Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Music industry to set 'licence fee', set to revolutionise illegal file-sharing

The fish

EDIT: Regarding the whole ports issue. Most computers/routers can output to over 9000 ports (yes, i said over 9000). What are they going to do, limit every port apart from essentials? Thats just madness.

Every impulse in my body is telling me to go for it but..I just can't bring myself to.

Fine, if you won't, I will.

this-is-sparta.jpg

I forgot about iTunes. I don't think this'll pass now, iTunes is already too mainstream, they sell gift cards in supermarkets and it'd completely render the online store useless for Britain.

It seems like another whim that some bright spark wanted to implement but really didn't think through.

It's a shame, I wouldn't mind paying £5/10 extra to be able to download nearly everything, even though I rarely grab songs (I shameful download off limewire, although I've not used it in months...-.-).

It seems like another idea that will soon disappear and hopefully I am not one of those 12k people to have a letter on my door :P

I too pillage from Limewire. Not proud of it, so I would definately pay £30 if it means I don't have to download iTunes.

The current problem is that many people who use mass-sharing sites (such as the aforementioned one) don't realise that it is illegal. It would be a good idea to write a letter to them informing them of this, rather than banging a fine straight through their door, as most of us have come to suspect from the present government.

The current problem is that many people who use mass-sharing sites (such as the aforementioned one) don't realise that it is illegal.

Are you kidding me? Is there ANYONE out there that thinks downloading content you're supposed to pay for is legal? Jesus christ

Are you kidding me? Is there ANYONE out there that thinks downloading content you're supposed to pay for is legal? Jesus christ, society reaches ever higher in the retard stakes

So many people do it now, and hardly anyone ever gets into trouble because of it so people just completely forget it's illegal. Don't tell me everytime you download a song illegally you think "Oh shit, I might get caught".

So many people do it now, and hardly anyone ever gets into trouble because of it so people just completely forget it's illegal. Don't tell me everytime you download a song illegally you think "Oh shit, I might get caught".

Committing a crime doesn't necessarily make you feel nervous, music downloading is one of those things, but I never at any point thought "this is legal", similarly with going over the speed limit, people do it all the goddamn time, but they do is casually, I look at it in the same way in peoples' minds

Are you kidding me? Is there ANYONE out there that thinks downloading content you're supposed to pay for is legal? Jesus christ

Well my dad started whining at me about torrenting and how we were gonna get one of those letters.

At the same time, he had Limewire open and he was downloading music.

The dipshit.

What I've always wondered is that if you listen to a track (in its entirety) online, as many sites offer, surely that file is stored somewhere in your temp files, thus meaning you "downloaded" the title. Same goes for Youtube/Google video etc, if you watch a cartoon on YT or a movie on Google Video, (before its taken down) does that mean your a lawbreaker? It's too much of a grey area.

I personally hate the music industry and being a musician who has tried various ways and means to break into it, I've always came away realising that music is greater when shared with others intimately - not on a massive scale. But obviously that's what pays. - And I'm bitter :p

So I think music should be like ye olde days...you do your touring and play villages/towns/cities and you don't actually get paid from your album. Your album is your "calling card"...and the money you make is from touring. The arses on seats are where you make your money. Obviously this wouldn't change the pop-slop and hip-shit we have, but it's a start right? And downloadable albums is a great start, it cuts the middle man/promoting/brain-washing. Just let the damn music speak and let the public decide if they want to go and see the act. (And then make the act cheaper.)

I guess I want it all...I guess everything popular becomes a "business" even if it's something you possibly cannot put a price on. Why should X get paid more than Y just because by some wierd "luck" he is a genius song writer. Whilst Y saves lives and gets sweet F.A...

Rant over.

The whole reason people pirate music is because they don't want to pay for it, so why do they think this is a good idea. Surely people will just find a way to download songs without paying the £30.

However we should support this. Think about it, if you legitimately buy over £30 of music at the moment, this would save you money.

At school, at times the subject of piracy has come up and some people start saying things like, "but limewire can't be illegal because you can buy it in stores". I sometimes can't believe people's stupidity either. You know, piracy is one of the non-violent crimes I hate the most.

It's stupid anyway. There's evidence to suggest that musician's are gaining money since people started downloading their music as they don't make much from CD sales they make most of their money from gigs. So the more people hear their songs the more people go to their gigs. The people losing out from downloading are people like the retailers and manufacturers etc.

Yeah I'm sorry but if anybody actually thinks that it's legal then they are completely retarded.

It's stupid anyway. There's evidence to suggest that musician's are gaining money since people started downloading their music as they don't make much from CD sales they make most of their money from gigs. So the more people hear their songs the more people go to their gigs. The people losing out from downloading are people like the retailers and manufacturers etc.

I agree with this somewhat; without piracy I wouldn't have gotten into music anything like I have. It's a real part of my life now, whereas before it was a very casual thing. Now I love going to gigs. I buy band merchandise. But I still mostly download the music illegally, because it's easier. Clichéd, but; I seriously wouldn't have discovered 90% of the music I listen to now without piracy. There are albums I would have bought, but pirated, and there are a hell of a lot more that I wouldn't have bought, but would now go see the band live.

I like what Radiohead did with In Rainbows; let people pay what they want for it. Wasn't it their highest grossing album? On top of that I bet there are people who didn't pay anything but loved it and ended up going to a gig.

Not worrying about getting caught and having no realisation of what you are doing is illegal is completely different though.

What I don't like is that this gives the industry and not the consumer control over where revenue goes. How do they monitor the most popular artists for example? Surely they'd just be guessing, handing cash over to the pop-rap-Xfactor-mime-shite producers and probably disadvantaging smaller artists? It's like a weird form of corporate Communism.

There's 14,361,816 broadband subscribers in the UK, multiply that by 30£ and they get 430,854,480£, how much is their current revenue? Either way they get a steady income no matter what, they could even stop producing any music.

To me, it sounds like this:

"We can't beat the pirates...so we may as well get some money off them, if we can."

Ta-daaa, the 30 quid a year "tax".

If anything, like other people have said, this will just increase people downloading, rather than buying the music from stores. 30 quid a year for everything is pretty damn good when you consider albums to be between £7-16 pound.

Still, I love having the actual album in my hands. You can't beat those funky little booklets you get with the albums. :D

I wish more DVDs would include those.

I'm split on the idea. On one hand, you get all the music you could ever want for just £30 a year, an absolute bargain I'll happily pay for. On the other, it gives the record companies a life line, when in truth they deserve to suffer and choke until internet piracy finally kills them off, and we can reinvite music distribution in a more fair way to the artist.

Illegal music downloads is the best thing that's happend to music, it hurts the record labels and not the artists and is going to revolution and change the music industry for the better, sooner or later. It'd be a shame if a tax comes in and saves the majors from their inevitable death, while screwing over all the independant record labels - it's just going to create an environement where the majors win again, do we want this?

In all honesty it's too soon to tell if this is a good idea, it serves no benefit to the artists creating music nor does it in my eyes, help encourage the idea of artists making deep, meaningful music for people who are actually passionate about the art to enjoy.

There are too many if's and buts at the moment, I don't think taxing the UK is a viable solution if the rest of the world isn't going to follow suit though.

If this gets implemented then its gonna be a fucking sham just like the TV License. How are they going to appropriate the revenues? What happens to those who dont want to opt for this option?

They will force anyone with a computer and an internet connection to have to pay even when its not worth the money. I can't see this scheme being anything but a decrepid pipe-dream.

EDIT: And lets not forget my favourite. One fee for music, one for music, one for tv.... and SO on. It's a joke.