N-Europe

Miyamato - "My Best is Yet To Come"

Dante

From mcvuk.com -

World-renowned games designer Shigeru Miyamoto has said his best work is yet to come, and the challenge of building the next line of consoles comes down to how unique Nintendo can make theirs.

In an interview with GamesTM he said: “In the past five years I’ve been working on such unusual titles like Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort.

“Ten years ago I could never have been able to imagine that I would be making games like that. That’s why I can say that the best is yet to come to me.”

GamesTM also quizzed the Nintendo legend on a HD Wii console.

“Technology is always evolving and Nintendo, just like other companies, is going to integrate those technologies into our new products as they develop,” Miyamoto added.

“Whether that be a Wii HD, Wii 2 or an entirely new console, I am not in a position to say at the moment.

“I think that in the next generation of hardware, the challenge is how unique and different a product Nintendo is able to make.”

When GamesTM told Miyamoto that they’d love to see a new Starfox game for Wii, he replied: “Me too.”

He also previously said to Japanese games magazine Famitsu that the Wiimote could be used to control the Arwing in Starfox.

Miyamoto picked up a lifetime achievement award at the video game BAFTAs last month. He created many of Nintendo’s original franchises, including Mario and Zelda.

The man is a genius there is no denying this....

but its been a while since he has made something that core gamers can enjoy and I really doubt he is talking about again here.

Vitality sensor could blow my mind you never know.

but AM I assume ths is his way of hyping up either the 3ds or whatever wii 2 will have to offer.

but its been a while since he has made something that core gamers can enjoy and I really doubt he is talking about again here.

If we just say that the last thing he "made" was Wii Sports Resort, then... well... I for one found that pretty damn enjoyable.

Am I now going to attempted to be convinced that the general 'core' sentiment towards Wii Sports Resort was that is was no good?

If we just say that the last thing he "made" was Wii Sports Resort, then... well... I for one found that pretty damn enjoyable.

Am I now going to attempted to be convinced that the general 'core' sentiment towards Wii Sports Resort was that is was no good?

Oh no I'm not saying these titles aren't good in the end.. i was saying I wouln't expect the next big thing to be starfox like everyone is thinking or to be as core as a game like zelda.

One of the most impressive facets of Shigeru Miyamoto is the fact that with new technologies he seems to re-engage with the medium of videogaming going on to produce innovative and enjoyable titles.

When compared with other top creative talents across multiple entertainment genres, it is impressive that Miyamoto seems to embrace new technology as a means to not only enhance what we see on screen but what we experience.

If ever there was a formula for pure, unadulterated fun, Miyamoto would live and breathes it.

While it was a fun game, it didn't really try to reach out to the core/mainstream. It was a purely casual game, which of course some core gamers might still find enjoyable.

It's quite some time since Nintendo launched a traditional Nintendo game. Of course, Metroid: Other M and Sin & Punishment 2 are going to be released soon, but nothing from Nintendo themselves. Here's a list of games I really want to see:

Excite Bike

Waverace

1080 Snowboarding

Pilotwings

Starfox

Gran Turismo 5's last nail in the coffin

Did Miyamoto even have anything to do with Wii Sports Resort? Miyamoto gets more credit than he deserves. No, not that he's worse than people make him out to be, but just people give him credit for projects he's hardly involved in (for instance, people believe Miyamoto was the producer for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but it was actually both Takashi Tezuka and Hiroyuki Kimura who produced the title. Shigsy was neither a lead designer or director either). In contrast though, he did heaps for Metroid Prime, which many people don't acknowledge so I guess it all works out.

Anyway, I'd love to see what he's working on. What was the last of his IPs that appealed to the core - Pikmin?

In fairness, I'm with him on this one :heh:

I've played the latest Excite Bike briefly but, if like me, you loved Excite Bike 64 then I'm sure a large part of you still craves a sequel :hehe:

As for the rest of darkjak's list, I can't really complain there either (apart from Gran Turismo 5's last nail.. Nintendo, for me, already provide an excellent and diverse range of racing games which include 1080, Wave Race, Excite Bike, F-Zero and Mario Kart) ..I just wish we had new versions of each! Having said that, I'd accept not having them (apart from, obviously, Mario Kart) this generation if they were to give us new versions on Nintendo's next, and presumably more powerful, console :heh:

It's quite some time since Nintendo launched a traditional Nintendo game. Of course, Metroid: Other M and Sin & Punishment 2 are going to be released soon, but nothing from Nintendo themselves.

Metroid Other M is actually a joint effort between internal teams, and team ninja. But I see your point. Although, you seem to be missing Mario Galaxy 2, which is about as traditional Nintendo as it gets. Not to mention Zelda this fall.

METAL GEAR SOLID IV FOR WII CONFIRMED :D

I'd buy it. Even if it looked like a PS1 game and played like early 3D games forgoing the analog sticks, it would just be to hilarious to pass up. Even more so if it didn't go to 360 as well.

