NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

That interview has definitely made me feel more positive about this game. Though I'm a big Metroid fan, I'm still a bit worried that it's going in a different direction, but it's good to hear how passionately they feel about still making it feel like a Metroid game. As long as the exploration really is there, I'll be very happy.

This does sound fantastic. I'm going to try to get back into Fusion soon, and I'll definitely be picking up the Prime Trilogy in September. I'm hoping the Wii controls make me like the games a bit more!

Yeah, I feel like playing Fusion now as well.

1UP: I noticed that at the end of the trailer there appeared to be another Samus. What role does she play?

YS: She's not actually a second Samus, but she's a very, very important character within the game.

Well, that answered my question.

I'm not sure I feel like playing fusion, but I might play Super Metroid.

I got stuck on that spider boss that drains half your health if he grabs a hold of you in Fusion, and there's no save spot anywhere near where you fight him either.

I've been put off from playing it since then.

Yeah I got bored of Fusion too. Don't think I'll ever get round to completing it. I didn't like the bright colour palette which contrasted with the style of Super Metroid and I hated all the monologues.

I hope the narrative of Other M won't be another game-breaker for me.

I loved that interview. Flashbacks is what'll happen, then. Awesome way to bring the classic Metroid battles into an action game.

I would love it if they recreated the battle with Dark Samus in the elevator, though it's unlikely. Ridley is all I need, anyway :)

I got stuck on that spider boss that drains half your health if he grabs a hold of you in Fusion, and there's no save spot anywhere near where you fight him either.

I've been put off from playing it since then.

It's actually quite easy when you know the knack. Just roll into a morph ball and head to the extreme side of the screen. Most of the time he won't be able to grab you. Then, when he backs off, stand underneath him and fire loads of missiles upwards.

Mind you, there is a gauntlet of difficult bosses after that, so I recommend finding as many health and missile upgrades as you can, as it's difficult (or perhaps impossible) to get out of that bit after the spider.

This is the thing about Metroid - I embrace the challenge of the handheld 2D games (completed Zero Mission on Hard - woohoo!), but it's just something about Metroid Prime's controls and perspective that I don't like. I'm thrilled that Other M is taking it back to the Japanese style.

Sounds like it really is Metroid brought to 3D again.

I love the Prime games, especially Prime 3, but i have to admit, as much as I appreciate them as games (i mean i COMPLETELY understand why people adore them so much) I don't particularly find the first 2 that interesting, so i'm VERY happy with the way they've taken this. It'll definately get more people into the franchise too, it's looking badass.

I love the Prime games, especially Prime 3, but i have to admit, as much as I appreciate them as games (i mean i COMPLETELY understand why people adore them so much) I don't particularly find the first 2 that interesting, so i'm VERY happy with the way they've taken this. It'll definately get more people into the franchise too, it's looking badass.

Absolutely with you.

I'm SO excited about this.

Ooh, it's in between Super and Fusion. I wonder if we'll find out how Ridely ended up in a freezer (It's odd how he survives all these games, and in the end gets killed by a parasite).

that;s because the 3rd one is easier and has more cutscenes... :D

Metroid prime 1 is the ebst cloesly followed by the other 2..

Metroid prime is essentially a 3d remake of super metroid.. its very similiar in a lot of ways..

@Fusion Boss

I've tried that strategy, but it falls apart as soon as he shoots the fireballs into the corners. Although, you've convinced me to try it again.

Ooh, it's in between Super and Fusion. I wonder if we'll find out how Ridely ended up in a freezer (It's odd how he survives all these games, and in the end gets killed by a parasite).

It was him at the end of Fusion.

This game is made by Nintendo (R&D1 aka SPD1) + Tecmo (Team Ninja) + Mysterious Cinematic Company

134698-speculation.jpg

Metroid prime is essentially a 3d remake of super metroid.. its very similiar in a lot of ways..

In what ways?

^It's similar in that it uses some similar weapons and a similar set up I guess (start on a space station, end up on a planet below) and that you have to earn back a lot of items and fight Ridley.

Other than that though Prime is its own game in every right! The locations aren't very similar other than Magmoor's similarity to Norfair (and even that is only the music really!)

The story is entirely different in presentation and feel though and there are gameplay elements in Prime not in Super and vice versa.

In what ways?

well a lot of the powerups are similar... the xray vision for one.. the hyper beam.. other thing missing from prime is the screw attack...

and has generic levels like super metroid like a fire level, ice level and borrows a hell of a lot of music from super metroid..

you also start in a space station in this game too.

A few other similiarities are there.. it's about as close to super as you're going to get in 3d i think.

^There is no Ice level in Super Metroid.

I guess the Frigate is also quite similar to the Wrecked ship in SM though.

Seriously though there arent that many similarities other than it being the first 3D Metroid game and trying to keep as many elements as it could.

In what ways?

They're both proper open world Metroid games. And they both feel less linear than the others in the series. Even though Metroid Prime gave you a bit more of a goal, in both you were trying to explore to find out what you do next.

oh ya there wasn;t actually was there...must be thinking of zero mission there or something..

^There is no Ice level in Super Metroid.

There was that icy corridor wasn't there? :heh:

Anyway Super Metroid is much more of a remake than Prime is.

There was that icy corridor wasn't there? :heh:

Anyway Super Metroid is much more of a remake than Prime is.

er what do you mean ha?

metroid a remake of the original.. well i agree but in the same way metroid prime is an update too.

My bad. I was thinking of the corridor that links to the entrance to Tourain (room with boss statues). Turns out it's just foggy - not icy.

Metroid Prime has too much of its own identity to be called a remake of Super Metroid.

It is very similar though.

not that I care. I think it's one of the best games of all time.

Read that interview posted by H-o-T and I'm still interested in this Metroid game.

Have I turned the corner?

Metroid Prime has too much of its own identity to be called a remake of Super Metroid.

oh no im not using remake as a bad thing at all.. more of an update.. sharing elements with the best metroid game of all time isn't a bad thing either :)

Read that interview posted by H-o-T and I'm still interested in this Metroid game.

Have I turned the corner?

you're seeing the light!?

what the fuck is going on?