NEurope
Strider

Coinage of the United Kingdom

So apparently the coinage of the UK is getting a nice little revamp to go along with the notes which were changed a while ago. The new coins will display the royal coat of arms which make a nice little picture when the coins are together.

The new coins were released today at noon by The Royal Mint.

Personally i quite like them:

NEWDESIGNSREVEALED.JPG

NEWDESIGNSFORMATION.JPG

Whats your opinions?

The pound coin looks OK (loads of different designs is better, though), but all the others are way too gimmicky. And it's way too English.

I like how when joined together they make up the shield. I really like them, it's a nice change.

The 5p looks a bit too clumped though.

They look great, i don't like the empty sections of the coins though. They should add pattern:)

£1 coin looks a bit like the Euro.

They don't look so good jumbled up though....

coinsaf2.jpg

They looks pretty cool. I like the 50p. I miss the old Irish 50p, the euro coins are so boring looking.

The £20 i've had in my wallet for a few weeks looks wierd, half the note is covered in a picture of Sir Walter Scott.

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

The £20 i've had in my wallet for a few weeks looks wierd, half the note is covered in a picture of Sir Walter Scott.

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

Its fake! send it to me and ill dispose of it correctly.

They all end up like this anyway.

lot.jpg

At Dirty Old Coins we are obsessed with "uncleaned" ancient Roman coins! We hope some of this excitement rubs off on you too as you become the first to restore a coin last used over 1,500 years ago. Last used, perhaps, to buy a meal or admission into a theater or maybe even to bribe an official!

These uncleaned coins will challenge your patience as you free the coin from its dirt cocoon over the course of days, weeks or perhaps even months. They will captivate you as you wonder how it was lost, who may have last held it, why it was even lost in the first place. Was it the last desperate act of a Roman trying to hide his wealth from the tax collector? Was it ritually abandoned to gain favor from a feared god? Or perhaps lost by a youth on his way to fulfilling an errand?

Will your coin belong to the great Constantinian dynasty of the 300's who introduced Christianity to the Roman empire? Or perhaps a runaway emperor who attempted to upset the incumbent but failed and then fell into obscurity? Or perhaps not an emperor at all but of a Roman woman or an emperor's son or even a fictional being?

Starting an ancient coin collection is much more affordable than most realize. For about the price of a fast food lunch you can get a handful of coins which will likely be the oldest man-made items you have ever held in your hands. Imagine that! So please come and join this wonderful hobby and discover something new every day!

Theyre a bit overly excited and amazed at dirty coins lol, id say their compulsive XD who can find dirty coins that intriuging(sp)?

Theyre a bit overly excited and amazed at dirty coins lol, id say their compulsive XD who can find dirty coins that intriuging(sp)?

Type "dirty english coins" into google images and go to page 2. You'll see why.

They all end up like this anyway.

lot.jpg

Stick them in a glass of coke overnight.:indeed:

While they're at it bring in 9p coin. Instead of fondling around with 5p then coppers, or giving a pound and getting a penny return, bring in the 9p coin. All companies seem to want to put 99p on the end to make it look less than just adding that extra penny on it.

Wot? No £2?
That's what I thought too :P

Bold move, but I do like it. Website says they're going to be gradually introduced as the banks request them, so don't expect every shop to have them tonight!

They're probably going to be better for blind people too. At the moment it's about feeling the edges (think about 10p vs 2p) and these might make differentiating a bit easier.

While they're at it bring in 9p coin. Instead of fondling around with 5p then coppers, or giving a pound and getting a penny return, bring in the 9p coin. All companies seem to want to put 99p on the end to make it look less than just adding that extra penny on it.

lol agreed. :smile: