N-Europe

Girl Allergic To 21st Century

Calza

Take this Dan!

Molly Harrad, from Herne Bay, Kent, cannot wear normal shoes, socks or clothing or even come into contact with carpet.

She has to eat a specially selected packed lunch under supervision at school in case she encounters foods which trigger a reaction.

The 10-year-old must keep her hands covered with special cotton gloves at all times, bathes in a special solution to coat her skin and takes several pills to suppress her extreme allergies.

Doctors have been unable to explain why she has such a severe condition but have told her parents that they believe she would not have suffered it had she been born 100 years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5484420/Schoolgirl-allergic-to-21st-Century.html

This has to be one of the most insane cases ever, she can't even touch things like coins or pencils.

So what would you do if had this? Go The Village style and create your own world free of all 21st commodities, develop a time machine? or just wrap your self in bubble wrap.. if your not allergic to that.

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhhhttttt

Never heard of someone being that allergic to anything.

I don't know what i'd do. I'd probably invent something that would allow me to live a normal life, like a time machine. Then i'd go back in time

One of my past schoolfriends from Scotland is allergic to sunlight. Her skin is all blistered :(

I think a bodysuit would be a bit horrible to live in. I mean it can get to nearly 30 degrees in the summer, you would actually be roasted alive. I know from experience ..(severe skin condition).. covering up is horrible.

I'm pretty sure Mcoy is joking, but I would prefer it if we didn't spread ignorant slur across the forum.. Many people have been scared of catching my "dreadful disease". The feeling of isolation is pretty unbearable.

I'm pretty sure Mcoy is joking, but I would prefer it if we didn't spread ignorant slur across the forum.. Many people have been scared of catching my "dreadful disease". The feeling of isolation is pretty unbearable.

Mcoy had better be joking, even if he is though it's not funny and conditions like this shouldn't be made fun of. :(

Having severely sensitive skin must be hard enough to live with as it is without others making things worse, *hugs* we are all human and having allergies or skin conditions doesn't change that; no one should be made to feel bad because of something that's beyond their control, I wish people would be more accepting of others sometimes.

I watched a show once which was about a little girl who was illergic to sunlight, or direct sunlight, and she had a tunnel like play area to go out side with a tinted window.

She had to wear like a dog collar thing, the ones they wear when they go to the vets.

I saw her on This Morning was wierd...

i get exchema, not sure whats setting it off, but having an outbreak on your face isnt nice, its happened to me. twice. first time was mostly my forhead, which i managed to keep mostly hidden by my fringe, doc got me recovered in days, course on anti biotics and some creams. second time was a partial reaction to belach my friend had used to clen the kitchen. that was over half my face. i decided an emergancy apointment at the drs was needed, my right eye was swolen to hell, i could hardly open it. i had to walk through town looking like a freak.

my experiences are short lived and manageable, i cant imagine how much it must suck for that girl. i mean, cleaning products seem to anger my skin, yet my parents wont listen and buy outher products, but coins? keyboards? i cant imagine how that even works. hopefully theres some fabrics she can handle, i know a lot of athletics gear is very breathable, so a suit of it could be reasonably comfortable.

Take this Dan!

I'm not sure, it might fit in with his bullshit view on things...

Dan says:

It's 'oh my gawd guyz faith in humanity fail!'

Darn God for making this girl the way she is.

Doctors have been unable to explain why she has such a severe condition but have told her parents that they believe she would not have suffered it had she been born 100 years ago.

I'm sure she's well relieved.

Mcoy had better be joking, even if he is though it's not funny and conditions like this shouldn't be made fun of. :(

Having severely sensitive skin must be hard enough to live with as it is without others making things worse, *hugs* we are all human and having allergies or skin conditions doesn't change that; no one should be made to feel bad because of something that's beyond their control, I wish people would be more accepting of others sometimes.

I think your over reacting, whether it was a joke or ignorance.

I saw her on This Morning was wierd...

I saw it a few yers ago, its pretty bad =[

I watched a show once which was about a little girl who was illergic to sunlight, or direct sunlight, and she had a tunnel like play area to go out side with a tinted window.

She had to wear like a dog collar thing, the ones they wear when they go to the vets.

The-Others-movie-02.jpg

My favourite movie.

I think your over reacting, whether it was a joke or ignorance.

I don't think so, I just empathise with people who have been wrongly treated by others because of things that are beyond their control; I got teased to a degree when I was at school too, admitedly it was just because my skin was whiter than most peoples, but when you get people routinely calling you 'Casper' :/ these things can get to you in the end and don't do your self confidence - or in my case lack of it - any good...

I know it's not quite the same as having an actual skin condition but I do understand to a degree the feeling of isolation.

well, growing up with skin conditions and having people treat you like a plaige victim isnt nice, especialy at a young age, poor kid is suffering enough without the social outcast thing

Exactly, it's just not needed is it? people should be more accepting of others and not shun them because of something that isn't even their fault.

Mcoy is an idiot who does not often post seriously, however Mcoy will apologize for anyone offended. Mcoy will make a playful joke in most threads however Mcoy can see where he went over the line here in a subject that is more sensitive.

Mcoy would hate to have any kind of allergy like this and considers himself extremely lucky he does not have a condition like that. Mcoy would hate to even feel how plain and dull life is when 75% of things you can't eat/do. Mcoy hopes they can find a cure and if not Mcoy hopes they can make the girls life as happy as possible.

^^^ Mcoy is a good person really I'm sure and didn't mean any harm but it is reassuring that he has apologised for any offence that may have been caused, thank you Mr Mcoy. :)

I also hope that they can find ways to help the girl and others like her because it sounds like a condition that makes day to day living very hard even without worrying about what other people say / do or how they react.

First of all, I can't imagine how can someone be born that way. I mean, allergic to everything? It's like the world rejects your existence, it's horrible.

Second, what makes the experts think she wouldn't have this problem in the past century? Am I missing something?

First of all, I can't imagine how can someone be born that way. I mean, allergic to everything? It's like the world rejects your existence, it's horrible.

Second, what makes the experts think she wouldn't have this problem in the past century? Am I missing something?

I don't quite get that, either. Would the allergy not have existed then, i.e. it is some kind of mutated string? Or would she not have been troubled by it because the stuff that causes the allergic reaction didn't exist back then?

I don't quite get that, either. Would the allergy not have existed then, i.e. it is some kind of mutated string? Or would she not have been troubled by it because the stuff that causes the allergic reaction didn't exist back then?

The latter. The materials used would have been far different to materials nowadays. Such as plastic from keyboards and synthetic materials.

I think it's also due to the fact that everything had been so clean for the past few generations. People don't have the chance to develope a decent immune system due to not being exposed to germs etc and when they do, there's normally some sort of drug that can provide the cure. All this means that the immune system doesn't get any "excercise". Maybe the parents had a weakish immune system that they've passed on to her in a more extreme case.

Mcoy is an idiot who does not often post seriously, however Mcoy will apologize for anyone offended. Mcoy will make a playful joke in most threads however Mcoy can see where he went over the line here in a subject that is more sensitive.

Mcoy would hate to have any kind of allergy like this and considers himself extremely lucky he does not have a condition like that. Mcoy would hate to even feel how plain and dull life is when 75% of things you can't eat/do. Mcoy hopes they can find a cure and if not Mcoy hopes they can make the girls life as happy as possible.

Raining_again realised that Mcoy was making a joke and didn't want to come off as nasty. It's just Raining_again is very touchy about her skin condition! :heh: