• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX
    • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
    • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

well...Majora's mask WAS my favourite zelda game but after darksnowman saying he likes it I may have to change my mind and run :D

Just you take your Metroid series and run as fast as you can. :heh:

I may have to use that in my sig

I was gonna say epic pass but thought that sounded a bit on the naff side... haha.

ive put it in now when i can be bothered to finish my sig pic it will be awesome

Zelda Top 3

1 Majora Mask

2 Ocarina of Time

3 Twilight Princess

Hey, this thread revived!

I think I'll update that list...

Phantom Hourglass - 0

Legend of Zelda - 2

Oracle of Ages/Seasons - 2

Link's Awakening - 3

Minish Cap - 5

Twilight Princess - 8.5

A Link to the Past - 11.5

Wind Waker - 14

Ocarina of Time - 26

Majora's Mask - 36

Voters (only Top 3s were counted):

Captain Falcon

Cube

Daft

darksnowman

dazzybee

Eddage

Epic fail

Grazza

Jav_NE

Jonnas

mcj Metroid

Mike

MoogleViper

Pit-Jr

Portlett

Retro_Link

Sheikah

Triple_C

Heh, the only thing that changed was Minish Cap getting one spot higher :p

(Don't tell anybody... but I've never even played Majora's Mask). :heh:

Either way, top 3:

1 - Link To The Past.

2 - Twilight Princess.

3 - Ocarina Of Time.

How the fuck can Wind Waker be ahead of Link To The Past?

Oxi, I thought you were a connoisseur! You owe it to yourself to play Majora's Mask, man. Get to it.

How the fuck can Wind Waker be ahead of Link To The Past?

How is Link to the Past above Minish Cap?

Some Majora Love, eh?

To me, Majora Mask is kind of special, just like The Adventure of Link... There is something to both these games, something quite sinister, but I can't figure it out. They just make me paranoia, I think.

These two games have something most other games don't have. The setting, the complete feeling of the world around (and the endless redoing of certain things, events and parts of the game (?!))

It's just.... the replay value. Perhaps.

While I played other Zelda games till the colors whent grey, I played MM and TAoL only four or five times in total. Some things somehow prevented me from playing it a lot. TAoL was too difficult to blast through quickly, when I tried I always ended up playing the game for months, unlike, for example ALttP, which you could play through in a week or so.

With MM, it's so much work! It was awesome the first play through, the second time I already became fed up with some things like collecting rupees and items to start with, and the -great-idea-but-terribly-boring-way-to-stone-tower- Although the boss was cool, it was the first Zelda with a dump water temple too.

Note that I haven't played all the Zelda games, I'm still cutting bushes for rupees to get:

Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and the Phantom Hourglass (and Spirit Tracks).

Scores for the games I did play:

First number = First glance and playthrough, how cool I thought it was from start

Second number = Direct replay value, right after beating the game for the first time

Third number = (Replay) value after the next Zelda title made it to my console

Fourth number = Total ranking after a long time

LoZ = 8.5 - 8.6 - 9.0 - 8.5

TAoL = 6.0 - 9.5 - 8.0 - 9.2

ALttP = 9.0 - 8.5 - 8.0 - 8.6

LA = 8.0 - 7.0 - 7.5 - 7.2

OoS = 7.8 - 7.5 - 7.6 - 7.0

OoA = 7.8 - 7.5 - 7.6 - 7.0

OoT = 9.2 - 8.8 - 8.8 - 8.8

MM = 9.0 - 7.5 - 8.5 - 8.7

MC = 8.8 - 7.8 - ? - 8.6?

Something like this, but slightly shifts from time to time....

Note that:

The LoZ has a second quest, which explains the high second value.

This tread has a large collection of bottles filled with fairies ;)

1. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WINDWAKER (by a sea mile)

2. The legend of zelda: Twilight Princess

3. The legend of zelda: The minish cap

Not one zelda game was a waste o' time if you'd ask me, but some just had those neat extra's or characters that made it more memorable for me.

That and the story are usually the factors that influence me.

I mean, the vast land of hyrule UNDER WATER and STUCK IN TIME!!!

Genius:D:D:D

1. Majora's Mask (Gotta be in my top 3 games of all time)

2. A Link to the Past

3. Between Wind Waker and Minish Cap and.... Minish Cap gets it. Easily my favourite of the handhelds.

Tbh, unless you've played all the games on that list (I have) you can't really have an opinion on "Best Zelda Game Ever"

And although Majora's Mask is my favourite, it was the one I had the hardest time getting 'into'. I think I started it twice before my 'proper' play through, each time initially not getting past the first dungeon - just totally failing to grasp the intricacies of the whole saving 'resetting time' system. Once you 'get it' though and hunt out all the side quests to earn the masks... it's just astounding. I don't think there's ever been a virtual world that seems more alive than the one in this game. Weirdly, yet refreshingly dark for a Zelda title too. Seeing what people are up to just before the end of the world hits is both magnificent and heartbreaking. This is the one game I can think of when the side quests are probably more rewarding than the main story. If you play it straight through without embarking on any of them then you're really missing the point of this incredible game. One of the few games that I've been inclined to complete 100%.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

Sounds like me there SPAMBOT4000.

I really had a hard time getting into the game, but once you understand how you ought to use the time system, it really is a brilliant game!!!

Still, Windwaker made me want to become a sailor:D

And although Majora's Mask is my favourite, it was the one I had the hardest time getting 'into'. I think I started it twice before my 'proper' play through, each time initially not getting past the first dungeon - just totally failing to grasp the intricacies of the whole saving 'resetting time' system. Once you 'get it' though and hunt out all the side quests to earn the masks... it's just astounding. I don't think there's ever been a virtual world that seems more alive than the one in this game. Weirdly, yet refreshingly dark for a Zelda title too. Seeing what people are up to just before the end of the world hits is both magnificent and heartbreaking. This is the one game I can think of when the side quests are probably more rewarding than the main story. If you play it straight through without embarking on any of them then you're really missing the point of this incredible game. One of the few games that I've been inclined to complete 100%.

If only all spambots posted stuff like that then I wouldn't be so quick to ban them. :bowdown:

I'd love to know where all the love for Minish Cap comes from. I mean, its definitely a great game but when it comes to rating the Zelda series, I wouldn't put the Minish Cap near the top. Unless its just these rose tinted glasses, I think LTTP beats it hands down.

Updated List

Adventure of Link - 0 (Just added this one, as it was missing)

Phantom Hourglass - 1

Legend of Zelda - 2

Oracle of Ages/Seasons - 2

Link's Awakening - 3

Minish Cap - 7

Twilight Princess - 15.5

A Link to the Past - 16.5

Wind Waker - 17

Ocarina of Time - 29

Majora's Mask - 39

Voters (only Top 3s were counted):

Captain Falcon

Cube

Daft

darksnowman

dazzybee

Eddage

Epic fail

Fused King

Grazza

Jav_NE

Jonnas

killer kirby

mcj Metroid

Mike

MoogleViper

Oxigen_Waste

Pit-Jr

Portlett

Retro_Link

Sheikah

SPAMBOT4000

Triple_C

Funny thing, Zelda games. We all think they're awesome, and we're discussing which one is slightly awesomer.

I'm kinda disappointed that Link's Awakening isn't higher. The Oracle games were pretty good, too.

Of course, I also have my pet peeves, and I'm a bit bummed that TP is getting so high.

I also never "got" LttP, but I think that's because I played it a bit late. Whatever charming quirks and qualities it had, either flew right over my head, or annoyed me. Perhaps it is one of those games that don't age well.

I "got" the game as soon as I started playing it, and it never disappointed me. It really is quite a gem (and one of the few Zeldas to put a spin on the classic "dungeons" formula)

I just wish more people would "get" Wind Waker too. People complaining about the triforce gathering in the late game were obviously rushing to its ending, and didn't take their time just exploring the rest of that world.

If you have a Wii, you should download it as soon as possible for the VC. It was the last Zelda I played (even after Phantom Hourglass), so I can vouch for its quality, as it stood the test of time.

As long as you play it with the right mindset, of course. Rushing through the main story isn't the way to go with this game.

