Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The University Thread 08/09

Charlie

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wha? Don't you people have to pay for rent or anything. I think m inus what I have to pay for my flat, I'm left with about £50.

Halls, not flat. Which isn't a monthly or weekly payment either.

baboo it doesn't offend me because I'm in the same boat, but this is alot of money we are talking about which could rub people the wrong way, god knows I'd be the same!

We have no tuition fees in Ireland either, just a registration fee of about €900. However if your parents income combined with your income is less than €100,000(I think) a year you get a grant for that. I'm staying at home for uni so no loan for me.

To be honest, in one sense, I can't wait til Uni is over. When I'm working full time, and actually having some decent money coming in, then I'll be happy. The course I'm on makes it pretty fucking difficult to get jobs alongside it, so earning some additional money whilst you're at uni is difficult. To top it off, paying for your way to get to placements just adds to my misery. :(

My loan will be going on: Rent. Food. Bills. Stuff that I will need for placement, which may include a few placement shirts, maybe a pair of trousers at a push. Umm...pretty much it.

Seriously can't wait til I get my first job as a teacher. At least then I'll have some degree of control over finances.

I'm doing a year long course at the college here, which would normally cost about £900, but since my mum is a single parent, and I'm still technically of school age, I get it paid for by the government! They also gave me another £700 for art supplies and bus fare for the next year!

A Uni course here is double that :heh: for one year..

Suckers. :heh:

Wha? Don't you people have to pay for rent or anything. I think m inus what I have to pay for my flat, I'm left with about £50.

It's only tuition fees which are paid for, we need to pay for accommodation and everything else.

Suckers. :heh:

It's only tuition fees which are paid for, we need to pay for accommodation and everything else.

I could call you some very bad things, but I won't, or at least try not to. :blank: Our accomdation is roughly 4k depending, I could have gone into a studio in halls which was 6k, which is bloody ridiculous.

Oo art course letty! I always wanted to do art, but decided computing was probably better for me, sigh.

My point was, whilst at school teachers talked to you expecting you to go and do A Levels. Then at college one lesson a week to dedicated to university applications. At no stage did any teacher at school say to me, go and get yourself a trade you will be in demand and find it easy to get work. And its only you get out of uni that you realise people are not fighting to recruit you. You are fighting to get a job, and chances are you'll leave uni and your career won't have anything to do with your uni course.

At college someone from manchester uni came down and gave a speech to sell uni to us all and how the student loans are easy to pay back. When in actual face they aren't that easy to pay back. I have ?13,000 and every month ?50 gets added. I can't even afford to pay the interest off. The interest rate is 3.8% which is better than any loan out there but is far from ideal.

I loved Uni and don't regret going I just wish I degree meant more than it actually does and the amount of debt you take on is something people over look too easily.

Sorry for a negative post. :awesome:

Except im far too pretencious to shop at Netto :p

Still. I managed to do a weekly shop for around ?15 last year. Benefits of being a vegetarian. Meat is rediculously expensive.

Wh00p Wh00p +1 for the veggies :D

________

VOLCANO VAPORIZER

Edited by fex

My point was, whilst at school teachers talked to you expecting you to go and do A Levels. Then at college one lesson a week to dedicated to university applications. At no stage did any teacher at school say to me, go and get yourself a trade you will be in demand and find it easy to get work. And its only you get out of uni that you realise people are not fighting to recruit you. You are fighting to get a job, and chances are you'll leave uni and your career won't have anything to do with your uni course.

At college someone from manchester uni came down and gave a speech to sell uni to us all and how the student loans are easy to pay back. When in actual face they aren't that easy to pay back. I have £13,000 and every month £50 gets added. I can't even afford to pay the interest off. The interest rate is 3.8% which is better than any loan out there but is far from ideal.

I know what you mean chicken, originally I wasn't planning to go for the very reasons you just stated, it's like you should go to uni, when in actual fact you could do just as well getting straight into a trade and working from there. I agree not enough people are telling you that really university can be utterly mindblowing when it comes to money and that getting a degree means jack shit if you don't have the experince.

