N-Europe

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Dante

The tears here taste delicious.

It's like really awesome icecream, yet, there is so much of it that I am finally getting sick of it and I just can't consume anymore.

Also I ended up seeing this trailer by accident. This alone got me incredibly hyped up, it looked to me rather different me than the previous traditional Zelda titles, the vibe I got was totally different. The style and focus just seemed to be in a different direction in that short time I oogled at the screen.

I praise Nintendo on trying something different for once, even if it pisses off most fans completely (Oh wait, I should say it in a gentle way...even if it 'worries' fans) I would still not care, they have said they want to try and change it up and make it even more mainstream, hence why the Zelda team have been interested in the Monster Hunter team and how they capture their audience.

How very predictable of you, and the huge chip on your shoulder about Zelda and its fans. Get the **** over it. No one is crying over anything.

Could have fooled me, 2 pages and all I was reading was complaints ('worries') about the colour of a trailer that had very low resolution. I thought no one could beat the timeline arguments but guess I was wrong.

Perhaps Nintendo should step it up a notch and just make a Zelda announcement and say 'guess what, we made a fucking Zelda game it's out right now so stop your bitching and worrying and buy the fucking game'

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close the message board then, better yet all message boards on the internet if you're so against people discussing what looks good and what doesn't. You have this chip on your shoulder again Zelda fanboys, stop wasting everyone's time with your rants, just because you don't agree with their POV.

No new info on Skyward Sword for months, and finally a new trailer gets released. We're going to discuss it, say what we like and also what worries us. Deal with it and if you can't then don't bother reading this DISCUSSION thread.

I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Vaati when seeing that new(?) character with the pale skin and purple colours, right?

...Right?

I didn't think much of it.

Did I see Vaati?

Would be cool, but an evil sorcerer going metrosexual.....:blank:

He actually reminded me of Dimentio from Super Paper Mario.

Oh yeah, I LOVED that bamboo-stick-chopping scene!

You know I was never overly taken by the original visual style of the game, but when you go back and watch the first trailer it really seems beautiful now in comparison. I really hope people are right about the desaturation just being this trailer.

Also, I remember complaining about the HUD early on and people telling me it was confirmed to be temporary. Despite that fact though it's still just as prominent now, if not worse than it was before. It's constantly flashing and shit too when you do stuff, or well commands are appearing and disappearing, very distracting. At this point it seems weird that they'd go THIS long without taking it out, if they were going to.

I'm quite happy with all the gameplay shown but stuff like that is irritating.

The game looks nice visually. The enemies look a bit too goofy for me though. There seem to be a high ratio of goofy enemies in this one, as opposed to the occasional comedy enemy.

I agree that the environment themes seem uninspired. It doesn't help that they didn't even throw in one area that was different, just the usual fire, forest, snow, etc. Doesn't make me very hopeful that there's a new themed area that we've not seen before, cos surely if there was - they'd have showed it off in trailers before now.

I'm surprised that there's not a twist to this Zelda. It's not like Nintendo to not throw some sort of twist into the mix. With WW, it was the graphics that were the big surprise, with TP the whole wolf thing. This one doesn't seem to have anything.

While i'm not too excited by the trailers, it does make me want to play he game to find out exactly what's going on here. Hoping there's more going on than what we're seeing.

@ Gilded Sword comparison: AAAAAHHHHHHH!! That would be amazing!

What would? Not sure I know what your referring to. His cape has the same pattern, expect his cape is blank/yellow not silver/yellow. :wtf:

So far, I'm not hyped at all for this game.

I do, however, have high hopes that this will indeed be an excellent Zelda game.

I'm not trying to defend the Zelda team, but I think it's a little bit early to pass judgment, after all we only have a couple of trailers to pass judgment on.

To me the graphics look identical to Twilight Princess and they just changed the colour tone and made them a bit smoother.

Also Link's sword looks really long lol

Good spot on the Gilded sword Dante. The fairy girl in that original artwork looked like the Master sword and now this guy seems to resemble the Gilded sword.

I wonder if the game's theme will be focused on swords and their personification, with lots of different variations and characters

Would be cool, but an evil sorcerer going metrosexual.....:blank:

Love it.

I think this game might be about the various swords personified, ie. the Spirit of the Master Sword vs the Spirit of the Gilded Sword, and maybe others.

EDIT - I typed this before your post, Ronnie. We're onto something. :)

By the way, I believe that mystery character is who people think it might be...

The Skull Kid. His head, eyes and even the way his arms droop have too many similarities not to be him. That would beg the question: which timeline is this set in?

