N-Europe

Punch-Out!!

Tellyn

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just nicked the fact sheet from GoNintendo.

KEY INFORMATION

One of the biggest names in boxing returns after a 15-year hiatus. Grab a Wii Remoteâ„¢ controller in one hand and a Nunchukâ„¢ controller in the other and step back into the ring with a modern update of the classic Punch-Out!!

* Little Mac is back! Everyone’s favorite underdog from the 1980s joins the best of the original Punch-Out!! cast in a modern re-imagination of the series. Players will find familiar names like Glass Joe, King Hippo and trainer Doc Louis. These boxers come to life again in cel-shaded 3-D, complete with hilarious fighting animations and back stories that capture all the fun and flair of the original Punch-Out!! games.

* The motion-sensitive controls of the Wii console mean that when players throw punches, Little Mac throws punches as well. Additionally, you can control hooks and jabs by combining motion control with control-stick movement. The motion-sensing Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers turn real-life swings into on-screen punches, so anyone can play. The game can also be played with classic NES-style controls by turning the Wii Remote sideways.

Characters: Little Mac, Glass Joe, King Hippo, Doc Louis, Von Kaiser and other unannounced favorites.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Players can obtain special “Star Punches,†which allow Little Mac to take more Health from his rival in a single punch.

Control options:

* Motion Control (Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers)

Punch-Out!! uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers to simulate throwing punches. Use the Nunchuk to throw a left punch and the Wii Remote to throw a right punch.

* Classic Control (Wii Remote NESâ„¢ style)

Fans of the NES version and core gamers will be excited to see Nintendo has also included the option to play Punch-Out!! using the classic layout from the original NES controller. Use the 1 and 2 buttons along with the cross pad to throw hooks and jabs or to dodge.

I think the motion controls will be great, I like the idea of using the stick to determine exactly what type of punch you will give. Though why they didn't use wiimotionplus is just baffling. Maybe they wanted to retain the digital gameplay of the others. Can't wait for this!

I think the motion controls will be great, I like the idea of using the stick to determine exactly what type of punch you will give. Though why they didn't use wiimotionplus is just baffling. Maybe they wanted to retain the digital gameplay of the others. Can't wait for this!
You'd only be able to use it on the Wiimote hand.

I imagine MotionPlus wasn't included due to the fact that it wouldn't apply to the Nunchuk (am I right in thinking that only the Wii Remote gets the benefits of it? :heh:)

Anyway.. I'm kinda looking forward to this, though I have never played a Punch-Out game before.. but a good boxing game on the Wii could be great :)

I thought I would share this here too. Few days after the Punch-Outs original October announcement, someone put following list of boxers into net, but it was quickly pulled after few hours. Perhaps it is fake, but I don't really see reason why someone would take effort to pull out fake list, and so quickly. But here is the list:

-Aran Ryan

-Bald Bull

-Banana Slamma

-Bear Hugger

-Chris Kizz

-Don Flamenco

-Dragon Chan

-Glass Joe

-Great Tiger

-Heike Kagero

-Kid Quick

-King Hippo

-Masked Muscle

-Mr. Dream

-Mr. Sandman

-Piston Honda

-Piston Hurricane

-Pizza Pasta

-Ryan Fliyd

-Soda Popinski

-Super Macho Man

-Von Kaiser

List has 22 boxers, meaning 6 boxers per tour. It has every boxer from original Punch-Out (sans Tyson, of course), all boxers from arcade games, three boxers that have only appeared on SNES game, and three completely new boxers (which are italicized). Only missing old boxers are Nick Bruiser, Rick Bruiser, Gabby Jay, Narcis Prince, Mad Clown and Quo Harlow.

Names of the new boxers certainly sounds something that could be in Punch-Out game, but the roster is somewhat odd. For example, both Pistons, Pizza Pasta and Aran Ryan all shared nearly same gimmicks in the previous game. But in the other hand, nothing would prevent Nintendo from re-inventing some boxers, especially those who have been only in arcade games. Furthermore the new boxer seen in the box art really feels like someone whose name would be "Banana Slamma". In any case, I would be pretty happy with this lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

Let the hype begin!

Nintendo's confirmed an exact European release date for Punch-Out!!, its Wii remake of its NES and SNES arcade boxing game.

The game will be out on May 22nd, days after its US launch on the 18th. It offers both motion-sensing controls using the remote and nunchuck, and a classic NES-style button scheme.

To herald the release, Nintendo is putting the SNES entry in the series - Super Punch Out! - up for download on the Virtual Console tomorrow, Friday 20th March.

Source:Eurogamer

^ doesn't look like it from the screenshots of the boxart that are now surfacing. Shame.

ANyways, the 22nd of May is a little sooner than I'd have thought. Still, as I'm not a fan of the series or boxing in general, I probably won't be picking it up although my birthday is the week before so I may end up buying it just for something to do.

^ doesn't look like it from the screenshots of the boxart that are now surfacing. Shame.

ANyways, the 22nd of May is a little sooner than I'd have thought. Still, as I'm not a fan of the series or boxing in general, I probably won't be picking it up although my birthday is the week before so I may end up buying it just for something to do.

