N-Europe

Mario Kart 7

Retro_Link

Nintendo?... track editor? You have to be kidding me.. Nintendo barely let you change the controls in their games, not to mention a editing a level/track in their games :D

I don't mean existing tracks. Creating new ones would usually be different and another mode entirely.

In a lot of Nintendo games I find the controls to be perfect as they are. But look at the last Mario Kart for options/modes and then Smash Bros. Brawl says hello. They seem

to be upping their game.

This customisation is a template Mario Kart would do well to ape.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There won't be a track editor in this Mario Kart. Mark my words. :p

The issue with editors like the one in LBP or Modnation Racers is, that they are rather complex software in themselves, that is to some extend separate from the core game. Nintendo is so conservative in the cost department, that are very unlikely to add a feature that demands so much dedicated development effort, unless they think it's absolutely necessary for the game's core experience. It wasn't for Mario Kart during the whole last decade and it won't be now. Even less, if they have to rush the game out this year and it seems this might be the case.

A poor man's editor, like the one found in Smash Brothers, Excitebike 64 or Timesplitters 2 might be a possibility, but even that is unlikely.

Now to something I consider more feasible and in the realm of possible enhancements for MK:3DS. I've though about Nintendo's Spot Pass stuff for a bit (Has it been used in any games so far?).

I found racing ghosts in MK:Wii in order to unlock stuff surprisingly compelling. Until I had everything, that is. ;) Shaving off tens of seconds from your times can be an addictive feature if you only have a bit of incentive.

As far as I understand spot pass, the 3DS starts broadcasting and receiving general and game specific data once it is in range of a wireless access point. Getting ghosts data through street pass would be certainly nice, but permanently getting ghost data and lap records from everyone in the friend list sounds a lot more compelling. The simple exchange and displaying of the data wouldn't be enough though.

I'm imagining something like subtle hint in the main menu, which notifies you whenever you've received new ghost data/lap records from someone (at best, there would also have to be a hint in the OS menu). Once you tap on the (in-game) hint for details, the game conveniently shows how your efforts compare to these times and who was responsible for beating your record. From there a button could directly lead you to the cart/driver selection and onto the track, where you are able to race your friend's ghosts.

I'm sure this kind of asynchronous multiplayer could give the game quit a lot of long time appeal, even if Nintendo only manages to build an online component for racing mute strangers again. ;)

Edit: Now that I think about Spot Pass, it could be used for all kinds of great stuff, as long as the implementation is convenient and doesn't require you to bend backwards every time you want use it.

Supposing they still have no notable communication features on the 3DS when MK releases, a kind of appointment system through spot pass might work wonders in terms of getting to race people from your friend list. Just allowing simple in-game announcements like "will be on tomorrow, from 20:00 to 21:00" that are distributed to everyone in the friendlist who owns the game might help. They cannot possibly believe their player base is willing to start a phone conference or organize through forums everytime they want to play together for half an hour...

Edited by Burny

Other than user created content, (remember the logos you could make on the DS?) retro tracks must appear. I'm sure we will see Wii tracks make an appearance too. Any favourites? I wasn't a fan of many Wii tracks, preferring the retro tracks (knocking on see!)

Grumble Volcano

Maple Treeway

Toad's Factory

Three of my favourites, and I'm sure we'll get new Luigi/Mario/Rainbow/Bowser tracks.

What would be nice though, is if they added this classic:

31.jpg

Personally, I loved Double Dash! and it saddens me that I no longer can form teams on a buggy.

I mean, what's not to like about this?

Petey-Piranha-and-King-Boo-mario-kart-852182_399_356.jpg

Look at the li´l fellas. They´re having so much fun TOGETHER!

Edited by Fused King

Well as for courses in MARIOKART WII, DAISY CIRCUIT doesn't have a positive track-record in my brains memory :nono:

Though I really genuinely didn't mind it, though it wasn't super special power-up like that Dutch dude 'Japjer' boasted :mad: ... made my days worrying I tell'ya :weep:

@Fused King, I wanted Wario's Stadium (64 & Cube) to be in MKW :D

I don't mean existing tracks. Creating new ones would usually be different and another mode entirely.

This customisation is a template Mario Kart would do well to ape.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but with it being developed in-house there is no chance in hell.

To be perfectly honest, so did I : peace:.

Although I can understand people not liking, hence me using it as an example/joke.

Mii thrii :D

It was actually fun in an hectic kind of a way, with all the special items just being let loose (hated when I was Baby Mario and when I unleashed my giant Chain-Chomp and the rollercoaster crashes it away. No fair! :laughing: ). Also, was fun time-challenging family/mates/ghosts times on that course. Had to snake perfectly round the corners, time when to pull off each snake (just before the snake-boost begins to dim), and just nailing that rhythm to get ultra lightning lap/race times.

Epic.

Also, was fun time-challenging family/mates/ghosts times on that course. Had to snake perfectly round the corners, time when to pull off each snake (just before the snake-boost begins to dim), and just nailing that rhythm to get ultra lightning lap/race times.

Epic.

In comes Spot Pass ghost sharing / challenges. ;)

Grumble Volcano

Maple Treeway

Toad's Factory

Yes, yes, NO. :heh:

Replace that Toad's Factory with Koopa Cape and then you're onto something.

Petey Piranha's fat head covering up most of the screen. :blank:

But yeah, Double Dash!! was fun.

It was, I agree. Petey Piranha is probably the worst and stupidist inclusion of a character in Nintendo history. Just cos he has some screen time in Mario Sunshine they decide he merits a spot in Mario Kart? Aye, dead on.

Double dash was great fun with multiple people. Also, stunning DK level ftw.

Baby Park was indeed amazing for time trials. Think I remember getting under 10 second laps. Addictive stuff.

If I remember correctly, the GBA game had all the SNES tracks then the DS game had a sort of 'best of' as did the console versions.

Nintendo will probably take this stance again.

It was, I agree. Petey Piranha is probably the worst and stupidist inclusion of a character in Nintendo history. Just cos he has some screen time in Mario Sunshine they decide he merits a spot in Mario Kart? Aye, dead on.

petey2.jpg

Darksnowman, Petey Piranha.

Petey Piranha, Darksn.....oh, ...you got eaten.:heh:

petey2.jpg

Darksnowman, Petey Piranha.

Petey Piranha, Darksn.....oh, ...you got eaten.:heh:

:laughing: You were one step ahead of me.

Still hasn't been I title where fucking that bitch up has been satisfying! :nono: Probably should've made it playable in SSBB perhaps.

31.jpg

That was probably one of the better tracks in Double Dash but then that really isn't saying much for me as I feel that it has the worst courses of any Mario Kart game :hmm: It was still a very good game but, in reality, that particular track probably highlighted as much as any other the somewhat questionable physics at play in the game ::shrug:

Also, Petey Pirahna was a ridiculous choice of character. Off all the things in the Mario universe that could have been called upon, how on earth did he get the nod..? :nono:

• 1 month later...

Had a diddy kong feel with all the different styles of racing, though it's more Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with the same car changing depending on what's happening! I liked the bit where the car comes from under water and a hanglider lands from above, showing the design, great!

You know I assume it's partly for 60fps and good 3D effects but I wish this game didnt visually look like a texture filtered version of MKDS.

I'm aware that Mario Kart is a completely different type of game and requires a completely different type of engine...BUT you cant look at Resident Evil, then this, and wonder if Nintendo couldnt be trying a BIT harder.

The gimmicks in the trailer are okay, I like driving directly underwater. It is like Diddy Kong Racing but seamlessly merged together. It just would be great if it had a strong sense of visual polish so I cold genuinely say "Game looks great".