Take my dad for instance, site manager at his current job, he's usually some form of manchester for bovis or antler (who I believe aren't around no more) building companies, recently a company has invested in several university students, hear hear everybody says because finally the students get a chance at a job...

so whats the problem? The problem is the students don't know anything about building, they only know what they've been told over 3 years with no real experince, so now somebody like my dad has to come in and tell them what they should be doing. Rather than them coming straight out of high school and college, jumping into the work at hand and learning from there, it seems abit silly that a few intelligent people straight out of uni wouldn't understand something like that, but it's true.

Luckily the debt most people are in as you said isn't very high interest wise, as my dad recently told me why he was helping me out ''because it's something you'll only do once and I want you to learn, make friends and enjoy it instead of worrying about money''. If anything you should blame the government for wanting to hike the prices up on being there, rather than them not helping out with loans. Not to mention then you'd have to blame the university itself for encouraging the hike in prices! Luckily as me and Dan mentioned there's so many things out there now to help students so the debt isn't as bad as it could be and the most important thing of all, get a job as soon as you land in the place.

Sorry to go off on one, it's been on my mind for quite a number of days now, because I realised how uncertain I used to be about this whole thing.

/rant.

edit: veggies? quorn stuff is well expensive!

Uni is fantasic for teaching you how to survive in the real world, without mummy and daddy providing you with everything.

a degree means jack shit if you don't have the experince.

You hit the nail on the head. :D

I've found its easier to get a job with experience than with a degree. If someone didn't want to go to uni then I'd advise them to just volunteer at a place where they would like to work and grab experience that way, whilst having a job on the side. That way your not getting into masses of debt. And if the company needs to take someone on you've got your foot in the door. If not then when you apply for a job elsewhere, you've got experience of working in a similar environment and a portfolio of work built up.

________

AVANDIA LAWSUIT INFO

Edited by fex

Uni is fantasic for teaching you how to survive in the real world, without mummy and daddy providing you with everything.

You hit the nail on the head. :D

I've found its easier to get a job with experience than with a degree. If someone didn't want to go to uni then I'd advise them to just volunteer at a place where they would like to work and grab experience that way, whilst having a job on the side. That way your not getting into masses of debt. And if the company needs to take someone on you've got your foot in the door. If not then when you apply for a job elsewhere, you've got experience of working in a similar environment and a portfolio of work built up.

Or an apprenticeship. :)

edit: veggies? quorn stuff is well expensive!

Still cheaper than the £4ish you pay for chicken breasts or pork or whatever you people eat :p

And as someone asked yes I will be paying rent.

Aiming for less than £600 p/m which between two of us is £300 and then bills. Last year we averaged £6 each per week on bills, and with not being the energy waster we were living with last year should be a slight easier.

Still cheaper than the £4ish you pay for chicken breasts or pork or whatever you people eat :p

Aiming for less than £600 p/m which between two of us is £300 and then bills. Last year we averaged £6 each per week on bills, and with not being the energy waster we were living with last year should be a slight easier.

We can buy really cheap stuff too, because we dont care whats in it.

We people eat.. well... PEOPLE!

That is a good point actually, but it's still damn expensive considering it's just a copy cat, granted it taste nice..that's one thing I need to find in sheffield a good butchers. I'm too used to mum going to butcher rather than the processed crap we can get.

That is a good point actually, but it's still damn expensive considering it's just a copy cat, granted it taste nice..that's one thing I need to find in sheffield a good butchers. I'm too used to mum going to butcher rather than the processed crap we can get.
Cheaper at markets and stuff, but you dont know where its from.

I've personally never taken out a student loan. I just completed 2 years at college studying architectural technology and luckily, I got my tuition paid by the scottish government. Now I'm off to Uni next year to study for my degree in Psychology and as far as I'm aware at the moment, I'll have to foot the bill for the first year of that degree as my second year at college counts as the first year of a degree course. But it's nothing that'll require me to get a loan.

And because of where the Uni is, I can stay at home although I'll have to be forking out about £50 a week on train fares (like going back to school in edinburgh except not having to get up at some ungodly hour).

But I'll tell you what, I've been trying all summer long to get a job. Any job so I can get some money in place for books, laptop, etc. for Uni and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a job. I've applied to loads of places and got sod all. But it doesn't matter now as I'll have to focus on the education and down the line get a weekend job to pay for my flat next year.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!