I think the opposite. From what little we have seen of it, I think they are doing a good job. Nintendo won't let the developers release a stinker (why bring Punch Out!! back after all these years only for it to be cack) and the developers themselves said to IGN that they don't want to be known as the guys who ruined Punch Out!!

It will be great. :heh:

It probably will be. But I'm just really not a fan of the series. Never liked the NES or SNES games so I'm highly doubtful this'll convert me. But who knows. Maybe after playing I'll change my view on it. I'm willing to try it before staying off of the series forever.

I just bought the first Punch-Out!! (NES) from the VC and I was surprised to realize how hard it is, it is really hard. I want to get my hypes up for this game because I don't have any previous experiences of the series, and being almost sure the controls will be great makes me want to get it.

I just bought the first Punch-Out!! (NES) from the VC and I was surprised to realize how hard it is, it is really hard. I want to get my hypes up for this game because I don't have any previous experiences of the series, and being almost sure the controls will be great makes me want to get it.

I haven't played any of the Punch-Out! games either but I will be buying the SNES version tonight off the VC as I always thought it looked great.

Few details from the press release.

Two bits of press release that bring a FLOOD of new info. Read through, and try to contain your excitement…

Category: Boxing

Age rating: 7+

Players: 1-2

Publisher: Nintendo

Release date: 22/05/2009

The legendary Punch-Out!! is back with a vengeance on Wii, but this time it packs an even bigger punch! Featuring all of the well-known characters from Glass Joe to Von Kaiser, superb duck and weave action, and the addition of enhanced functionality for Wii, the game returns for another assault on Europe on 22 May 2009.

After a flawless fight record on the NES and Super NES, Punch-Out!! revives the story of Little Mac as you follow his journey from up-and-coming boxer in the Bronx, NY to undisputed World champion. The game reunites the much-loved mean men of the World Video Boxing Association, who Little Mac must challenge and defeat one-by-one. The truly international line-up of characters includes all the wacky favourites from Von Kaiser, to King Hippo and tireless trainer Doc Louis.

The game brings the tactics and skills of boxing to Wii as you spot weaknesses in your opponent’s armoury – such as changes in their body position – and exploit them with your best upper cuts, hooks and jabs. However, this time the game packs even more power with bold new 3D graphics and the introduction of the motion sensing controls of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to give a more instinctive boxing experience as you weave, bob and duck your way to the top!

Punch-Out!! on Wii offers great new control opportunities, utilising both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to let you mimic the movements of the left and right hands as you let the leather fly. Meanwhile, the “classic†control system, invites you to use the Wii Remote in a sideways position to simulate the original NES controller and gives the real retro fight feel that Punch-Out!! fans love.

Punch-Out!! Will certainly bring the thrills of the big ring to Wii and will give you the chance to experience fight night in the comfort of your own living room. It’s seconds out and time for round one!

——————————

Get your gloves on and return to the ring – Punch-Out!! is making a comeback! Originally a hit on the Nintendo Entertainment System back when boxers still fought for 15 rounds, the newest installment in the series comes out swinging on Wii.

An intuitive control scheme takes you closer to the action in the ring than ever before! Unleash hooks, uppercuts and Star Punches by swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, or flip your controller sideways to enjoy the classic NES control scheme.

As big-hearted Bronx brawler Little Mac, you’ll have to launch a one-man assault on the boxing world as you bid to become undisputed champ of the Minor, Major and World ranking organisations. Along the way you’ll lock horns with the likes of Glass Joe, Don Flamenco and the hard-hitting King Hippo. A total of 13 flamboyant fighters stand in your path, every one with a creative new way of trying to make sure you end up face-down on the canvas.

Thankfully, Little Mac can fight back. Armed with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, punching is a simple case of taking a swing at your opponent whilst holding different combinations of buttons. Soften them up with jabs by pressing up on the Nunchuk Control Stick when you punch, or crash home a super-charged Star Punch by holding the C or A Buttons as you let your hands go.

Of course, if you intend to master the sweet science you’ll have to learn how to hit and not get hit. Punch-Out!! calls on you to keep a close eye on your opponents and learn their attack patterns – hopefully leaving them swiping at fresh air and open to a crashing counter. If it all sounds like a lot to remember when the leather starts flying, you’ll be glad to know the game features a helpful tutorial mode to make sure you get to grips with the basics before you climb through the ropes.

Ultimately, you’ll no doubt want to make sure you’re rightfully recognised as the pound-for-pound king of the ring. Punch-Out!! includes a multiplayer mode that lets you and a friend slug it out to the bitter end. As in the single player mode, you’ll want to land punches at the right moment to build up Star Punch points that translate into almighty haymakers! Landing and dodging blows in Head-to-Head mode also builds up a Giga Mac gauge. Once full, your fighter is ready to inflict some serious damage.

Have you always thought you could have been a contender? Then get ready to rumble in the all-action Punch Out!! for Wii.

* Fight it out in Career and Exhibition modes or challenge a friend in Head-to-Head mode.

* Play using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk for a hard-hitting and immersive experience!

* Go retro by holding the Wii Remote sideways like a NES controller and pounding home punches with a simple press of the 1 and 2 Buttons.

I played the SNES version last night and thought it was alright, nothing special.