N-Europe

Coinage of the United Kingdom

Strider

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, whether you like it or not, the Euro in the UK is inevitable.

The pound sterling is so strong that it has gotten to a point that it is too expensive to trade with British industries, so there are going to be less and less customers for British product. No customers means no money, meaning our economy will eventually dwindle. Adopting the Euro will at the very least open our market up to an extra 250 million people, and could give us a break on international trade.

As for the coins themselves, they look OK, but I'm not that bothered about what they look like. I think they should get rid on the coppers, though.

Unfortunately, whether you like it or not, the Euro in the UK is inevitable.

The pound sterling is so strong that it has gotten to a point that it is too expensive to trade with British industries, so there are going to be less and less customers for British product. No customers means no money, meaning our economy will eventually dwindle. Adopting the Euro will at the very least open our market up to an extra 250 million people, and could give us a break on international trade.

Doesn't change the fact it'll make whichever Prime Minister very unpopular.

is it true that you can put euro notes through the wash?

Yes, it's true.

However I don't know if they would survive the incident intact.

Yes it's true, and yes they survive.

I have a question regarding the new coins the UK are introducing - why is the harp, a symbol of Ireland, on them? What has Ireland got to do with the Royal Standard anymore? Shouldn't the Red Hand be on it instead seeing as it's Northern Ireland and not the Island of Ireland that is part of the UK now?

Prefer to have notes instead of coins, I hate having a wallet full of shrapnel. Nice design though, I take it the Queen is the other side?

Yep. She remains the (unrightful) head of State of the UK, which therefore warrants her a place on the back of all coins. As if we want to see her ugly face every time we buy something.

Yep. She remains the (unrightful) head of State of the UK, which therefore warrants her a place on the back of all coins. As if we want to see her ugly face every time we buy something.

Why is she the unrightful Head of State O_o

They look crap I think; far too Euro (read: toytown money) for my liking. I quite like the tradition relating to the existing coins (Britannia, Westminister portcullis) rather than these.

is it true that you can put euro notes through the wash?

I'm sure you can put Sterling through the wash too.. although I'm not willing to test that theory!

My dad put a £10 through the wash a while back, it just came out with very faded edges. The bank were happy to exchange it, I think they'll exchange most notes provided the two serial numbers (one on the bottom, one on the side I think) are still present.

You'd prefer Gordon Brown?

Blackfox; I think Shorty put a fiver through the wash last year (correct me? Might've been Donal?) and the results weren't great...

When I'm feeling a little richer I shall conducttt an experimentooo!

I was doing ironing once and found a fiver in my pocket, it did survive thankfully!

Also the plastic fivers we have in this country go through the wash completely unharmed.. :yay: