N-Europe

Avatar. What is so special about it, what isn't. Why did it make $2bil worldwide??

Tissue Town

What has it done? [no spoils]

I will say it's only comparable to Star Wars as far as Cinematic experiences go. This is how people must have felt when they saw Star Wars back then, type feeling.

It won't have the universal appeal on the same scale as Star Wars though. No stand out characters, and the score is kinda disappointing. No Han Solo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've just seen it, why go see it again after a week or something? Maybe I'm missing something.

And I don't want the film to fail. Why would I want that, what would I get out of that? Nothing. I don't care how much a film makes or how many people go see it.

when i was a bit younger, i recomended shrek to some olf my mates, they both bought the video and would watch it at least twice a night, some times up to 4 times. and this lasted for months. i just didnt get it. even a film i love, lets say leon, one of my favorite films of all time, i still cant watch it more then once a year.

Avatar was successful largely because such an absurd amount of money was thrown at it. While the story wasn't great or even remotely original, it's filled with Chekov's guns and emotive points to entice the casual viewer, and the setting is very well developed, in terms of the graphics, the biology, and even the linguistics. Nonetheless, the whole intended "alien" feel of the planet was really a bit fake, with most things just being direct analogues of things on Earth. But this actually caused people to like the film more, rather than less, as they were able to engage with it. Ultimately, it's a very watchable film despite its flaws.

It was really entertaining as a cinematic spectacle. I wouldn't watch it again on DVD. My usually cynical reviewing eyes were numbed for it.

Of course it's a disappointingly predictable/been there seen that film, plot wise, and the dialogue is annoyingly uninteresting. But I enjoyed the experience.

It's not that films don't rely on story, but that you can appreciate a film for other aspects, and that it doesn't fail by default for having a weak plot.

It doesn't fail, but it will never be fantastic without a good story.

Films should be praised for not being like Citizen Kane.
It was shit.

Come now, don't be ridiculous. Or at least elaborate.

it just seems unfair to slam the movie for not being citizen kane when you could see exactly what sort of movie it would be from the trailers.

Very true. But the trailers and teasers and all that shit really made it look like a reinvention of the conceptuality behind Ghost In The Shell, and what we got was OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH PRETTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, THEY'VE REMASTERED DANCES WITH WOLVES!

It's a big epic sci-fi film, and on paper there really isn't any reason why I shouldn't be really excited about it. However, it always looked rather bland to me. What really didn't help was everyone saying that it should be seen in 3D - everything I've seen in 3D looks like an unwatchable blur to me.

Nonetheless, the whole intended "alien" feel of the planet was really a bit fake, with most things just being direct analogues of things on Earth.

Yeah, for some reason, this bothered me a lot.

I mean, we have this excellent setting (which is probably what I enjoyed most about the film), and the exotic alien world...has panthers, rhinos and hyenas with slightly different appearances. Tainting what was otherwise a surprisingly engaging world.

As for the film as a whole, I think it is overrated. A cliché-ridden action film could never be as groundbreaking as they claimed it was, but it was enjoyable and well made. The visuals were pretty incredible, too.

I'd say it was good. 3.5/5 if you will.

By the way, 3D as a whole is incredibly overrated as well, and I hope the fad dies as soon as possible. It's straining on my eyes, wallet and time spent trying to enjoy a movie.

By the way, 3D as a whole is incredibly overrated as well, and I hope the fad dies as soon as possible. It's straining on my eyes, wallet and time spent trying to enjoy a movie.

i liked 3D when i saw it in florida, things like terminator 2 3D and a bugs life 3D actualy worked really well. i think it was the novelty value, and the fact they used blasts of air and moving seats that made it actualy enjoyable, but as far as normal cinema goes. it really didnt add much to it.

i said before that all the effects in avatar seemed to focus around the edge of the screen, which makes sense when you consider ther real world, but in terms of the actual movie, these were items you'd not focus on. i don't think i should have to pay to have a cupboard door appear to come closer to my face, though there were a few moments when items closer to the middle of the screen stood out, and they were much more enjoyable.

3D seems like an anti piracy idea maquerading as a fad, they tried it before and it didnt work, and unless they can integrate it more throughly with the film, i dont see it becoming standard any time soon.

It is flawed in many many ways. :D Poor dialogue, predictable story and the characters lack depth so when the "emotional" scenes kick in "THIS IS OUR LAND" etc. You do not care. I found it all hilarious. BADDEST CAT IN THE SKY. Plus with the narration and me losing track of where I was I thought it was ending several times.

Having said that I got all of that out of my system the first time I watched it and the second time I turned of my brain and actually watched it and it is fun to immerse yourself in the world and it is an enjoyable movie. :grin: ...just not very good. I really do like the soundtrack and the idea of the world that has been created. Also the first time I missed some details which made it better the second time.

However, Unobtainium is snoresfails.

Realistically: 6/10 at best.

My enjoyment increased by one to: 7/10 because I prefered it in 2D, it was more colourful and the 3Dness of it all just hurt my eyes.

I could easily watch it again many times but then I can do that with 27 Dresses or Hannah Montana: The Movie, it doesn't mean they are anything special just fun to stick on when I'm bored/need some uplifting. :)

I get that many old films may be "boring" by today's standards... but Citizen Kane? You actually got bored watching Citizen Kane? Dear god, how did you manage that? :red:

To be honest, I don't really remember. I remember seeing Kane die, this Rosebud crap. Suddenly the press is knocking one out trying to find out who/what Rosebud is [i do know] and just didn't feel gripped by it. I don't recall, who was there to hear him say that?

I do like some old films I've watched, albeit I haven't watched many [something I plan on correcting at some point]. The Maltese Falcon is one of my faves.

I didn't think Avatar was a great movie, but it was entertaining enough. The sort of thing I'll probably buy for less then a fiver in the 4th hand section of Blockbusters a few years from now when I'm heading home alone and I just want something to distract me from the encroaching winter nights.

Edited by gaggle64

To be honest, I don't really remember. I remember seeing Kane die, this Rosebud crap. Suddenly the press is knocking one out trying to find out who/what Rosebud is [i do know] and just didn't feel gripped by it. I don't recall, who was there to hear him say that?

I do like some old films I've watched, albeit I haven't watched many [something I plan on correcting at some point]. The Maltese Falcon is one of my faves.

Maltese Falcon rocks!!!

Anyway, his servants heard him... but it isn't about Rosebud, Rosebud's just an excuse to get into this man's life... a man who had everything and conquered all, and who was irreparably broken and frail within himself. He lived alone and he died alone even if he was always surrounded by a crowd. He sat atop the world, and in the end he had much to show for it, except within himself. He never felt complete for even a second.

It's funny, it's exactly how Orson Welles' life turned out to be... fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony (go Morpheus!).