Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Addictions and obsessions

Beast

Animal Collective, Kraftwerk, LCD Soundsystem....

Thinking about how I will spend my first decent paycheck.

Thinking about whether I will get my a level results that I need.

Consuming sugar. Mostly from Coca-cola/Doctor Pepper.

Using Teal loloololololool

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that I have plenty more but one that immediately springs to mind is last year when I was obsessed with Harry Potter. A bit of a cliché but oh well.

From what I can remember, I actually got quite upset a lot of the time because I really wanted to be a wizard xP

Oh yeah, and I have just a teeny tiny obsession with Lady Gaga...

Same happens to me when I read Harry Potter, I can't put the book down. I read three chapters a day or something and then after I end the books, I watch the movies, haha.

Also, Lady Gaga is cool. I didn't really like her before but her songs have actually grown on me. I constantly keep on having songs on my MP4 of hers four weeks before she releases them as singles. The one I have now is So Happy I Could Die....

My obsessions? Love, and finding a girlfriend.

GASP! Gee, golly, are you serious, Danny?! We had no idea!

Other than that I tend to obsess in periods over different universes. Like Harry Potter, Star Wars, The Matrix, etc.

EDIT: Just found out I had already mentioned these very things in this thread when it was originally created. Seems like I haven't changed much the past 9 months. :p

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

When i'm online i'm obsessed with refreshing. I refresh my e-mail inbox, Facebook, this forum, other random pages... checking for responses. It's annoying that i do this, and i know i could spend the time i waste doing this on something more worthwhile, but i continue to do it anyway.

My obsessions? Love, and finding a girlfriend.

GASP! Gee, golly, are you serious, Danny?! We had no idea!

I don't get it. How can "finding a girlfriend" be an obsession? If you go out and purposefully look for one it won't happen - it'll just be one of those things you stumble in to. If you do go looking and you find it, it'll probably be a disappointment.

Don't listen to him Danny, you need to have a sign saying you want a girl desperately and go up to every female in a room telling them you are obsessed with finding a girl.

Haven't you heard the success stories? :p

Oh and don't forget to post video responses of it too, gets you extra attention from females/males on the internet.

Not really addicted to anything nor am I obsessed with anything but a few years back I was very OCD about making sure that the desk I used at school or college was straight in relation to the room's dimensions. Seriously, the teachers used to point it out, asking why I did it and I have no idea why I did other than just wanting things neat. At least I only did that to one desk, maybe two if the one next to it wasn't straight, but then I go and place stuff that I was using on the table perfectly as well, so all the lines were running perpendicular or parallel. ::shrug:

Yeh, glad I stopped that. Although its since been replaced by making sure that any piles of DVDs or books or what have you are perfectly stacked on top of one another to keep straight lines. :bouncy:

I don't get it. How can "finding a girlfriend" be an obsession? If you go out and purposefully look for one it won't happen - it'll just be one of those things you stumble in to. If you do go looking and you find it, it'll probably be a disappointment.

Trust me, I know all this. And more than anything in the world I want to be able to just be cool about it and enjoy it when it happens. But my mind works in twisted ways, and it is currently obsessed with finding a girlfriend. I think about it almost constantly, and the worst part is that it spirals into negative circles of low self-esteem and self-destructive thoughts.

It seems my mind has always made a hobby out of making life just that tad more difficult for me. It's quite annoying, really. ¬_¬

Hmm, sounds pretty familiar. I used to have low self-esteem and depression, and was also longing to find a partner...I used to project very romantic and gentle qualities to the females I was attracted to. It was only later through therapy when I found the reason for all this: my low self-esteem. It was if I was waiting for a caring female that could tell me how good a person I was, since I could not see those qualities myself...just the negativity. With the therapy, I was able to break these habitual patterns of thought and start viewing myself in a more complete manner. Having included my positive traits into this picture as well, the urgent desire for a companion more or less vanished...Yes, I'm still interested in females, but I don't need them to tell me if I have good qualities or not...I already know that I do.

Thus it boils down to this: what is your motivation for getting a girlfriend? If your life is difficult without one, there's probably an underlying cause, like the low self-esteem, which you're trying to band-aid with the girl. Sure you can get a girl now, but the pain will not leave until you treat the cause...And if your self-esteem is dependent on another person, the relationship will be unbalanced as she has to give you energy all the time...and not many people have the strength or will to do this for long...