Scores for the games I did play:

First number = First glance and playthrough, how cool I thought it was from start

Second number = Direct replay value, right after beating the game for the first time

Third number = (Replay) value after the next Zelda title made it to my console

Fourth number = Total ranking after a long time

LoZ = 8.5 - 8.6 - 9.0 - 8.5

TAoL = 6.0 - 9.5 - 8.0 - 9.2

ALttP = 9.0 - 8.5 - 8.0 - 8.6

LA = 8.0 - 7.0 - 7.5 - 7.2

OoS = 7.8 - 7.5 - 7.6 - 7.0

OoA = 7.8 - 7.5 - 7.6 - 7.0

OoT = 9.2 - 8.8 - 8.8 - 8.8

MM = 9.0 - 7.5 - 8.5 - 8.7

MC = 8.8 - 7.8 - ? - 8.6?

Do you want me to add that 4th column ranking as your Top 3?

I just wish more people would "get" Wind Waker too. People complaining about the triforce gathering in the late game were obviously rushing to its ending, and didn't take their time just exploring the rest of that world.

I do believe Windwaker was the Zelda game I spent the most time on and there's one simple reason for that:

TAKING PICTURES AND TURNING THEM INTO FIGURINES:o:o

Had me playing through the game several times just to get good snaps' of the bosses:grin:

I do believe Windwaker was the Zelda game I spent the most time on and there's one simple reason for that:

Had me playing through the game several times just to get good snaps' of the bosses:grin:

Ahh... That sidequest was awesome. I really wish more games would force you to visit most things in the games like WW and the Metroid Prime series did.

I never had trouble with the bosses, though. Only Helmaroc King and Wizzrobe (the ones that couldn't be revisited)

I loved that sidequest! It took me ages to get them all but felt great finally getting the last one.

1. Ocarina of Time

Regarding OOT I will always remember the day I got the game. At the time I used some games company in London to trade in my Saturn and games for the N64 and games. I wanted to preorder Zelda with the credit that I earned but I was told that due to demand I wouldn't get a copy. I was quite upset but said just send the N64 with the other games and the credit note.

The package arrived on release day of Zelda and me and my two mates were round my house opening it up. As we made our way through the box there it was, the holy grail of gaming, OOT! They must have got in extra stock and made a note of that I was after the game. My reaction was just pure crazy. Anyone seen that N64 kid video on youtube? Yup, I was like that!

Me and my mates were jumping around shouting as if we were 10 years old ( must have been around 16-17 at the time :D) My dad came up stairs to see what was wrong, he thought we were fighting or something. :grin: We quickly set up the machine and set about playing what I still regard as the best game I have ever played.

This will always give me goosebumps everytime I watch it.

2. A Link To The Past

The first Zelda game that I ever played through to the end. I remember me and my brother got a 2nd hand SNES for Christmas one year with loads of games and this gem was one of them.

We used to watch The New Adventures of Superman as a family but I got addicted to playing this and at the time I was stuck in the water temple and wouldn't stop playing until I beat the thing. Now everytime this game and get to that temple I think of my family sitting watching that TV series while I was playing on a little portable tv in my bedroom.

Also, this game gave us many of great Zelda items including the stupidly overlooked Pegasus Boots

PegasusBoots_large.gif

It also gave me one of my favourtie gaming endings ever. I love the main Zelda theme that plays so calmy when the credits finally kick in. Fantastic.

3. Wind Waker

This was the game that set up my rivalry with a good mate of mine ( many a gaming race has been had ). We both bought it at the same time we we set out to beat each other to the end of the game. It was a close race but I managed to win the fight. :D

With that done I felt I didn't see eveything the game had to offer as I had rushed through it so I set about going through the game at a more regular pace. I took in the sights and generally just enjoyed sailing around the place.

As I mentioned earlier I loved the photo sidequest which really lengthens the game and adds a little fun to it.

I think outside of the usual Zelda overworld theme tune this is easily the best overworld tune for me. Its so catch yet epic at the same time.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Another great thing about the game was a couple of the cutscenes. The first was when you discover Hyrule under the sea. *insert singing crab* When I seen the Hero of Time statue I was excited as hell!

