N-Europe

Mario Kart 7

Retro_Link

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What story could you effectively write for a racing game though?

Diddy Kong Racing is the only game I can think of to do it well but that was more an adventure/racing game. MarioKart is a pure racing title and doesn't really need a story imo.

Unless you introduced some antagonists to the series (or just used bowser & co) and had them challenge the mario crew to a race... but you still end up with a beginning, lots of races and then an ending. A story just seems like it'd be an arbitrary addition...

What story could you effectively write for a racing game though?

Diddy Kong Racing is the only game I can think of to do it well but that was more an adventure/racing game. MarioKart is a pure racing title and doesn't really need a story imo.

Unless you introduced some antagonists to the series (or just used bowser & co) and had them challenge the mario crew to a race... but you still end up with a beginning, lots of races and then an ending. A story just seems like it'd be an arbitrary addition...

That's kinda what I mean. What Diddy Kong racing, F-zero gx and Crash team racing for the PS1 did.

Just something to keep the single-player game going besides a time trial. The ds version was on the right track with the " mission mode" but expand it.

F-zero GX kept me going for weeks with it's unlockables and different modes.

Mario kart 3ds is just going to make you play through the same damn 50 CC, 100 CC and 150 CC and mirror mode again isn't it?

Even in F-zero GX, when you played the expert mode.. you didn't have to play the beginner mode.. it would include it as the victory.

Story mode? In a Mario Kart game?

And what does online have to do with story? :wtf:

If you don't have any friends with the game... What the hell else are you supposed to do? Single player is a more important experience on a handheld because of this. They will probably compensate just by having an On-line mode.

I just feel that mario kart could be SOO much more, but they love doing the bare minimum in every game.

Very very good news. With so many excellent titles coming so relatively soon, nobody will be able to complain about the available software for very long. Even though I don't have any 3DS games right now, I have a feeling that that will change in about one and a half months with OoT, from which point on I will probably be playing amazing 3DS games for a long time to come. All these other titles should also make the wait for MK3D a bit more bearable which I'm certainly not complaining about.

My biggest hope for this one is that they really make the online functional and feature-rich. The universal friend codes were a step in the right direction, and I hope they keep going that way.

The ds version was on the right track with the " mission mode" but expand it.

Agreed. I fully expect them to do a new mission mode. Can't see them trying to shoehorn a story into Mario Kart but the missions on the MK: DS were a great addition.

Hopefully to keep us ticking over beyond that they will put out DLC missions in the form of the competitions we got on Mario Kart Wii. :grin:

Agreed. I fully expect them to do a new mission mode. Can't see them trying to shoehorn a story into Mario Kart but the missions on the MK: DS were a great addition.

Hopefully to keep us ticking over beyond that they will put out DLC missions in the form of the competitions we got on Mario Kart Wii. :grin:

Glad someone takes the idea seriously :).

I don't really want a "story" per say. Just an adventure or a decent challenge mode with unlockables. Crash team racing had a mode where you had to collect the letters "C" "T" and "R" hidden somewhere in the track.

This was a fun little idea and made you explore every last bit of track.

I'd too would love to see some more missions like the DS version. That game was sublime in many ways.

Please give us a track maker too! Then we can wifi/street pass them. It would be immense.

Also, KONAMI need to remake Krazy Racers. Wai wai wai wai wai wai racing (oh right!)

OH MY GOD...

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!!!

Damn right! :yay:

*High five* :D

Please give us a track maker too! Then we can wifi/street pass them. It would be immense.
As much as I would love a Mario Kart track editor (pretty sure I don't need to tell anyone that :heh:), unfortunately I just don't see it happening. :blank: If MK was pure racing without power-ups then maybe (F-Zero has already done the track editor thing a couple of times) but as it is, custom tracks in MK could be disastrous to the balance of the game.

But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, KONAMI need to remake Krazy Racers. Wai wai wai wai wai wai racing (oh right!)
You can't mention that without posting the music! :eek:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

:laughing:

Or these:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And especially this:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

:love:

That last tune is one of my all-time favourites, absolutely phenomenal. :bowdown:

*Remembers that MK3DS might feature an air guitar soundtrack*

Poopiees. :sad:

Doesn't anyone else think, that all Mario Kart needs beyond the usual racing and hopefully a solid battle mode, are finally good online features for racing with friends? Screw the track editor, screw the missions, just get the basics and online right for a change.

I would have known the people to play the game with on the Wii, but not having a sensible battle mode and private races with convenient means of communication put me off even trying to race them. Racing mute people worked well enough in MK:Wii, but it was just that: racing mute people you might as well not know in Mario Kart. Takes out all the fun for me.

What gets me, is that Nintendo might have the means to update the 3DS' OS with the functionality or build the functionality into the game itself, but if they're forced to rush the game out this year, it might just be another MK:Wii. Going by their track record, they might even ignore these flaws, even if they don't have to rush.

I'll wait with the real whining until they show what they have in store for the 3DS, but I'm slightly pessimistic for now. If they get it right this time, this might well be the game I'll buy a 3DS for. If they don't, well, the 3DS will still be around if I wait another two years.

Redshell:

mind blown from the memories. Krazy Racers was absolutely superb with amazing tunage and Konami are mental to not have brought another version to a Nintendo platform. (iPhone version is poor though!)

Track editor would be good if it was kept offline just for trading and local play. Modnation Racers was great on the PS3 for making tracks and a Nintendo slant on this would be great. Just don't do what Diddy Kong Racing DS did (put it in the clouds!) Trackside customisation is very important when creating tracks.

Other than user created content, (remember the logos you could make on the DS?) retro tracks must appear. I'm sure we will see Wii tracks make an appearance too. Any favourites? I wasn't a fan of many Wii tracks, preferring the retro tracks (knocking on see!)

Edited by tapedeck