must say, even on the 50cc setting, there are too many blue shells and lightning bolts being thrown about. I've won every race and 3 starred the cups I've done on that class setting but I think I got hit with 4 blue shells and about 3 lightning bolts in one race. Disgusting attempts at rubberbanding, which tells me all I need to know about how bad it'll be on 150cc.

Just witnessed some more myself. Koopa Troopa was in 6th place but him being my rival the computer needed to make him second. I watched on the map as he blitzed his way through the crowd and was then right behind me without using any items. Shocking.

Nintendo either need to beef up the single player experience with more content or actually make an attempt to code convincing AI that doesn't rely on luck to win a race. No wonder they poured so much effort into the online multiplayer for this one, it would have felt like an utter cop out if we didn't have communities and such.

No single player VS mode (which is downright lazy) and more importantly, no mission mode. It's not going to overtake my favourite Mario Kart (MKDS), but it's still fun enough to be my second favourite because of the online features.

Mario Kart has ALWAYS relied on luck. It's not a realistic racer. You have to adapt to it. Learn to use it to your advantage, that's what I do, and oh look, I still win against the AI

Mario Kart has ALWAYS relied on luck. It's not a realistic racer. You have to adapt to it. Learn to use it to your advantage, that's what I do, and oh look, I still win against the AI

Oh don't get me wrong, I've always known that and I always take it into account when doing single player. But you've got to admit, the later stages on this version really do take the piss and I would have forgiven it if it didn't feel so artificial with the difficulty and longevity of the single player experience.

Would also like to know your secrets for adapting and taking advantage of blue shells and lightning bolts over pits though ;)

Neither is Sega All Star Racing and they had the sense to give you the option to knock of rubber banding AI.

On my last Mirror Mode race now then that's me done with single player I've got one star with all of them so that will do.

I have to say I am really disappointed with no Mission Mode too - I enjoyed them in MKDS - and I agree with you @Debug Mode - that will always be the greatest MK in my eyes. :)

I am really enjoying this game though. And what is so great to see - is no 'jaggies'!!

It's the smoothest 3ds game I have played - even with the 3d set to full. It looks fantastic and is visually brilliant.

Enjoying playing through some of the older classic tracks such as the N64 Koopa Beach one.

Love the Wuhu Island tracks and also love Wario's Galleon - could possibly replace Delfino Square as my favourite track! : peace:

Oh don't get me wrong, I've always known that and I always take it into account when doing single player. But you've got to admit, the later stages on this version really do take the piss and I would have forgiven it if it didn't feel so artificial with the difficulty and longevity of the single player experience.

Would also like to know your secrets for adapting and taking advantage of blue shells and lightning bolts over pits though ;)

I sometimes lose, yes...but 95% of the time, I still come in first. Not sure how but it occurs.

Yes, it can be frustrating, but seriously, how would you have it?

Yes, it can be frustrating, but seriously, how would you have it?

*points to my previous post*

Giving the player the option would be the best move.

I've been losing repeatedly against RedShell and welsh_gamer this afternoon. :cry: Still, on the plus side, I've now got a star after my name after beating Mirror Mode.

I've been losing repeatedly against RedShell and welsh_gamer this afternoon. :cry: Still, on the plus side, I've now got a star after my name after beating Mirror Mode.

Yeah, I seem to do better when RedShell isn't there. I may avoid his group in the future. :D Had some great races with Zell and a few others just now. Very close races. :)

*points to my previous post*

Giving the player the option would be the best move.

I strongly disagree. It would make the game too easy

Then don't use it. That's the beauty of having it an option.

But Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing wasn't too easy at the later stages. I'd rather have more substance to the single player modes than have it prolonged with cheap tricks.

Like I said, I wouldn't have minded it too much if they hadn't got rid of mission mode as getting 3 stars on those was pretty much the only thing aside from time trials in MKDS that didn't depend on luck.

Yeah, I seem to do better when RedShell isn't there. I may avoid his group in the future. :D
Oh thanks a lot. :heh:

I had a really weird glitch happen on my game while playing a single player GP, was about to get hit by a blue shell right before a jump, so I just let myself fall off the track instead of getting hit. But when Lakitu put me back on the track the warning sound of the blue shell was still going, it was on a permanent loop! :laughing:

After a minute or so another blue shell gets fired by a CPU kart (surprise surprise :D) this time it hits me though and the warning sound finally stops. Thank God, it was doing my head in. :hehe:

I like that they've tried to balance it out and have more female characters... but they're all royalty, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina and Bee.

I'd love to see Captain Syrup... she's such an awesome badass Nintendo girl that's been far too neglected.