NEurope

is this an Christmas 09 release?

Probably. I think they said a while back that it was coming out this year.

Looks like pre-rendered to me too.

Noticed how he could not fire the gun "gangsta-style" despite the man having the wiimote turned on it's side? That was a major feature in RS1.:rolleyes:

Yeah, and the guy was actually really playing the game...

Don't think you can say it's pre-rendered or not judging from what you see in that vid. Aside from saying it looks great.

Yeah, and the guy was actually really playing the game...

Don't think you can say it's pre-rendered or not judging from what you see in that vid. Aside from saying it looks great.

There are some things that look like real cell shading rather than fake cell shading that is possible through open GL and Direct X. You would only be able to do real cell shading with pre-rendering. Although, I'm not 100%. It just looked too good to be rasterized with the Wii.

What say you we asks pedro? :) Ohhh pedroooooooo, yoo-hooooo!

What say you we asks pedro? :) Ohhh pedroooooooo, yoo-hooooo!

Sup? Shit be true, yo.

who called? :p

(let's see what's going on...)

Well... it's ingame cellshading rather than cgi, could be running on a PC workstation but it's clearly running on a game engine (and a game engine with assets and tech meant for Wii standards). The effects are nothing that can't be done ingame on the Wii (the resolution seems to be superior though), albeit the blur that is going on there is more intensive than usual and the self shadowing is nice, but nothing that the Wii can't pull (shadow of the colossus on PS2 even applied it with a extra blur passage and in open areas, which this isn't doing).

Well, you guys saw the video, it was clearly a ingame scene with jaggies, albeit rendered in a superior resolution to that of the Wii:

10dtz74.jpg

Notice the zone where the foot is, jaggies! and the level geometry and enemy geometry is nothing to write home about; if it was CGI they could apply nurbs, not to mention if it was real cgi (raycasting) no way it would have jaggies going on.

Plus, if they didn't have that running ingame why would they bother to show two different instances of the same scene with different weapons?

Nintendo Power versus trailer: (not the same)

55251520090430_223331_2_big.jpg

2psrl87.jpg

;)

Edited by pedrocasilva

who called? :p

It was I, Leclerc!

Thanks for clearing that one up. Had this gut feeling that it could be ingame. You reckon it'll look a lot worse if it's not upscaled?

And so that implies that those ragdoll physics are ingame? Sweet.

Btw, your name Pedro too Shino? Kinda figures, although I didn't think it was that common a name in Portugal (hispanic countries, yes, Portugal & Brazil, no).

Thanks for clearing that one up. Had this gut feeling that it could be ingame.
I think what's confusing people is the fact the game has Bloom/HDR in adiction to cel shading and they usually see the effect going on in a world composed of only primary colors down to textures and lightning (wind waker'ish) rendering any color gradient subtle at best in a attempt to make the game look like a 2D painting/cartoon of sorts, which this does not, or not in the same vein.

We could try adding bloom to the wind waker engine and character modeling like this to easily achieve the look.

Might I add that samus in Metroid Prime 3 is actually cel shaded :p no one notices that at first.

You reckon it'll look a lot worse if it's not upscaled?
Time will tell, will depend on output resolution and rendering engine... just like red steel 1 could look pretty alright when bullshotted but looked jaggy and flickery as hell on the actual hardware. but that was that lousy UE2.5 unoptimized build who basically thought the wii was a PS2/directX6/7 system or so. No way they could pull this is there, let alone the 60 frames that Nintendo Power claimed.

I think it'll look pretty good although I don't know just how good. the style borrows itself to come out strong and the motion blur seems constant... that might be a nice way to fake AA, question is if it is applied only to enemies or apply's to the camera/scenario turning. It's looking good nonetheless.

Btw, your name Pedro too Shino? Kinda figures, although I didn't think it was that common a name in Portugal (hispanic countries, yes, Portugal & Brazil, no).
Pretty common in Portuguese speaking countries as well :) Edited by pedrocasilva

Really not bothered about the graphics.

If this game delivers on what this trailer promised, before we knew the limitations of the Wii Remote, then I'll be a happy man

Edited by Dog-amoto
Automerged Doublepost

I must admit the new trailer looks amazing, I'm still very displeased at the lack of multiplayer.

Really not bothered about the graphics.

If this game delivers on what this trailer promised, before we knew the limitations of the Wii Remote, then I'll be a happy man

To me, that doesn't seem too far from what we actually got in the game. The only thing that failed to live up was the sword fighting, imo. The game itself needed a while longer for that extra polish, and to tighten up the controls.

To me, that doesn't seem too far from what we actually got in the game. The only thing that failed to live up was the sword fighting, imo. The game itself needed a while longer for that extra polish, and to tighten up the controls.

To be fair though it didn't just not live up to it, it was a completely different type of control it was a joke compared to what was hinted at in trailers.

To go to a few sets of gestures which were the same no matter what you did from full control was very dissapointing and the gun controls were slow and sluggish but to be fair not a disaster.

Is this red steel 2 on rails btw or do we not know that.

Course it's on-rails! ;)

Oh good god no...

- not open world

- not a linear game, multiple paths to take

- several hub-worlds

It all adds up! Sound the doomsday bell!

I wouldn't be surprised. Just annoyed. Although, on rails, in the style of Killer 7, I could live with.

Looks on-rails to me..but i dont see the problem if your involved in the gameplay in more ways...like the sword fighting etc..which hopefully now has depth.

It would be HILARIOUS if it was on-rails...I don't think the internet could cope...

Rails shooters tend to not have a hudgun. The fact that there is one is a good sign. But TBH, Red Steel is one game that could really work well as a rails shooter.

To be fair though it didn't just not live up to it, it was a completely different type of control it was a joke compared to what was hinted at in trailers.

Not to mention "we considered 1:1, but thought against it because you'd have to move as quick as a ninja", not "we wouldn't have the first clue about implementing more advanced motions".

I'd enjoy a very cinematic on-rails experience in this art style. If every battle was as slick as that video it could be awesome. Mind you, it would just become punch out!! with swords and guns lol.

Trailers looks good but this is Ubisoft. Style over gameplay :p

To go to a few sets of gestures which were the same no matter what you did from full control was very dissapointing and the gun controls were slow and sluggish but to be fair not a disaster.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant when I said that the sword controls just didn't live up. It didn't actually...feel like a sword battle anyway. More of a training exercise to use the Wii-remote. But, they've gone a different route with this, which means they must feel a lot more confident with the sword controls this time around.

Trailers looks good but this is Ubisoft. Style over gameplay :p

That also sums you up in a nut-shell, right Mr. Choze?

^ lol. It'd explain his fascination with Killzone 2. Oh no he didn't :heh:

Really, I do hope it's not an on rails shooter. Even if they make it cinematic or similar to Killer 7 I just wouldn't want it. Just give us it in a similar vein to the first and I think that's what they are getting at by the non-open world and a more linear progression. At least I hope so.

^ lol. It'd explain his fascination with Killzone 2. Oh no he didn't :heh:

Aww, we're mean, aren't we? :heh:

Hmm, nothing to me so far screams that it's on-rails, so for now I'll just assume it'll be like the first game, but with a different art-style.

I've got a really good feeling about this game:

Cel-shading - great

Less gore - great

MotionPlus-only - great

It just seems to me they're really getting a handle on what sort of game should be made for the Wii - not too violent but not too obscure either. It could (and should) be the first traditional game to really prove motion control enhances the experience.