Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

6-1 today :D

Me and my friends tried to predict the result via the medium of Fifa 10 and got 3-2 as a result :P. I will be amazed if we don't get promoted now. Seriously shocked. Having said that, I don't fancy our chances of staying up much.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not no. But i think with a few new signings we could be mid table. Im begining to think relegation is by far the best thing that could happen. For one this has been the most enjoyable season since the KK days (the first time around) But mostly we have had a good clear out of the dead wood that was holding us back. I read an article the other day that newcastle are going to adopt the arsenal model of getting a lot of young players in. This will hopefully get us away from paying lots of money for players who are past it like we did for a long time. Having this season out could give us a good foundation to build on for the future.

Amen to that. I'm all for entertaining football, but it's the results that matter most. It won't be a few years until we're top six again, and until that time, I hope the Tyneside "faithful" give whoever's in charge enough time to build a good platform for winning matches and staying consistent.

Seriously, the local supporters piss me off - their opinions are so changeable: one week we win and the manager can do no wrong, then the next week we lose and everyone is grumbling into their pints and calling for his head outside the gates of St James'.

Of course, the media doesn't really help much: there's always a good story to be had by stirring up trouble and rabble rousing amongst the Toon Army. Half the time I think the media are into getting a good show more than distinguishing fact from fiction.

Most definitely, he never really "felt" like a Newcastle player - I suppose that much of it had to do with the fact that he spent most of his time with us injured, and also the pressure on him to perform like Shearer did. He was never going to be as prolific as Big Al, they were different players with entirely different abilities and styles, but the expectation was still there.

The main issue is that he repeatedly refused to commit his future to the club, but was still perfectly happy to pick up his hundred thousand every week while watching from the sidelines, that's what really grated on a lot of people, me included.

I agree with the part about the huuuuge expectations. Looking at his stats, he made 29 and 28 league appearances in his last two seasons, which is quite decent. But, his first seasons were 11 and 3...so that's where his injury reputation seems to come from.

I do hate that attitude of modern footballers. I think many of them forget nowadays why they're in the game, and just how lucky they are to be in such a highly paid profession.

The game yesterday against Wolves was tough going. Some of the players looked a bit knackered, and I doubt international duty in midweek helped with that. The starting line-up was a strange one, too. If Berbatov is playing upfront by himself in what looks like a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Nani and Valencia on the left and right, then the midfield needs to be a strong one who can get forward quickly. The midfield were Scholes, Carrick and Gibson. There's hardly any pace between them. Fletcher needs to be playing, imo, as he can bring a bit of pace and bite there.

I thought Berbatov, Valencia and Scholes had good games. We could easily have drawn the game at the end with the Vokes chance (how did he not score that?!) and Diouf could have had a hat-trick...Quite an ugly game, but we powered through it and got something.

The Villan won't be happy. Reading are 2-0 up against them.

He won't be happy. He'll be ecstatic. 3-2 Villa with about 10 minutes of the second half played. Haha. What a turn-around.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk
Automerged Doublepost

So Aston Villa vs Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi Final's only 2 weeks after we face them at Stamford Bridge. It's going to be tough, but it should be a fantastic game.

We did so well to come back from 2 - 0 down today, and so glad that Carew got a hat-trick, richly deserved and - if i'm not mistaken - he's now the top scorer in this seasons FA Cup on 6 goals.

Knew we get Chelsea.

But at least we're off to Wembley, again. :grin:

The Villan won't be happy. Reading are 2-0 up against them.

He won't be happy. He'll be ecstatic. 3-2 Villa with about 10 minutes of the second half played. Haha. What a turn-around.

I was also asleep at the time. :blush:

Amen to that. I'm all for entertaining football, but it's the results that matter most. It won't be a few years until we're top six again, and until that time, I hope the Tyneside "faithful" give whoever's in charge enough time to build a good platform for winning matches and staying consistent.

Seriously, the local supporters piss me off - their opinions are so changeable: one week we win and the manager can do no wrong, then the next week we lose and everyone is grumbling into their pints and calling for his head outside the gates of St James'.

Of course, the media doesn't really help much: there's always a good story to be had by stirring up trouble and rabble rousing amongst the Toon Army. Half the time I think the media are into getting a good show more than distinguishing fact from fiction.