Wind%20Waker%20-%20Link%20Statue-468x.jpg

The second was at the end and it was the final blow to Ganon. Now it still amazes me that a game that had this much charm and colour had the balls to deliver such a graphic killer blow, it was awesome!

Ganon5--article_image.jpg

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Of course, I also have my pet peeves, and I'm a bit bummed that TP is getting so high.

What can I say, some people have good taste in great games :D

A lot of people do get it, it just that it feels somewhat...un-complete (Well for me anyway)

So I am the only one who has voted for Phantom Hourglass...*Sigh* you get no love PH :weep:

Edited by killer kirby

Impossible to answer, but I went for OOT anyway.

OOT, MM, WW are stunning games. And AOL is pretty special as well, and Minish Cap as a 2D Zelda is excellent.

I'm surprised as many as 10 voted for TP, but from this poll it looks like it's the least popular 3D Zelda, which isn't a surprise in my opinion.

I'd love to know where all the love for Minish Cap comes from. I mean, its definitely a great game but when it comes to rating the Zelda series, I wouldn't put the Minish Cap near the top. Unless its just these rose tinted glasses, I think LTTP beats it hands down.

Yeah, that's one I didn't really "get" either. It was a decent game, but I think the GBA could have done better, when you consider how good the Metroid games were. The only handheld Zelda I thought was brilliant for the time was Link's Awakening.

I also never "got" LttP, but I think that's because I played it a bit late. Whatever charming quirks and qualities it had, either flew right over my head, or annoyed me. Perhaps it is one of those games that don't age well.

Ooh, that's a taboo, but I agree! I did get it at the time - I loved it - but the Zelda games are about exploration and 3D only improved that. Mario and Metroid on the SNES, though, have aged very well as they're viewed from the side and about jumping. Mind you, I don't think Link's Awakening has aged any better than Link to the Past.

PS - Welcome back Jonnas!

PPS - Great post Hero of Time!

Great post Hero-of-Time but...

This was the game that set up my rivalry with a good mate of mine ( many a gaming race has been had ). We both bought it at the same time we we set out to beat each other to the end of the game. It was a close race but I managed to win the fight. :D

What a waste!! All because of a stupid bet with your mate?? You should have just enjoyed the game at your own pace, first time.

As for Minish Cap, I'll say this: It is a very well-made game. It searched for everything in previous games that would mesh well together, included it all, and then added some more. Honestly, Capcom knows how to make good Zelda games.

And I still have Okami in my "to-play" list. My expectations are high for that one. And Spirit Tracks too, as I've seen nothing from that game thus far.

Ooh, that's a taboo, but I agree! I did get it at the time - I loved it - but the Zelda games are about exploration and 3D only improved that. Mario and Metroid on the SNES, though, have aged very well as they're viewed from the side and about jumping. Mind you, I don't think Link's Awakening has aged any better than Link to the Past.

Yeah, it's a strange thing. I love LA and the Oracles, but LttP just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's because every item/puzzle/dungeon idea has been expanded in other games already, or maybe it's the generic plot, or maybe it's because of that jerky animation Link has. I honestly don't know.

Meanwhile, LA has a simple, yet effective plot, everything is charming and quirky and so different from the other games (It resembles MM in that aspect).

The oracles are like LA, minus the plot, but everything else is expanded (bigger world, new and original items, which bring new puzzle concepts, plus the whole "combine the games" thing, etc.)

It's a shame these handheld gems get so little love.

PS - Welcome back Jonnas!

Was I absent for that long? :heh: I suppose I have less and less time for games nowadays. I still try, though.

A 2D sidescrolling game as the best Zelda? How did that happen. This is not right... It's a cool game I love to play once each year, but NO!!!!!! It is not the best Zelda, it doesn't make sense, now does it?

I think I'm still missing some statistics. And I need to put it in some formula, to calculate its true value. First time playing; double count, some improved? gameplay / controls thingy, creativity and coolness, bonus points for NES and handheld games which have to compete with something they can't. Points deduction for some things, like being made many years later. Some other stuff....

I'll take care of that one of these days.

Right now, the list is incomplete.

And after that, the list is still buggy, as I still haven't played all Zelda titles.