N-Europe

School Uniform Policies

Cube

And one for the little boy

Who lives down the lane.

Or girl.

It's stupid. In shopping centres you can't wear a hood up or a hat. Yet they can wear a sack where you can only see their eyes. The can even cover their head on a passport photo. I'm not allowed to have my fringe below my eyebrows yet they can cover their head? It's a fucking joke. It's not even part of their religion anyway, nto that it should matter.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''it is to prepare you for years of wearing suits, get used to it'' It sounds about right to me.

I was told that at school as well. Although i suppose suits look more styish.

It's stupid. In shopping centres you can't wear a hood up or a hat. Yet they can wear a sack where you can only see their eyes. The can even cover their head on a passport photo. I'm not allowed to have my fringe below my eyebrows yet they can cover their head? It's a fucking joke. It's not even part of their religion anyway, not that it should matter.

I agree with all of that.

Guest Jordan

My high school was like... Nazi Germany in terms of uniforms. Even your HAIR had to be within guide lines, i'm not kidding. You couldn't untook your shirt, undo your top button on your shirt, undo your tie, take off your jumper sometimes...

It was a complete joke, it was as if outside of school we still had think about school.

My high school was like... Nazi Germany in terms of uniforms. Even your HAIR had to be within guide lines, i'm not kidding. You couldn't untook your shirt, undo your top button on your shirt, undo your tie, take off your jumper sometimes...

It was a complete joke, it was as if outside of school we still had think about school.

Sounds similar! Even our ties had to be a certain length, skirts an inch above the knee.... and blazers had to be worn at all times, despite the mega hot Septembers we used to get..

This sounds exactly like my school. I had someone have a go at me as my tie was slightly askew and not in the centre of my collar. :shakehead

My primary school was a typical polo shirt / jumper combo, but never shirts/ties/blazers, and I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for hair.

My high school just gave a colour guide line, black/red/white, no logo's. I usually wore a black hoody and black jeans. In fact a couple of years ago my friend from England came up to stay for a week while they were on holiday and we weren't and he was amazed at what I got to wear.

We got a new head teacher who is a complete cunt now though. Like, S5's have to wear white shirts and school ties. But S6 can wear a white or a black shirt, and S1-4 just have the old normal rules. Wtf is that? I get the whole shirt thing, but why is it S6's can wear black ones but not S5? Black ones are so much easier, no worrying about dropping the tiniest amount of something and ruining it completely. And then the rest don't at all? What is the damn point?

I've had it all my school life, and I think it's actually an ok idea. I don't like that they think they can dictate what your hair looks like though. That's always been the one thing my school and I have never seen eye-to-eye with.

I've had it all my school life, and I think it's actually an ok idea. I don't like that they think they can dictate what your hair looks like though. That's always been the one thing my school and I have never seen eye-to-eye with.

I kinda wish I had the whole hair dying thing going on when I was in school, that would have been so much fun.

They didn't let us have anything that was blonde/brown/red/black.

and piercings was a major no-no

I kinda wish I had the whole hair dying thing going on when I was in school, that would have been so much fun.

They didn't let us have anything that was blonde/brown/red/black.

and piercings was a major no-no

My school is most likely fairly relaxed, especially to the 16+ age group. I was asked to cut it once at the start of last year, and I just stalled it for so long, they eventually forgot. They obviously got tired of asking me!

Also, a friend of mine has one of those scaffold things (I think I told you on MSN), and again, at the start of the year, she was told to keep her hair down at all times, but she wore a ponytail most of the year, and no one cared.

It in no way affects my education having crazy hair, and I doubt anyone elses. And if parents/potential parents of the school think it's vulgar or whatever, that's their problem (literally, something must be wrong with them), not mine!

My school is most likely fairly relaxed, especially to the 16+ age group. I was asked to cut it once at the start of last year, and I just stalled it for so long, they eventually forgot. They obviously got tired of asking me!

Also, a friend of mine has one of those scaffold things (I think I told you on MSN), and again, at the start of the year, she was told to keep her hair down at all times, but she wore a ponytail most of the year, and no one cared.

It in no way affects my education having crazy hair, and I doubt anyone elses. And if parents/potential parents of the school think it's vulgar or whatever, that's their problem (literally, something must be wrong with them), not mine!

Well this is true.. TBH most people in my school were too frightened to be "out there", due to the fact they would have been bullied to hell.

Maybe its discouraged due to the fact minors shouldn't really be getting piercings in the first place :heh:

I went to a private school, and there was a time where they tried to implement school uniforms (during my 3rd or 4th grade).