If I recall correctly, Wind Waker follows the "Adult Link" ending of Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess follow the "Young Link" ending. The Skull Kid in Skyward Sword might be the version Link never made friends with in MM (not that it stopped him being a hindrance in TP.)

Also, as some have pointed out, the logo definitely has wings and talons, so I wouldn't rule out a bird theme or flight. Remember, the wolf mechanic was revealed quite late for Twilight Princess, and there wasn't even any sailing in the first Wind Waker trailer.

Good spot on the Gilded sword Dante. The fairy girl in that original artwork looked like the Master sword and now this guy seems to resemble the Gilded sword.

I wonder if the game's theme will be focused on swords and their personification, with lots of different variations and characters

So what you're saying is that a sword which was optional, only present in one Zelda game (correct me if I'm wrong), and quite 'hard' to get will get one of the spotlights by being personified?:wtf:

Would be awesome if true to see other swords personified, but it seems a little ....

Farfetch%27d.png

So what you're saying is that a sword which was optional, only present in one Zelda game (correct me if I'm wrong), and quite 'hard' to get will get one of the spotlights by being personified?:wtf:

Would be awesome if true to see other swords personified, but it seems a little ....

And was in a parallel universe, plus it wasn't exactly a legendary sword like the Master Sword or even the Four Sword ::shrug: It's an interesting theory though, it could be another sword but I don't think it will be the Gilded Sword, it technically doesn't exist at this point in the timeline.

Edited by Ike
Legendary is a better word for what I mean.

Farfetch%27d.png

Ok it's a big stretch, but we know the Master sword is personified as a living character in the game... the guy in the trailer looks a little like the girl in the artwork from a couple of years ago, but different... and the similiarity to an actual Zelda sword (however obscure) certainly helps the theory.

Having just watched the IGN video, Vaati seems more likely I reckon. Hmmm.....

Edited by Ronnie

Awesome, I love these theories I just read on a Dutch site about this new 'villian':

• Vaati (Minish Cap)
  • A Dark Interloper, because he 'zaps' away in a Zant like fashion (discussed in Twilight Princess)
  • Human form of Oocca, because he possesses an inanimate object (Twilight Princess/Dominion Rod)
  • The Gilded Sword personified (Majora's Mask)

OK so I watched the trailer... and it contained no spoilers anyway really so all is fine.

I have to fall into the unimpressed camp I'm afraid!

Very first scene in the trailer and I couldn't believe how dull and characterless Link appeared! The enemies all seem way OTT (a bit gimmicky if I'm honest), so someone give Link some expression!

This really does feel like a Twilight Princess sequel in almost every sense... and honestly, I think it may well be. Because really why otherwise would they have gone with a Link who looks almost identical? I'm thinking this is the Majora's Mask to TP's Ocarina...

Vanishing Zant like character, leaving 'pixels' behind. I think this race is returning. Also, that's one aweful character design!

The design of many of the enemies like the spiders and the 'Stalfos'.

Links animation and design.

The glowing/electronic vibe to a number of the enemies has a TP Temple of Time feel.

Seems to visit many of the same themed environments, only perhaps more mixed and matched this time.

As not a huge fan of Twilight Princess, I was left underwhelmed.

And I don't really need all these gimmicky Motion Plus aspects... keep lining up the angle of your sword with patterns on enemies/their shields etc...

But hey, lets see where this game goes.

Also, have people noticed the Harp assigned to 'Up D-pad' at 0.24... the instrument of the game?

Edited by Retro_Link

And I don't really need all these Motion Plus aspects.

I think anyone taking this approach is going to get next to NOTHING from this game.

It's like the sole reason they're really making it, they started out wanting to do a true Wii Zelda that made best use of motion, so that's their focus.

People should be very clear on this, this is a game that should exist to make an experience actually "impossible" with regular control. Hence why we get gameplay actually involving directional sword swipes at specific angles, etc. If it doesn't deliver that, then I don't think it'll be delivering much. If that's not what people want, then they should probably already think about giving this a miss.

Honestly I'm pretty sure Nintendo are MASSIVELY focusing on motion plus, to the point where it's going to be the driver of dungeon design, enemy design, item design, etc. There's already visual evidence of this so far in the way of the puzzles, items (the flying claw thing) and enemies (number of arms having to do clearly with timing directional slashes in accordance with their attacks).

The game is going to be so fundamentally based on motion from the ground up that if you don't really care about it, you probably wont be left with much else.

Well that's the thing, the game isn't going halfway with using it. I'm pretty sure virtually EVERY item will use it to some degree and almost every puzzle will have a motion focus.

It's probably going to have 5-10 times the motion focus of TP.

This is not inherently bad, as long as it all works it should be great.