N-Europe

Spotify

Beast

While I think Spotify Premium is a fantastic idea, and is a massive bargain and everyone here should get it,..., I'd never get it, because I enjoy buying CDs.

Music is my number one thing in life that brings me happiness. I enjoy having spent £21 on Ys by Joanna Newsom. Because it feels like I've had to invest my resources into obtaining it, and therefore enhances the experience when listening to it.

I spend £X on living. X is a massive number. Irrelevantly big. For my flat, my food, my electricity, my transport, my uni. And in some ways, I prefer being in the state of having £(X - 10), and having a great album that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just worried of buying into Spotify, because you're tying yourself into a high cost throughout your life if you're choosing to pay it over the years. It's a bargain but a tenner a month is nothing to be sniffed at, especially when it doesn't cater for all of your music needs. If you stop, or if Spotify were to self destruct in one form or another, there'd be nothing to show you'd bought any product or service other than your own memories.

So it's far from the perfect solution. Which is why I just milk the free one.

FOR NOW ANYWAY, THE BASTARDS

You can listen to tracks offline.

You can't keep then when you unsubscribe (otherwise that would defeat the point).

No, there's no limit. But you are limited to downloading to 5 devices.

I subscribe. Have done for over a year. Love it. £10 a month for unlimited music? Bargain. Haven't used iTunes since.

If you turn Spotify offline mode then you can carry on listening to music once you stop paying a subscription. The moment you go online again you'll lose it all though.

I pay a tenner a month so I can get Spotify Premium on my phone and on my computer. Use it all the time, so rarely use iTunes these days which is fantastic. Even better, all my local music is integrated with Spotify too so any songs I actually have don't need to be streamed. The only downside from Spotify is that I've stopped obtaining new music which means when I get around to updating the songs on my phone they're all out of date.

So let me get this straight, Spotify Free won't be free anymore soon?

It will be, but your use of it will be limited.

Basically:

* As of May 1st, any user who signed up to the free service on or before November 1st 2010 will be able to play each track for free up to a total of 5 times. Users who signed up after the beginning of November will see these changes applied 6 months after the time they set up their Spotify account.

* Additionally, total listening time for free users will be limited to 10 hours per month after the first 6 months. That’s equivalent to around 200 tracks or 20 albums.

I'm just worried of buying into Spotify, because you're tying yourself into a high cost throughout your life if you're choosing to pay it over the years. It's a bargain but a tenner a month is nothing to be sniffed at, especially when it doesn't cater for all of your music needs. If you stop, or if Spotify were to self destruct in one form or another, there'd be nothing to show you'd bought any product or service other than your own memories.

So it's far from the perfect solution. Which is why I just milk the free one.

FOR NOW ANYWAY, THE BASTARDS

Why I don't subscribe. I'd rather listen to the radio and download stuff then spend £10 a month on an actual product, thanks.

Does anyone know if this will affect those who signed up ages ago? I'm still a free user but not limited to 20 hours, presumably because I signed up many moons ago. So is that still going to be the case?

It's gonna change for everyone as of May 1st. Unless you only signed up recently, then you get it the way it is for 6 months or whatever. In any case, it's going to become limited for everyone I think.

I don't think I could pay £10 per month for this. To me, that's a lot of money. I buy the albums I like, but I also use Spotify to listen to songs I don't feel like buying (like if I only like one song from an album, I'm not gonna buy the entire album).

So yeah, not sure how this is going to affect me yet. I do listen to songs more than 5 times per month, so I'm afraid this is heavily going to affect my music listening habits, booh.

Just downloaded it. It automatically imported all the music i had on my computer into the Spotify library, and there's no mass delete. Bit annoying. I've no interest in listening to my existing music on that program.

Oh well, minor irritation i guess.

Does anyone know if this will affect those who signed up ages ago? I'm still a free user but not limited to 20 hours, presumably because I signed up many moons ago. So is that still going to be the case?

I wondered this myself, I've been with spotify since it took off however long ago it was and wondered if it applies to me too.

It's a shame this is happening, spotify is such a great tool and I completely understand that maybe it's not always the best option for spotify to be giving quite so many people.

Spotify is now 4.99 a month if you don't want it on your phone, that's not bad! But since I've had it free for at least a year, I would like it to continue - greedy me.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.t3.com/news/spotify-ipod-syncing-wireless-iphone-sync-and-mp3-store-revealed?=56037

A pretty major update.

- The Spotify app on Android/iPhone is now available for people on Spotify Free.

- More sync options. It now syncs directly to iPods/iPhones. Android/iPod Touch/iPhone can sync wirelessly (this applies to your own music on your PC). Music obtained through Spotify still can sync over 3G.

- You can now buy directly through Spotify. Lots of tracks will be 50p.

Edit: To clarify: Spotify Free and Unlimited will allow you to play your own music (added from your computer or bought from Spotify) through the mobile app. Only Premium will allow streaming music through the mobile app.

Edited by Cube

I wondered this myself, I've been with spotify since it took off however long ago it was and wondered if it applies to me too.

It read pretty clearly to me as the following.

If you signed up before November 2010, you will be stuck with 10hours/5plays from now on.

If you signed up between November and now, you have six months of unlimited access starting from whenever you signed up before the limits kick in.