The fans are here own worst enemy. I have no problem with us being mid table for a few years as long as we are building for the future. Gettng thedebt down and just setting the club up for a good future.

I was down at Bradford for the weekend and we checked out the Leeds vs Brentford game. Shit fans Leeds have got, all on their players back after 2 mins, hardly any support at all. Lovely stadium though, doesn't belong in that division.

I had a £1 on 5-0 at 100/1!

Well chuffed with the performance and my superb winnings. :D

Nasri or Bendtner star man for me.

That's.. FANTASTIC :bouncy: I'm not a betting man myself, but I bet you wish you had put an extra few quid on it :heh:

As for Liverpool, where on earth is the desire? I've been hoping Rafa would turn our season around after the amazing finish to last season, but we appear to be a completely different team to the one that came so close to winning the league :hmm:

To be honest, it looks like we need a manager with some drive and passion that will inspire the players.. Rafa's lack of any real emotion isn't helping anyone..

Edited by nekunando

Good job, Ramar. I was shocked at the Arsenal result. Would have loved to have seen that game...seemed like they were all over them.

Tonight was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Defensively we looked great, our tracking back and closing down was the best I've seen it all season and the goals always seemed like they were going to be coming. I thought Park and Valencia were outstanding tonight. Nani had an average first half, but he turned it up in the second and was given farrrr too much room! Can't find a single fault at all.

One thing that this season has highlighted for me is just how good the team are becoming at providing service to the strikers, particularly from the wings. Look at all four goals that Rooney scored against Milan over both legs. The first came from a right wing cross from Valencia, the second was from a lobbed pass (ish) from Fletcher, the third was from a right wing Neville cross, and the last came from a Nani through-ball on the left. The service has been top notch, and it keeps getting better and better. Rooney's movement has been great, as he gets into the box a lot quicker now because he knows the balls will be coming.

It was also pretty emotional seeing Beckham come on. The cheer from the crowd sent shivers down my spine. Wish the guy had never left. :(

Also, very shocked that Madrid are out! Lost 2-1 on aggregate to Lyon. Sheeeeet.

I know, all that money and Madrid again falter in the champions league. Maybe we should consider Lyon contenders.

Lyon always seem to be a dark horse in this competion. There's best chance came agaist Liverpool (I think) a few years ago, when they still had the brilliant Juninho. This year I'm not sure, yes they are good, they could go far but I would worry for them if they lost Lloris, Cris, Toulalan, Pjanic or Lopez. There cover in these areas would not be of the highest standard. Very pleased for them to beat Madrid and of course happy for United to get through. Was a great start to my day.

Beckham's 30yd volley was immense!!

Very dissapointed in Fergie's behaviour... serisouly he needs to get over it!

Yes Utd are in a different era now, a player leaves, they move forward, he wants to focus/talk on the now... I get all that... but there's nothing wrong in welcoming an old friend back to the club, especially one that did so much for you during that partucular time and speaks so highly of you!

Rooney was sublime!

Edited by Retro_Link

I've tried to stick by Rafa this season, but i think it's time he has to go now. Why the hell does he start Lucas, instead of Aquilani??? I'm baffled, £20m down the drain.

We have a uphill task to get that 4th place, and if we don't, there will be teams bidding for Torres, and i'm not sure we could turn them down. We would have to make up for missing out on the CL. Then we would really struggle.

Thank god for that, Bendtner saved our bacon. Poor game from the Arsenal but we got the 3 points we needed first and foremost.

Pretty much sums it up.

Disappointed with the penalty though VoH was clearly offside before the Sol-train mowed him down. Who apart from the penalty and once getting turned inside out by Altidore had a decent game again. Sol has done a whole lot better than I had anticipated.

Jimmy Bullard, what a bloke.

:laughing:

Absolute legend.

Also, thought today's game was a good 'un. Fulham must have been knackered after playing Juventus away the other day. I thought Berbatov truely deserved his goal, and I had a wide smiiiile when it finally happened for him.

On another note, great to see Vidic and Rio in the centre, again. Apart from one moment where Vidic almost let in Zamora, he recovered well and he looks like he's getting back to "normal."

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!