N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce."

I remember a Star Trek episode with someone with the philosophy of that. I do kind of agree as, and as much as I feel like a total bastard for saying it, those people very rarely contribute well to society in any form, they're just a drain. Now, I'm not saying we should go on a cull of them, but you have to admit that passing on serious genetic defects could be classed as child abuse.

I feel like a total twat now :/

Anyway, according to that political compass, I should be voting whatever the green bit represents

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce."

I remember a Star Trek episode with someone with the philosophy of that. I do kind of agree as, and as much as I feel like a total bastard for saying it, those people very rarely contribute well to society in any form, they're just a drain. Now, I'm not saying we should go on a cull of them, but you have to admit that passing on serious genetic defects could be classed as child abuse.

The main issue of defining where the line of "serious" is.

True enough. If I were to continue being an ass and continue on this train of thought, I'd say the kind that requires constant medical support such as nursing assistants tending to them constantly

Is there actually a political party that supports it? If so, they aren't exactly vocal, for obvious reasons I guess lol

Anyway, according to that political compass, I should be voting whatever the green bit represents

But that's why we have a society. To benefit people who need it rather than reverting to the animalistic nature of survival of the fittest.

EDIT: Is animalistic a word?

The real standpoint should be to allow genetic manipulation of embryos and screening to completely rule out these serious genetic defects, and to absolutely ignore anyone who has a problem with that. Such as certain religious groups with ridiculously backwards preachings.

The real standpoint should be to allow genetic manipulation of embryos and screening to completely rule out these serious genetic defects, and to absolutely ignore anyone who has a problem with that. Such as certain religious groups with ridiculously backwards preachings.

I agree with this, But I'd say it should be encouraged, not forced. Maybe if you don't get screened you wouldn't be able to get a tax credit, or financial aid for taking care of the child.

I've done The Political Compass before, and I'm pretty much where I was, and where I thought I'd be.

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-3.50&soc=-7.23

I'm basically Green, as regards to the UK's parties, but they're too Left for my liking. I'm still saying Lib Dems.

Edited by The fish

I agree with this, But I'd say it should be encouraged, not forced. Maybe if you don't get screened you wouldn't be able to get a tax credit, or financial aid for taking care of the child.

So then they'd grow up disabled and the parent would have no money to manage their condition. That's totally batshit crazy.

The only way to stamp out most genetic diseases is to pay no attention to anti-embryology hypocrites (since if they had one of these diseases, they'd support this in a heartbeat). An embryo is initially a single cell; it just has the potential to trigger the development of a human. Just like any two people in the entire world have the potential to produce a baby; to hinder incredibly useful, life-saving/changing therapy because of 'potential' is totally fucking nuts.

So then they'd grow up disabled and the parent would have no money to manage their condition. That's totally batshit crazy.

The only way to stamp out most genetic diseases is to pay no attention to anti-embryology hypocrites (since if they had one of these diseases, they'd support this in a heartbeat). An embryo is initially a single cell; it just has the potential to trigger the development of a human. Just like any two people in the entire world have the potential to produce a baby; to hinder incredibly useful, life-saving/changing therapy because of 'potential' is totally fucking nuts.

True, I admit they were very bad examples. But you can't force things like this. You can ignore the people who are against it, but if you force someone to do something, even something that will benefit the country, you reduce people's freedom, which promotes rebellion.

I think I do agree in theory, although there are risks, its worth the research.

Also I think there should be a lot more research in genetic modification for existing cases like... if you could find a "cure" genetically for what I have (psoriatic arthropathy, a immune disease), I reckon millions could be saved in treatments and care.

True, I admit they were very bad examples. But you can't force things like this. You can ignore the people who are against it, but if you force someone to do something, even something that will benefit the country, you reduce people's freedom, which promotes rebellion.

I can't see the nation rebelling about curing life debilitating illnesses. The same reason people didn't rebel on the streets when they forced the smoking ban.

The fact is, a lot of people are idiots, and they shouldn't be allowed a say in things. Some things have to be forced, because there's often always too many people who either object or sit on the fence compared to people with sense.

So, yeah...

I think I do agree in theory, although there are risks, its worth the research.

Also I think there should be a lot more research in genetic modification for existing cases like... if you could find a "cure" genetically for what I have (psoriatic arthropathy, a immune disease), I reckon millions could be saved in treatments and care.

True, but it's one of those things that is infinitely more feasible to cure at the embryo stage; a single cell, rather than target every afflicted cell in an adult body. Plus, if they implemented mandatory embryo screening then in 100 years time there wouldn't be anyone left (in theory) suffering from certain diseases.

Edited by Sheikah

I wanted to hit David Cameron after watching that. What a truly massive knob. YES. OR. NO? Twat.

Oh my God yes. How many times does he utter the words "13 years". Fuck me. The guy is uselsss, he's completely non-committal, barely actually answers any of the questions and resorts to snipes. I just can't fathom how anyone can vote for him. My brain can't comprehend it!

Regardless, no matter what freedom you take away, its still a step towards more and more freedoms being taken away. The more freedoms you take away that people see as acceptable to be taken away, the easier it is to make people accept something being taken away that isn't normally acceptable.

Although, the people who I'm talking about accepting things are for the most part the ones who we can agree are idiots and don't deserve a say in some things. The problem is that as much as people like you and I would like to, or would like others to, we can't just go around controlling these people and still call our countries democracies. Which is the fundamental problem with democracy, idiots who are easily swayed by propaganda one way or the other get a say without any knowledge of what they are saying.

Regardless, no matter what freedom you take away, its still a step towards more and more freedoms being taken away. The more freedoms you take away that people see as acceptable to be taken away, the easier it is to make people accept something being taken away that isn't normally acceptable.

It's nothing like that. What we're talking about is helping future children who currently have no say in whether or not they'd like a serious illness or not (although if they could talk, I'd guess they'd say "No fucking thanks!"). Because they have no voice, someone has to intervene.

This is nothing like taking away freedom. In fact, it's giving freedom. It's giving people that would otherwise perhaps have lives rather confined to healthcare institutions and indoors, and allowing them to enjoy life and the world.

The problem is that as much as people like you and I would like to, or would like others to, we can't just go around controlling these people and still call our countries democracies.

Actually, we can. And that's exactly what we did with the smoking ban. A democracy doesn't mean that we, the public, get to have a say on every law in the country. It basically means we get to choose our party. Chances are, if it was solely down to us we'd keep taxes as low as humanly possible.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!