N-Europe

Scariest Life Experiences

ReZourceman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the criteria.

The first (and probably only) time I honestly thought I was going to die was when I was 11, and was on a school trip, were we had to climb some of the most treacherous munros ever.

Maybe not to anyone else, but trying to climb up a near vertical surface a zillion feet up, with only grass tp grab onto, is not fun.

I was in a pretty serious car crash a couple of years ago, the car spun, hit the curb rolled a few times, took out some fencing, hit a tree then ended up on the other side of the road on the drivers side door. That was fucking scary and I actually did think I was gonna die (people have died in lesser accidents).

Thankfully I just walked straight out, only cut my finger and badly bruised my knee.

Other than that nothing really springs to mind.

Probably doesn't count for much but when I was younger my father would always take me and my brother and sister to Blackpool. So one day we were up on Blackpool tower and decided to go up to the higher platforms which don't have railings and I nearly fell off. That scared me shitless. I'm not really scared of heights but that experience has given me anxiety about heights. But it goes away once I'm high up. Rollercoasters have been a big help in sorting that out.

That's probably the only scary life experience I've had. I've had other experiences that have changed my life (breaking a collarbone playing rugby put me off playing it ever again) but none I'd say that would match the one I mentioned.

One thing sticks out in my mind as more scary than life threatening..

Me and my mate were in this old abandoned shed thing, in a field. It was almost pitch black, but light came through cracks in the roof and stuff. It was pretty grotty too. So we climbed up into the rafters, because we were exploring. Then my friend slipped and caught her hood on a bit of wood sticking out - and she was literally hanging from her kneck from the rafters. A cloud of dust appeared from the ceiling, and I screamed. I'll never forget her silhouette hanging in the dark : /

So anyway, I helped her down and she was crying and had friction burn all around her kneck, but she was ok.

scariest experiences are probably; the time i saw aghost, the time i saw a ufo, the time my eye broke, the time i saw teh floor collapse right near me and two mates on the third floor of an abandoned, twice burned-down factory, or the first time i woke up with both my arms having fallen asleep.

hum, had a near death experience sledging, had to abandon sledge when heading for an old lady and a barbed wire fence. big heavy sledge, mostly metal, got her in the shin.

few years later i had anouther sledging accident, heavy sledge was dropped infront of my mates crappy plastic one i was ridng, had to get into a crouch and then jump on impact. flying orward with an exlopshion of plastic shards behind you is awsome, though dosent get you girls.

neither are very scary but prove i have supprisngly good survival instincts.

I can only recall a couple of times I almost drowned:

One time I just strayed a lil' too far into the sea and I would've drowned if my father didn't happen to be close to the area.

The other one was sheer stupidity, and basically taught me to respect the red flag (for a while :heh:). Basically, a few waves were a tad too strong, and I was lying on the sand when they hit me, and I couldn't move as the waves dragged me around the beach senseless. There wasn't much danger, but still, that freaked me out.

One time I just strayed a lil' too far into the sea and I would've drowned if my father didn't happen to be close to the area.

Aha, that reminds me of one of mine, well two... but it was in the same day.

I was in the sea in Cornwall after Life Guard time had ended, my brother was with me at the time, however he had just caught a wave back to shore. Now you do hear the life guards shout throughout the day "Watch out for rips", now as a kid i didn't really know what a rip felt like. So as i saw my brother head towards the shore i decided to try to catch him up by swimming/paddling. After about 20 seconds i realised i wasn't going anywhere no matter how much effort i put in. Then it dawned on me how much of a pickle i was in, about a hundred different situations went though my head as to what could happen, "I'm going to be dragged out to see and die!". Eventually i caught abit of a wave and managed to reach a point where i could touch the ground, ever since then i've been alot more aware of what the sea is doing.

Another scary life experience was also in the sea. Sometimes when you try to catch a big wave (especially when you're a big n00b) you sort of nose dive and flip into the water. Well that is what i did. What happens is you get dragged underwater into the wave and spun around like you're in a washing machine, it's pretty scary the first time you do it. Now as i was spinning my train of throught went something like, "Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck" *Opens eyes* "Oh Fuck, Sky!.... Oh fuck, Breath!!" Twas scary.

Another scary life experience was also in the sea. Sometimes when you try to catch a big wave (especially when you're a big n00b) you sort of nose dive and flip into the water. Well that is what i did. What happens is you get dragged underwater into the wave and spun around like you're in a washing machine, it's pretty scary the first time you do it. Now as i was spinning my train of throught went something like, "Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck" *Opens eyes* "Oh Fuck, Sky!.... Oh fuck, Breath!!" Twas scary.