Not only did it look bad, it was pretty useless, since it did not add prestige, nor did we ever have bullying issues there.

I was the only one of my class to not dress that uniform (mainly because it was never seriously enforced). After a while, they gave up on them (due to a change of power in the school), and I'm glad they did.

About the religious thing... Forbidding accessories is a bit extreme, no?

Baa Baaa black ethnic minority sheep, have you any wool?

Yes, sir or madam. Yes, sir or madam. Three bags full.

No, it's got to be...

Baa Baa ethnic minority sheep, have you any material?

Yes sir or madam, yes sir or madam. Three containers full.

Might as well make it completely politically correct, right? :heh:

Political correctness is so stupid... :indeed:

I personally am in favour of the French system - everyone is totally equal, everyone is under the same rules. Secularism for the win!

My school failed to understand the concept of sexual discrimination being illegal. Guys couldn't have long hair, girls couldn't wear trousers.

Political correctness is so stupid... :indeed:

The politically correct term is "culturally sensitive". :indeed:

About the crazy hair: If it was something to do with the lengh of the hair, it could maybe become some sort of fire hazard during Science lessons? Especially if you're using the funky Bunsen Burners.

Remember I had a mate who got told that in school. :D

My hair doesn't hang long, like Haggis, it was just all big and masses of it. That, and I don't do any sciences.

That was one of the reasons I thought they could use against me, but then, when I was using Bunsen burners and has big hair all over the place, I'm cautious enough that I'd shove it out of my eyes and behind my ears and stuff.

About the crazy hair: If it was something to do with the lengh of the hair, it could maybe become some sort of fire hazard during Science lessons? Especially if you're using the funky Bunsen Burners.

Remember I had a mate who got told that in school. :D

If I got told that by my school, I'd actually laugh in their face and point to all the girls.

My school was incredibly snooty. I grew my hai shoulder length at one time and I was told by our pro-feminist Cooking teacher that I looked "Ridiculous" she told the deputy head who told me plain and simple: cut it off. I pointed to a bunch of girls with almosty crew-cut and he simply said: Cut it off.

In hindsght, I could have had a major payday from the courts, it actually was quite hurtful the way the teachers actively excluded me from active lesson participation - no calling on me or making eye contact. But rules are rules, and if you don't like them here, go somewhere else.

School uniforms are meant to prevent bullying. But bullies will just find something else to pick at. Of course, it's one less thing to be bullied about ...

One thing I never understood about school uniforms: Why do they have to be so excruciatingly ugly? I've seen school uniforms bordering on the ridiculous. Jedi robes would actually look more neutral.

I never understood the strictness, either. If the uniforms are there to prevent bullying, it wouldn't matter how the uniform's worn, would it? Whether you button the top button or not, everyone's got the same options. Also, would it hurt to get a more weather-friendly uniform that changes to match the seasons?

That being said, I hate it when people gets unfair privileges for unfair reasons, but I'm too tired to go into detail about it right now.

Bullying, is the most obvious one. Bullies have enough to pick on people about without picking on their appearance as well as.

:blank:

Absolutely. Just look at mufty days (non-uniform) and you can see the mayhem it causes. All the kids who arn't as well off are exposed as they have to wear their cheap hand-me-downs or whatever they can, and they get picked on. It's awful.

School uniforms are necessary. As for the restrictions, well, i thought that was school-dependent. My school wasn't too bad, at least non of the girls really complained about the jewellery restrictions or skirt height so i dont think it was that bad. It doesn't really effect boys so i didn't notice.

My hair doesn't hang long, like Haggis, it was just all big and masses of it. That, and I don't do any sciences.

That was one of the reasons I thought they could use against me, but then, when I was using Bunsen burners and has big hair all over the place, I'm cautious enough that I'd shove it out of my eyes and behind my ears and stuff.

When I had long hair, they never once told me that. I didn't have to put it behind my ears whilst using bunsen burners because I, well, have the sense not to shove my head in the flame like most people do.

I do not understand why some people's schools refused to let boys have long hair, I think it's complete bollocks.

I don't get what it is that makes some people hate it so much. My friend's mum absolutely hates me just because I have long-ish hair (not even hanging down long, just a big fringe kinda thing. Like Jonny Greenwood's hair). He grew his hair to the same length as me and she basically forced him to shave it.

I think the whole no long hair on guys rule is bollocks.

Back in the day, most of the males in my year had long hair, because it was like, the cool thing to do! It was like, whoever had the longest hair was the alpha male. Not to mention there was a business studies teacher with shoulder length hair!