Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to give 9999 starbits to the bank Toad. Pretty annoying, but the best place to get them is the second star of Melty Monster Galaxy.

Thanks, Mike. Did I miss something throughout the game or is that really inconsistent with how the entire game was set up?

Thanks, Mike. Did I miss something throughout the game or is that really inconsistent with how the entire game was set up?

It through me off, because it they made it sound like an optional feature you could use to help the "casuals", but turned out it wasn't really.

Does anyone have a full track list for the soundtrack? It's on two CDs isn't it?

Melty Molten is quite an epic track, stunning stuff. From start to finish is great, but I LOVE the way the track repeats half way through, mixing the drums and the beginning again. Hope I explained that ok lol

I love how they used the Buoy Base track for Space Storm 2 which in itself, is a great level.

Star 242 is a bit of a £$%$

Part 1 isn't hard, just annoying, you have to concentrate fully, which is the last thing you want to do after just failing AGAIN.

Parts 2 and 3 are piss easy. Part 4 is tough at first, the cloud suit helps. 5 is easy. 6, bloody hell, I tried taking my time, killing every hammer brother, might try just long jumping through them all.

Okkk... did it on my first go. Well, my first go of this sitting, 50 lives later :P

An extra little epilogue at the end would have been nice but oh well. Brilliant game. That last platform of dodging, jumping and spinning was unbelievable.

It through me off, because it they made it sound like an optional feature you could use to help the "casuals", but turned out it wasn't really.

Exactly. Everything else is well explained and sign posted then at the end its a complete mystery. ::shrug:

Anyway! After many trials and tribulations with it (namely the fourth segment which I eventually got down to a fine art), I got that 242nd star. I was tempted to take a leap from the final planetoid before collecting the star but I didn't want to die (but didn't know if I would). It took me only about five goes of actually reaching the final section of that level but I was so complacent with the preceding parts its unreal. Like Ronnie said, when you die and restart, its difficult to concentrate through the first bits again.

Did anyone have bother getting the second green star in the second Fluzzard stage? I couldn't hear it at all!

::shrug: I ended up having to leave it and press on and then come back to it when I had 239 stars.

What a game though. Better than Galaxy 1 which is an unbelievable achievement. My only two (or three) gripes with it are:

- Did we need to constantly see that prankster comet screen?

- Accessing star 242

- The rotating clockwork part of the Clockwork Galaxy. For me, Mario seemed to keep sticking on edges which cost me a fair few unnecessary deaths.

I never finished the second 121 stars in Galaxy 1. Maybe I should get to that. :D

I never finished the second 121 stars in Galaxy 1. Maybe I should get to that. :D

That's what I've just done!

It's definitely an extra challenge, as Cosmic Luigi is a much more difficult adversary to race against than Cosmic Mario. On the other hand, I found the Purple Coin challenges much less frustrating. I felt like I had much more control over Luigi's jumps than Mario's.

Still haven't got Star 242 on Galaxy 2 though.

I've started to skip the first green star & gone straight to the second one most of the time, so i can skip the preview shots.

The green stars are a real disappointment so far. Only 1 in 4 are remotely interesting. It's become a chore to finish them lately (doing about 10 a day now...someone pay me!)

At first I found the green stars dull, but I started to like how fast I could get them, sometimes getting three from one galaxy in just a couple of minutes. Just found the last one and while none of them were hard to find, some were damn tricky. Just one star left to go now in the whole game....

Please prepare yourself for a few headaches and prepare to swear a lot, Shorty. It definitely challenges you and it's like all of Galaxy wrapped up in one level (but without any round levels)

Then again, us gamers are so fickle, we complained that Galaxy 1 was too easy so at least Nintendo listened and gave us star 242...

Then again, us gamers are so fickle, we complained that Galaxy 1 was too easy so at least Nintendo listened and gave us star 242...

Maybe it wasn't the same people? I for one never complained Galaxy was too easy. But yeah, you've got a point - hopefully now people will realise that "difficult" does not equal "better".

I had 3 goes at the last star, I might be getting ahead of myself but I don't think it's going to take me that many tries.

I could be wrong though :D will find out today.

..you know, I actually got pretty far on my first try :smile: After that, however, I must have been too confident of finishing quickly as my next 20 or 30 attempts were shambolic :eek:

I went and had a shower after that.. and when I came back, everything was different. I wasn't making silly mistakes and after only a few attempts, it was done :hehe:

If you start to feel frustrated at any time, leave it be for an hour..

Well I got star #240 last night. Had a go at the last galaxy.

In the words of Rex the Dinosaur in Toy Story 2: Oh well, we tried.

Star 241 is easy... did it in 3 tries.

Star 242 on the other hand... well I must unfortunately rescind my claim that I could do it in "a few tries" :heh: Maybe a few dozen...

I certainly wouldn't call 241 easy.com Took me half a dozen times.

My problem now is going back to get the comet coin. I was so set on just getting the star, I left a load of Hammer Bros. undefeated, and just didn't have the guts to go back...

Star 241 is easy... did it in 3 tries.
I did it on my first go. :awesome: Somehow.

Should I continue?
If you're not finding it challenging then yes, you should definitely continue.

As mentioned by pretty much everyone on here, star 242 is immensely challenging and well worth unlocking. ;)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!