Those waves are the best :grin:

Reminds me of yet another time I went to the beach. I had gotten used to those waves by now, but still, I didn't expect 2 consecutive "rolling" waves.

After I came rolling from the first one, I felt the currents a bit stronger than usual. As I was lying on the sand, I looked back, and I saw a HUGE* wave about to crash on me. I didn't have time to get up, so I held on to the sand (stupid, I know :heh:).

It had some effect, however, as it allowed me to do something weird: while my upper torso was being hit by the water, my legs were thrown into the air. I stayed in that upside-down position before I let go of the ground.

Nowadays, I laugh about it, but back then I thought I was going to break my neck or something.

*Not really that huge. Just bigger than usual

Probably being hit by a car a few years ago, was a pretty surreal experience. Felt and heard the sound of my skull cracking of the windscreen, kinda just lay on the ground noticing blood pissing down my face but not being able to move, everything just kinda appeared very blurry and I could hear people shouting and running beside me but it felt like slowmotion.

yeah, went body boarding for the first time over summer, caught a wave badly, ended up under water, went to get to the surface but SHOCK HORROR, body board is in the way, and im tied to it! 0.23 seconds of blind panic later, i pushed the board asside and took a huge breath. time under water? 5 seconds. felt like longer, still, not that long, i can hold my breath over 60 seconds if i have to but still.

scariest experiences are probably; the time i saw aghost , the time i saw a ufo, the time my eye broke, the time i saw teh floor collapse right near me and two mates on the third floor of an abandoned, twice burned-down factory, or the first time i woke up with both my arms having fallen asleep.

I remember that story, i saw it some days ago, when i was seeing who was online, and saw a guest watching the "OH MY GOD" topic, i got there and read your story.

I have one question, did you end up opening the door?

I was on the brink of falling off an ice cliff on the franz joseph glacier in new zealand. The Pro climber was like 'you really scared me there love'. I scared myself, eeeek.

If we're talking more spooky type stuff...3 halloweens ago (topical, yay next friday!) me and a few friends from uni went to an abandoned old style cinema. Basically it was shut years ago and hasnt been demolished, just left in the same state. We sneaked in the side entrance and got into the main cinema, which was pitch black. The people organising the night had put ropes to guide you thorugh the dark bits, but it was freaking scary, theyd put stuff hanging down that touched you as you walked by. Got into the lobby bit and theyd put tealights everywhere and were serving cider (awesome). Went through into the other cinema and theyd set up a projector onto the screen and we watched Dawn of the Dead, which given the situation was terrifying. Then went to go to the loos which were pitch black again and theyd put a cardboard cut out of a random person that jumped out at you as you went in, heart attack territory. Omg it was amazing, one of the best halloweens. Probably sounds lame, but it was awesome.

Nope. Not opened the door. It's been plastered, painted and wallpapered over!

How could you resist? Does the curiosity still not bug you(cats aside)? I'd not be able to live without opening the door, but then I think even if I had friends and the whole world around me to do it, I'd still be too scared to do so after such an experience. Is there space behind that door, how's the house laid out etc?

Had a few moments of personal death scary, or have I? I'm not even sure. Don't think I've had much horror film scary, except sleep paralysis/false awakenings. That shit is fucking scary, imagine being asleep and knowing it but totally unable to wake up and locked in nightmares wondering when, if ever, you will wake up or will you be trapped with those demons forever. Whilst being epicly uncool in the moment, it is SUCH an awesome expeirence to have had in retrospect after awakening.

Having my leg sinking in a thick pool of mud, I thought I'd get sucked in quicksand style. Getting caught shoplifting, but technically getting away with it on two counts was relieving.

There was something else as well... but I can't quite remember it, it'll come back I'm sure.

Nope. Not opened the door. It's been plastered, painted and wallpapered over!

Do what Alex Roivas did. Take a pickaxe to it.

my scariest experiences are really more funny than scary.. they SHOULD be kinda scary - but i'm too stupid to fully realize whats going on when i SHOULD be scared so i just have to laugh about it afterwards ^_^

the first time i was rushed to hospital 'cause i'd fallen through a window and guillotined half my forehead off and most of my nose... miraculously all the pieces of my face stayed attached and through those small areas of attached skin, the rest of the pieces came back to life again after surgery!! i'm really lucky 'cause the doctors expected to have to take skin grafts instead.

i have a tenacious forehead ^_^

and now i have a lightning bolt shaped scar on my forehead. no shit!!

the second time i was rushed to hospital was because of a papercut.

ON MY EYEBALL!!

i was helping out at a kid's summercamp and one of them tried, a little TOO enthusiastically, to show me a picture she'd drawn. i taught all the kids in the hall a new 4-letter word THAT day... :hmm:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!