NEurope

Yep, that phone box quest had me stumped for a while too. If it wasn't for a washed out flower I'd have just let the gremlin get involved. Very sneaky! The mountain was where I was referencing the SNES/NES memorabilia. It just seems to get better when you get to that point. The 2D levels are immense too.

It just feels so fresh and steeped in love. The early 1930/50's music does it for me in the retro levels. It's so true to it's source material and makes me remember a simpler time. Some of the old cartoons are very much of their time too with some great references to the world wars.

Glad it has clicked. It was definitely emotional at the point you mentioned too. Kinda felt for Oswald and Mickey to an extend. Very well done.

FINALLY picked this up from HMV earlier after spending all weekend saying to myself "I want it!" "YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!!" "But I want it!" "But you'll be homeless!"

Will play it soon but I need to do some work first.

I've spent the best part of the day on this and i've made great progress. I've been to a futuristic world, a haunted mansion, a jungle and a world full of pirates. It's been quite the adventure.

I had to come off it because I got stuck on a puzzle which involved rotating some pictures and I just can't figure it out. I thought i'd better have a break and then come back to it with a fresh mind and fresh pair of eyes. :)

I was wondering, the people who are playing this now, how are you playing it? Are you trying to good or bad? Are you using thinner to defeat the enemies or using paint? I've been trying to be the good guy as best as I can thoughout the whole game.

A great example of this would be a boss fight I had in the pirate world ( I won't give the details due to spoilers ). I refused to beat him outright and instead decided to rescue someone first. It was an epic fight with some great music during the battle.

One thing that has hit me is how linear the game is. It's very clever in making you think that it's an open world platformer like say Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie when infact it's not. There are one or two hubs that can be revisited but for the most part once you do a certain level you can't get back to it.

I suppose this is where the replay value is because apparently everything carries over when you start again but if you want to get the most out of it on your first run I suggest you do everything you can before leaving an area.

EDIT: Did the puzzle, well kinda. I found a Gremlin to solve it for me. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I have the urge to first use a bit of paint (to see the world in its colourful way) and then thinner the fuck out of everything:laughing:

After 11 hours the game is now finished.

Although it took me a while to get into the game is pretty good. I won't say it's outstanding as it has a few issues but it's still very enjoyable, until the end that is.

The game sets you up for the final boss battle but then it drags the whole process out to the point of frustration. Each time you think your going to battle the last boss the game throws some other quest at you, it really dragged the game down for me and at points I just wanted the thing to end.

The ending kinda made up for it though. I'm not sure if there are various endings depending on your actions during the game, but the ending I got was very charming and well, very Disney. :D

I did most of the sidequests during the game but eventually I got tired of them. They start of alright but eventually its just fetch quest after fetch quest with little to no variation. I had over 30 Power Sparks ( which opens a secret door ) so I didn't see the need to do anymore.

As I said earlier, overall it's a good game but hardly worth the hype it got during the announcement stages. I totally agree with many of the reviews that said with a little more polish and time in development this could have been something really special.

I see the game failed to make the top 40 in this weeks charts. :hmm:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Yeah, I saw that it didn't chart in the top 40 as well. From some comments I'm seeing elsewhere, while there was hype doing the rounds on some gaming sites, most people didn't know it was out until the reviews started appearing late in the week or until after it was released. ::shrug:

But it's a Disney title, on the Wii, with Mickey and we're approaching Christmas. I reckon this and Sonic Colours will shift a good number of copies as we get closer to that date as parents will probably be holding off of getting games for their kids now until xmas and even older gamers may be holding off until then as well.

Opened my game after getting a break from GT5.

I think it still has a chance. Many Wii games are not hot starters.

I think with a brand like Mickey out just before Christmas, it should do well. Although, I have seen no adverts for it.

I think with a brand like Mickey out just before Christmas, it should do well. Although, I have seen no adverts for it.

Which is why third party games so often fail on the Wii. No advertising :/

I'm getting it for christmas and am really looking forward to it

I've seen adverts for it on TV.

You know, I saw those video interviews from before with the staff of this game looking really passionate about the game's development, like they really wanted to deliver a truly high quality experience that gamers would love.

Now I see the game sitting at 11th on the Wii specific charts under "The X-factor" game and...I die a little inside. :/

It's really aggravating that these games can't sell on Wii. Yes, first week sales, loads of time, blah blah, etc. It's still justifiable in the majority of cases to take a bad start as sadly suggesting a bad run overall due to the past evidence of third party titles.

It's annoying that games like GT5 were guaranteed to sell well from day 1, yet Spector could've gave this game 20 more years of polish and the millions of Wii owners would still completely overlook it due to the ridiculous amount of indifference towards the system.

I just don't know what to make of this game.

Loving the atmosphere, music and characters (which is usually enough for me to enjoy a game) but with Epic Mickey, hmmmm, I'm not sure. Then again, I only just arrived at Mickeyjunk Mountain so should be in for loads of variety I hope.

The fact that Hero-of-Time stated that it is quite linear made me a little sad, especially because it could've been such a brilliant open world.

However, I do see Spector revisiting this 'franchise' in future.

Edited by Fused King

You know, I saw those video interviews from before with the staff of this game looking really passionate about the game's development, like they really wanted to deliver a truly high quality experience that gamers would love.

Now I see the game sitting at 11th on the Wii specific charts under "The X-factor" game and...I die a little inside. :/

It's really aggravating that these games can't sell on Wii. Yes, first week sales, loads of time, blah blah, etc. It's still justifiable in the majority of cases to take a bad start as sadly suggesting a bad run overall due to the past evidence of third party titles.

It's annoying that games like GT5 were guaranteed to sell well from day 1, yet Spector could've gave this game 20 more years of polish and the millions of Wii owners would still completely overlook it due to the ridiculous amount of indifference towards the system.

I think you're getting a little angsty at what is merely a UK-specific chart... If we're going to have a big sales discussion - which we are not - you could always look at the 200,000 pre-orders it got in North America.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive... :weep:

I really can't wait to play it! Warren Spector never made a game I didn't enjoy, so not even if the game received the lowest reviews ever would I be pessimist in the slightest.

Anyway, there's a new trailer/music video available, and it's quite awesome (though apparently, it contains quite a bit of spoilers for the game):

Edited by Funktion

Got my copy at the weekend, and have been trying to only play it in small bursts. I really love the game, and don't want to rush through it all too quickly, I want to make it last for a while, although I did get quite carried away on Sunday night and ended up playing it till 2am.

im going to pick up the collectors edition tomorrow!

what game do you recommend

kirby epic yarn or super paper mario

????

Reviewed on GameFace on Bravo this morning, and I have to say it looks absolutely stunning. I'm really gonna have to get this somehow. I love my platform adventures, and this looks big, beautiful and varied enough to fill the gap after Mario. Gorgeous.

im going to pick up the collectors edition tomorrow!

what game do you recommend

kirby epic yarn or super paper mario

????

Super Paper Mario.

Im sure if you contact DIS they will sort out a replacement.

A soundtrack for Epic Mickey will soon be released across digital platforms.

Disney films have long been famous for their musical scores since the Silly Symphonies series and in his desire to capture the Disney feel Warren Spector ensured Epic Mickey's soundtrack was worthy of its heritage. Mr. Spector hired Jim Dooley, a composer who has worked across a broad range of genres and mediums, and the results have been praised since the game's launch last month.

Disney Interactive Studio has confirmed today that a 20-track soundtrack for the game will be released across digital platforms such as iTunes on December 20th. Exact details on what tracks are to be featured has not been announced but with less than a week until its release we're sure eager fans can wait.

“Jim Dooley perfectly understood the concept of classic Disney sound and was able to compose a slightly off-center feel to match the unique world of Wasteland in Disney Epic MickeyEpic Mickey. The range of emotions in his score is simply stunning and one that fans will enjoy both within the game and on its own.”

- Warren Spector

Stay tuned to N-Europe for our upcoming review of Epic Mickey and our exclusive interview with Jim Dooley.

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14758

Anyone visit the GameSetWatch site? They have a bunch of great articles about roguelikes, I'm sure I've linked to one or two in the Shiren the Wanderer thread in the past. (Hint hint: buy Shiren, play Shiren, love Shiren, discuss Shiren...!) I've just read a piece of theirs on Epic Mickey, exploring how choices you make whilst playing effect the game on the whole. It mentions the odd specific scenario, but nothing spoilerific, imo.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/12/defying_design_epic_mickeys_ep.php#more

Thanks Santa! Got this for Christmas, and have to say it's everything I'd hoped it would be. Terrific fun, and with an exceptional sheen of quality. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

For those of you still on the fence, it's £17.99 on Amazon now. Shouldn't all new releases be this price now? It's a complete jip releasing them at £30 only to drop in two weeks to almost half that leaving punters feeling ripped off. It doesn't bode well for an industry trying to attract new gamers.

Thanks Santa! Got this for Christmas, and have to say it's everything I'd hoped it would be. Terrific fun, and with an exceptional sheen of quality. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Same goes for me. Awesome, awesome game.

I had the misfortune of leaving a few secrets behind, because I was curious as to what was in a certain place and couldn't get out thus having to progress.....

A charming, romantic, Rayman-ish, and funny dialogue holding game so far, but I do think the gameplay is just a tad monotonous.

Funnily enough, what with all the gears and pipes you have to repair, Mickey Mouse gets more plumbing done than Mario; who is a plumber:laughing:

Now Mr. Spector, The most popular videogame character in the world does some plumbing on the side, but that's not what brought him fame.....

I just recall him saying that the most popular cartoon character ought to have his rightful place in videogames. I guess that means minding those pipes, just like how Mario started out.

Edited by Fused King

Now Mr. Spector, The most popular videogame character in the world does some plumbing on the side, but that's not what brought him fame.....

I just recall him saying that the most popular cartoon character ought to have his rightful place in videogames. I guess that means minding those pipes, just like how Mario started out.

I thought Mario started out as a carpenter, but switched trades as there was more money in plumbing.