I love Miyamoto's best work, but I don't understand his logic here. He seems to be implying that "unusual" games like Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort are better than his previous games, and that future unusual games would be better still.

Now, I've got Wii Sports Resort, and whilst the controls are impressive, that doesn't make it better than Ocarina of Time.

Miyamoto admitted that he used to be obsessed with 3D worlds, and I'm sorry to say, that is why his games used to be so good and they're not so good now. I hope Miyamoto's best work is yet to come, but if he is to better Ocarina of Time, it will be because a lot of thought has gone into improving the experience, not because of gimmicky controls.

In fairness, I'm with him on this one :heh:

I've played the latest Excite Bike briefly but, if like me, you loved Excite Bike 64 then I'm sure a large part of you still craves a sequel :hehe:

As for the rest of darkjak's list, I can't really complain there either (apart from Gran Turismo 5's last nail.. Nintendo, for me, already provide an excellent and diverse range of racing games which include 1080, Wave Race, Excite Bike, F-Zero and Mario Kart) ..I just wish we had new versions of each! Having said that, I'd accept not having them (apart from, obviously, Mario Kart) this generation if they were to give us new versions on Nintendo's next, and presumably more powerful, console :heh:

I don't consider the Wii Excitebike to actually be a propper Excitebike sequel. What they've done is to take one of the modes in Excitebike 64 and sell it as a standalone game.

Nintendo already provide (or providED, since Wave Race, Excitebike, 1080 and F-Zero are MIA at the moment) good racing experiences, but there's really nothing in the semi-realistic car racing genre. While a lot of you here don't like that kind of game, it's a huge seller for the other formats. I personally love games with real cars and realistic handling, and the ability to tweak them to your liking.

I'm holding my hopes up to be fair, Miyamoto saying "my best is yet to come". Wonder how he means that.

Wondering about that aswell. In the article it says "That’s why I can say that the best is yet to come to me". Does that mean the same as "my best is yet to come"? The latter sounds to cocky for Miyamoto in my ears, then again, english isn't my first language. It sounds more like he's expecting some sort of epiphany, you know...like those magical moments on the crapper:D

Big words from the man who gave us WiiMusic. If you take that as a starting point, any way goes up. ;)

Seriously, though, he's made some quality titles lately (Galaxy, to name but one), but I felt he was on a winning streak up to the middle of the Gamecube-era. Ever since the late Gamecube-era, it's been going downhill IMO. Not in the regions of bad, but while Galaxy is awesome, where are the Pikmins of this generation? Where are the new games (and not applications or toys, as Miyamoto himself called WiiMusic)?

He also said Nintendo has to stay unique. I agree to some point, but 'unique' doesn't mean you can't take a cue from other companies. *cough*online*cough* Nintendo can be very stubborn, sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. They have good and unique ideas, but they often seem to believe they are the only ones who have.

Still, Miyamoto is a genius and a true asset of Nintendo. That's more than can be said about Reggie, who apart from introducing the DS and making a memorable quote, only act as a talking, walking PowerPoint. Sure, it's PR and a very different branch, but I think in the past 6 years Reggie has done more bad than good for the public image. Just hear him talking during the last few E3's. Painfully dull. And the less said about promoting 3rd-party software, the better. And not releasing Excitebots in Europe, or Disaster and Coded Memory in the States, and (the biggest offender): not releasing Fatal Frame 4 in the West at all? Sure, it wasn't his decision alone, but I've really grown to despise that man.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall, eh.

Edited by Strange Cookie

He also said Nintendo has to stay unique. I agree to some point, but 'unique' doesn't mean you can't take a cue from other companies. *cough*online*cough* Nintendo can be very stubborn, sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. They have good and unique ideas, but they often seem to believe they are the only ones who have.

Haha, I'd agree with that. But, maybe that's just the Nintendo way, to follow their own path. It certainly doesn't hurt to take a lot at what others are doing though, if only for inspiration.

What gets me is that sometimes things are just not as fleshed out as they could be with Nintendo. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is probably the best example of a fleshed out Nintendo game. It has everything, they really went to town with that. But sometimes there's just that one niggling thing that they leave out that could have been nice. For example, people were disappointed at the lack of online mode in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Others were simply disappointed that they just opted to use 2 Toads instead of individual characters. ExciteTruck was a great game, but an Online mode would have made it legendary. Then, ExciteBots has the online mode and doesn't come out in Europe at all. They can be baffling sometimes.

I like Miyamoto. He's already reached God status to me, and I thank him for a magical childhood. But, when Nintendo say they make games for everyone, they really should make games for everyone. It's nice making these simply but fun games like WiiSports, but I'd like him to really go to town and make something with the same depth and detail as Brawl. Something where you can really sink your teeth into and enjoy over a longer period of time. I think it's really time that gamers were treated to that "new Nintendo game" that can hold a candle to classics such as the Mario and Zelda series. Where's those type of games for the crowd that do crave them?