With low self-esteem, you can contact a psych or a doctor if you want. Don't know if you've seen ones, but they really help...very easy too, just answer what they ask :D In any case, the key is in observing your thought patterns: "What is true, what is not? What kind of statements emerge from my mind?" Writing or speaking with another person really helps here...With low self-esteem, the thoughts mainly deal with one's negative attributes...and often go to the extremes, like "I will NEVER find anyone who likes me." This also means that any positive characteristics go totally unnoticed...in Finnish "self-esteem" is "itsetunto", literally "self-knowledge". In other words, low s-e means you don't know yourself well, or at least the positive parts that is...

Just writing here, might be wrong since I don't know you personally...any thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. :) A lot of it fits me. I'm very much aware of my situation, how my feelings act, etc. I've also talked with people about it, and I am working on dealing with it.

Most of it can be boiled down to low self-esteem, though I don't think it's the reason I want a girlfriend so bad. That's something I've been interested in for a long time, and while my self-esteem has never been sky high in that department, I have been pretty cool and relaxed about it most of the time. It's only as of late that it has become an obsession for me, and since then my self-esteem in that area has taken a heavy toll.

It goes up and down, though, and on days where my self-esteem is high, the feeling of obsession subsides dramatically and is much easier to deal with. Naturally, on days where my self-esteem hits rock bottom, my obsession is much, much harder to deal with.

It should be noted that this current obsession of mine fits into my psychiatric history quite nicely. My brain handles stress through obsessions and thought patterns that are hard to break. In the past I've had periods where my conscience went into overgear and I was constantly worried about doing the "right" thing; periods where I obsessed over the paranormal and would become completely paranoid; periods where I suddenly questioned my religiousness; even periods where my stress manifested itself as a placebo-like migraine headache.

Basically, my current obsession is most likely the next expression of my psychological "issues". Like with all the others, I just have to work with it and try to deal with it. Improving my own self-esteem is the challenge this time around.

Anyway, massive tl;dr. Bottom line: I understand my own situation and know what needs to be done to help it.

Ok, good to hear you're addressing the issue already, Danny. Wish you luck with that...

Exactly.

This reminded me of something. When my depression started, I used to be obsessed with thinking. For 8 years I was more or less constantly analysing something, be it myself or others. I could not stop, because I was afraid of what would happen if I did...would I get anything done anymore, would my life go forward? Therapy did help in turning this into a positive pattern, but it was only when I did intensive yoga that this neurosis really stopped...What a weird moment that was...years of thinking and then suddenly: "you know what, I don't have to think anymore, I can just be". Like extra baggage was thrown off my back...

Thanks, Ville. :) It sounds like our brains can relate somewhat to each other.

I'm addicted to sex...

pretty sure of it.

i ask my girlfriend for a blow job every night (its about a 9% success rate that i'll get one...)

but more serious.... i'm addicted to websites / forums.

like i'll check here multiple times during the day at work, check IGN, Moronail, BBC Sport, Hotmail, Xbox live (Why i dont know)... but i never go online over weekends for some reason.

also addicted to achievements as mentioned in the hows your day thread... i love getting achievements heh.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. :) A lot of it fits me. I'm very much aware of my situation, how my feelings act, etc. I've also talked with people about it, and I am working on dealing with it.

Most of it can be boiled down to low self-esteem, though I don't think it's the reason I want a girlfriend so bad. That's something I've been interested in for a long time, and while my self-esteem has never been sky high in that department, I have been pretty cool and relaxed about it most of the time. It's only as of late that it has become an obsession for me, and since then my self-esteem in that area has taken a heavy toll.

It goes up and down, though, and on days where my self-esteem is high, the feeling of obsession subsides dramatically and is much easier to deal with. Naturally, on days where my self-esteem hits rock bottom, my obsession is much, much harder to deal with.

It should be noted that this current obsession of mine fits into my psychiatric history quite nicely. My brain handles stress through obsessions and thought patterns that are hard to break. In the past I've had periods where my conscience went into overgear and I was constantly worried about doing the "right" thing; periods where I obsessed over the paranormal and would become completely paranoid; periods where I suddenly questioned my religiousness; even periods where my stress manifested itself as a placebo-like migraine headache.

Basically, my current obsession is most likely the next expression of my psychological "issues". Like with all the others, I just have to work with it and try to deal with it. Improving my own self-esteem is the challenge this time around.

Anyway, massive tl;dr. Bottom line: I understand my own situation and know what needs to be done to help it.

so, basically, what you're saying is you need some poon :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!