N-Europe

Who are you voting for at the next elections?

navarre

Who are you going to vote for?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you going to vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrat
    • British National Party
    • United Kingdom Independence Party
    • Green Party of England and Wales

On the contrary, the thing that bothers me is the inability to vote for a Party as opposed to a leader. Across the pond, you vote for a President, not a Party. The thing I hate about British politics is the total lack of power a Prime Minister actually has. He not only has to consult and gain the support of his Party on most major decisions, he can also be chucked out. By his own party.

Bear that in minds, kids. It's the Party, not the person.

Um, I'm pretty sure people across the pond do vote for a party - they do so by electing a particular person to Congress/Senate from their respective states. If the presidential vote decided how many people in the party got into power then the Democratic party wouldn't currently hold a majority.

Also, you need the Prime Minister to be weak - it's called checks and balances - the power is distributed across numerous structures so that everything is balanced and each area can keep check on the others. This structure is found in American Politics too - the President can veto a bill but I think something like 2/3 of Congress or Senate or whatever can prevent this from happening. I'm not going into specifics here, it's just a few inklings of what I remember!

I put the Greens, however I'm not all too sure if there is one standing where I live. If not them, the Lib Dems. Unless Labour were to get rid of the ID card scheme and the 42 days, I won't vote for them. If they do however, I will vote for them over the Lib Dems.

Conservatives would take my vote, i've always voted that way since Labour started to ruin things (since Iraq)

If I remember rightly, weren't the Conservatives in favour of the invasion of Iraq?

I put the Greens, however I'm not all too sure if there is one standing where I live. If not them, the Lib Dems. Unless Labour were to get rid of the ID card scheme and the 42 days, I won't vote for them. If they do however, I will vote for them over the Lib Dems.

If I remember rightly, weren't the Conservatives in favour of the invasion of Iraq?

Who wasn't in those days? *obama blah blah

Seriously, it was a different party back then, comparing the two is like comparing jam and marmite.

There are way to many elections coming up or pending in the worlds major countries. You would think the stock market would be doing well in that situation.

Anyway, I don't know much about UK politics, but In a Canadian election I would vote for the NDP. So whatever the equivalent is.

Unless Labour were to get rid of the ID card scheme and the 42 days, I won't vote for them.

What exactly do people have against ID cards? It's essentially a second passport. Oh-the-fuck-no!

Probably Labour, as Lib Dems have no chance of getting in, as ever. Unfortunately, I live in a Conservative stronghold, which is a bitch - my vote is effectively worthless.

Labour all the way. They've changed this country so much mostly for the better. Minimum wage anyone? NHS improvements anyone? Economy (up until the stock markets started falling.. not exactly Labour's fault!). People need to really think back to before they were in power to see how shit this countr had become.

I'm confused. There doesn't seem to be an option for 'No one'. Yes, that's right. I shan't be wasting my time voting in the next election or any election for that matter (there's an up-and-coming by election in my town taking place soon because our MP died). I honestly don't believe that any of the political parties are suitable for making the country better than it is and improving on the areas that need to be improved. All I see is a lot of talk and false promises. So yeh, I won't be voting. Always thought about seeing if I could get my name on the ballet paper to see how many people would vote for me. I'm sure it can't be too hard to do :heh:

People died for your vote.

Well I love labour, they really have done a lot for this country but then I take the majority of young voters were born during the Blair years so they don't know what conditions were like back before him.

Either way, I think that a healthy government is a government which is always changing. Labour has been in power now and I believe they are getting a bit lazy and nothing seems to be refreshing anymore. Change would be good for the country.

If conservatives come into power, it would be good for a couple of reasons:

1) It will kick labour back into shape, make them actually work to win the next election which I think they probably will

2) Tory haven't been in power in over a decade, they will want to do their best to win new support for the future and by that they will male positive changes in their first term at least.

So long story short, I'm voting tory and getting all my family to do the same :P

ID cards are bad and a joke and a waste of money and no, I do not want them.

This new pay as your drive thing they were/are gonna do is also very silly and a waste of money, and I do not want it.

Those are my two biggest issues, and also the current economy but that's a bit fucked, would my vote honestly be able to stop either of these things from coming into nationwide effect? If yes, there goes my vote.

Most of the Tories and Labour's policies are identical.

Of course they are, they are both as bad as each other, but when they get office they do their best to justify election. If it were possible to alternate between them each election we'd have the best of both worlds.

What exactly do people have against ID cards? It's essentially a second passport. Oh-the-fuck-no!

Probably Labour, as Lib Dems have no chance of getting in, as ever. Unfortunately, I live in a Conservative stronghold, which is a bitch - my vote is effectively worthless.

I wouldn't mind if they just had your name and address, but I hear (correct me if I'm wrong by all means) they want to keep 40+ pieces of information on these cards. Given their record, do you really think Labour has the capacity to handle all this information with the HUGE care and accuracy it would need? I would think not. For example, what happens if your details happen to get mixed up with someone else's? The potential for abuse and mismanagement of this system is monumental. Even if your not fundamentally against the idea I can't help but think there be a better way of spending near £5bn. More to the point, why should we have them anyway? They are a costly and unnecessary way of monitoring people being introduced by an increasingly authoritarian government.

Probably Conservatives. As the Labour Party has been gradually falling apart for the last 5 or 6 years, the Tory party used the opportunity to unionize.

I agree with what many have suggested so far, though. It's hard to pick a party when both sides are moving closer and closer to the centre, especially considering that Parliament is supposed to be somewhat partisan.