• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX
    • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
    • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

IT was very difficult to choose between A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask, but in the end, the crown goes to ALttP.

ALttP was the first Zelda game I played and the reason why I love the series so much. It laid out the foundations for every major Zelda game (by major, I mean those that involve the Zelda, Ganon, the Triforce and Mastersword) and they have regurgitated them ever since. And that's why it will always be revered by myself and many others.

Majora's Mask is clearly the best of the 3D titles. Instead of another adventure with the same weapons at your disposal, items were down played in favour of the masks which offered so many new experiences not possible before. Yes, changing Link from a Hylian into something else is a kop out on paper since it's easier to come up with new ideas when you fundamentally change the main character and his natural attributes. But to successfully integrate that into the game without it feeling like it was shoehorned in there is very difficult - especially for a series as traditional as Zelda. But even more impressive than that was the world that Link found himself in - something no other title in the history of the series has come remotely close to matching. The only thing more inspired than the idea of the 3 Day cycle was the actual implementation of said device.

In some ways, MM reminds me of Super Mario Bros. 2 - before anybody says it's not a proper Mario game, I'm familiar with the back story thank you. SMB2 entry in that series was the point when the developers said, lets just go wild and have some fun with this thing. It had nothing to do with the game before it except it starred the same main characters. It broke down the barrier for what was considered acceptable in a Mario game, reducing the bar to anything fun. I think MM did the same and this is evidenced from the artistically different The Wind Waker, to the unique game play features of the recent handhelds.

Special mention has to go to The Minish Cap - probably my third favourite title. As good as the Oracle games are, TMC beats them and Links Awakening. TMC features the cartoon styling of TWW but in an environment that exploits them to their best (unlike TWW and Phantom Hourglass). It also features the best 2D "dungeon" ever, by some way, in the Wind Palace and the Kin Stone trading was a fun diversion that you could keep dipping into whenever you wanted a break from the main quest.

Ocarina of Time, without doubt!

The greatest, most engaging and emotional, gaming experience I've ever had!

It's a true adventure with fantastic music, story, characters, locations, level design etc... just everything you want in a game; and I didn't want it to end!

that is what Majora's Mask was for me.

I voted Majora's Mask simply because it is better than OoT in terms of gameplay, as well as minor graphical enhancements and the underrated Groundhog Day time system. That said, OoT was the first 3D Zelda and arguably the benchmark for those that followed. It's sort of like the GTA3 debate - GTA3 IMO is the best GTA due to it establishing many of the concepts in the 3D GTA series which have largely remained unchanged throughout several sequels.

The reason why I didn't vote OoT for the same reason is that MM did a hell of a lot more different than the GTA3 sequels for it to gain the right of best Zelda game. It really is a cracking title.

Ocarina all the way!

Playing it feels like reading a good book or watching a good move, you just don't want it to end! The most complete Zelda ever!

Second is Twilight Princess, it felt like a redone version of OoT... followed by Link to the Past which got me into the series. First time I saw those graphics I thought I played a cartoon!

I just did'nt like Majora and can't play Phantom Hourglass all the way through.

Somewhere in between: Windwaker and Minish Cap.

Twilight Princess for me. I obviously loved Ocarina and in a way it was a perfect time for me (I was 18,19); but I just thought it was a bit over rated at the time. I mean I loved it, but the way everyone went on about it; I always thought "Mario 64 is still better" (which I still agree with); but Twilight I thought was amazing, it didn't have quite the acclaim, maybe my expectations were lower and just loved it; thought the story was stronger, the game play was stronger, it looked amazing....I just loved it :)

My order would be this

1. Twilight Princess

2. Link to the Past

3. Majoras Mask

I've played through every single Zelda, even Minish and the Oracle games. All of the bar 2 is amazing!! And I'm not bored of the formula either :D

Very excited and nervous about what they're going to do for Zelda Wii!!!

Twilight Princess for me. I obviously loved Ocarina and in a way it was a perfect time for me (I was 18,19); but I just thought it was a bit over rated at the time. I mean I loved it, but the way everyone went on about it; I always thought "Mario 64 is still better" (which I still agree with); but Twilight I thought was amazing, it didn't have quite the acclaim, maybe my expectations were lower and just loved it; thought the story was stronger, the game play was stronger, it looked amazing....I just loved it :)

My order would be this

1. Twilight Princess

2. Link to the Past

3. Majoras Mask

I've played through every single Zelda, even Minish and the Oracle games. All of the bar 2 is amazing!! And I'm not bored of the formula either :D

Very excited and nervous about what they're going to do for Zelda Wii!!!

What about the CD-i versions? Are those also amazing? You did only say bar 2.:heh:

Why am I the only person to have voted for LA? What's wrong with you people!?

Came second to Majora's Mask for me.

See, this is the problem with these polls. We pick only one. That's why Minish Cap still has 0 votes, despite being one of the best GBA games out there.

hmm its a very good game especially for gameboy but... im going to compare it to other zelda games here.. It kinda of holds your hand a little bit and it's really weird.. the constant references to mario ha... I'm not even sure if i like it or don't..

that and the sheer amount of unavoidable selecting items by presing start is annoying.. something like the power bracelet.. would it have killed them to add this to link in general instead of having to select it.. and that text that comes up when you don't have it selected is fierce annoying..

but it has very good points too.. The jump move is fantastic and should be in all the zelda games since. I love the quick dungeons and the general fastness of the game.. Again this is another game that doesn't take long to get right into the action.

It's very hard to criticize zelda games you just sound picky but when stacked against each other it has to be done. My least favourite on that list I have played is probably phantom hourglass.

ALttP was the first Zelda game I played and the reason why I love the series so much. It laid out the foundations for every major Zelda game (by major, I mean those that involve the Zelda, Ganon, the Triforce and Mastersword) and they have regurgitated them ever since. And that's why it will always be revered by myself and many others.

Amen brother.

One of my fondest gaming memories was defeating Aghanim, thinking 'I've done it! I've completed it, what an epic final battle' etc...

And then the Dark World descended, revealing that I'd barely even scratched the surface. Easily my favourite Zelda moment ever.

I wanted to choose Wind Waker and OoT also. These are my three favourites.

Photo finish between OoT, MM and AlttP. It's hard to pick only one, but if it has to be done, I think OoT deserves the credits.

I believe that people should compile a ranked list of their top 3 favorites. First place gets five points, second gets three, and third gets one.

Then someone should add all the points up after a month and tell us the winners.

I would do it but I'm hardly ever on these forums anymore.

I believe that people should compile a ranked list of their top 3 favorites. First place gets five points, second gets three, and third gets one.

Then someone should add all the points up after a month and tell us the winners.

I would do it but I'm hardly ever on these forums anymore.

Good idea. Or is it possible to start a poll where you can vote for two or three? (I don't know, as I can't start polls.)

Anyway, my Top 3 are:

1. Wind Waker

2. Majora's Mask

3. Ocarina of Time

1.Ocarina of Time (as I mentioned before)

2.Wind Waker (It's close, close, close to taking the No.1 spot)

3.Link's Awakening (So awesome)

The Oracle games, when played together, have my real No.3 spot, but since we're counting single games, LA surpasses any of the lone Oracle games.

A Link To The Past for me.

Obviously Ocarina of Time is a magnificent game and the transition to 3D was flawless, but as others have said ALTTP really set out the standard for later games to follow and as such it holds a special meaning to me. It is actually my favourite game of all time, with Ocarina a close second.

For me its probably

1.Ocarina of Time

2. Majoras Mask

3. A Link to the Past/Twilight Princess.....I can't decide