N-Europe

Card Games

jayseven

What card games do you know? Over the last year I've picked up a few games from a few places, but my favourite game (and so far I've not failed to convert anyone with it) is called Niggly... Now, I don't know what it's really called but my grandparents taught me this game, and.. well, they taught me shithead under the name "Flush", so I've no idea where they get their ideas from. Niggly is a trump-based game where each round the number of cards in your hand goes up by one 'til it hits 7 cards, with no shuffling 'til then, then deal 7 down to 1 again.

Players call on how many tricks they think they can take, bearing in mind they have to follow the first suit lead, that there's a trump suit every round, and the highest card wins. If they call correctly, they get a bunch of points.

It's good! I promise you! If anyone's going to the meet-up I will be forcing you to play it.

Shorty taught me Big 2 and Slam, and I know how to play brag, sevens, queenie (and kings), and these games (minus brag) are games we play most often.

And poker, of course.

So yeah, what games do you know? What would you recommend for 2-3 players?

21, pontoon, vingt-e-un, blackjack.. I'm sure somebody'll tell me the finer differences between these...

Simple games; begger your neighbour is quite an easy (if not dreadfully dull and devoid of any need for skill) game to play.

I've come up with a prototype rummy/poker hybrid! I'd tell you how it plays, but then I'd have to charge you loyalty.

Guest Stefkov

Cheat, Poker, snap, that fish game

And my all time favourite...52 card pick up.

I probably know more but I'm not one for remembering names.

21, pontoon, vingt-e-un, blackjack.. I'm sure somebody'll tell me the finer differences between these...

Simple games; begger your neighbour is quite an easy (if not dreadfully dull and devoid of any need for skill) game to play.

I've come up with a prototype rummy/poker hybrid! I'd tell you how it plays, but then I'd have to charge you loyalty.

You mean a royalty? :p Pray tell anyway!

I know I mentioned card games the other day, but when I think of it now I can't remember very many. When we were little, our parents taught us some(I guess it's what they had growing up, sicne there weren't video games etc). I remember a game called Beat your neighbour, but I did then realise it was quite a boring game after a while.

I, naturally, LOVE Rummy, and poker too though I've never really played it too much(used to play like 5 card draw when I was little, without bets though, so half the fun gone).

Blackjack is another classic, and a game I forgot the name of which I knew as blackjack before I knew of 21s as Blackjack, it's kinda like Uno really, where different cards do different things and you can only put down certain ones according to what just was.

Cheat/Bullshit does all right for a while, then there's old maid/chase the ace, ahhh, it's all coming back to me now! I never really learnt GoFish I don't think.

I remember one my mum sort of taught us called Trump or something, I can't remember jack all about it except there being a trump suit picked at the beginning of the game.

What's newmarket?

Ok, newmarket is best played with quite a few people.

You need a 52 card pack plus an extra Ace of Spades, King of Hearts, Queen of Diamonds and Jack of Clubs. These cards go in the centre of the table.

Everyone chooses to put some money on one of these picture cards, plus a stake into the pot. The dealer then deals the pack out to every player plus a spare hand. The dealer can then decide to swap his hand for the spare, or another player can offer to buy it and add to the pot.

The game then begins with the player to the left of the dealer playing their lowest black. The player with the next card up must play, and this continues until a card can't be played.

Everyone lays their cards onto their own pile and says when they play a card so the rest of the players can follow the sequence.

An example:

say someone starts with a two of clubs, the player with the three of clubs must then play theirs. Noone has the 4 of clubs. It is in the spare hand.

The player who layed the last card must then play their lowest card of the opposite colour, which starts a new sequence. If he/she does not have a card of the opposite colour, it is passed onto the player to his/her left.

Similarly, when the sequence reaches an Ace, the player who lays the ace must then start a new sequence with the opposite colour.

The aim is to get rid of all your cards. The first player to get rid of all their cards wins the pot.

During the game, if you play one of the cards matching the cards in the centre, you can claim the money on that card, by shouting MONEY after laying it.

After each round, the deal is past round to the left.

Hope that's a good enough explanation!

Ok, newmarket is best played with quite a few people.

*explanation*

Aha! Just like queenie and Kings, 'cept with different cards out on the table. With kings you take the kings out of the deck and put them in teh middle, then each player puts a bet on one of the kings and another in a centre pot. Person to get rid of their cards (in the same manner as in newmarket) wins the main pot, but the money on the kings rolls over from game to game unless/until someone has played a queen to wint he king-pots :P

Queenie is again teh same, but only two pots - main pot and a card pot -- during the deal, the dealer chucks a card face-down into the middle of the table, and at the end of the game (when someone's won the main pot) the card's turned over, and whoever had played the queen of that suit wins.

Rummy; one version i've thought about is where players can swap cards in between the flop/turn/river with the deck, another is like that poker game on msn where you put tricks down -- but I don't like either enough to elaborate :P

What card games do you know? Over the last year I've picked up a few games from a few places, but my favourite game (and so far I've not failed to convert anyone with it) is called Niggly... Now, I don't know what it's really called but my grandparents taught me this game, and.. well, they taught me shithead under the name "Flush", so I've no idea where they get their ideas from. Niggly is a trump-based game where each round the number of cards in your hand goes up by one 'til it hits 7 cards, with no shuffling 'til then, then deal 7 down to 1 again.

Players call on how many tricks they think they can take, bearing in mind they have to follow the first suit lead, that there's a trump suit every round, and the highest card wins. If they call correctly, they get a bunch of points.

It's good! I promise you! If anyone's going to the meet-up I will be forcing you to play it.

I've played that before, we called it bid whist, or something a long those lines. You can also play a knock-out version where if any one player doesn't win a trick in a round they are out. Or another version when everyone always stayd in but whoever won on the last hand (when everyone had one card) would be the winners. With this version the person with the most tricks in the hand before got to call the trump suit for the next.

Is that one also known as Bullshit?

Yes it is, love that game!

Woah, actually, some of us NErs used to play party poker online, which was a kickass load of fun. I reckon we should totally do that again sometime.

I miss Katie :(

I noticed a lack of her lately, where/why'd she go? I used to be a bit of a partypoker-er, but then I got caught up in other things and uninstalled it from all the comps(the antivirus didnt like it much either). I still watch poker sometimes though, and I even won a How to Play Poker DVD from a five competiton a few months back.

I'm pretty sure that's called trumps. But it's hard to say as your explanation is pretty poor.

I've played that before, we called it bid whist, or something a long those lines. You can also play a knock-out version where if any one player doesn't win a trick in a round they are out. Or another version when everyone always stayd in but whoever won on the last hand (when everyone had one card) would be the winners. With this version the person with the most tricks in the hand before got to call the trump suit for the next.

Yeah I've played those other versions too but much prefer the scoring one.

I'm pretty sure that's called trumps. But it's hard to say as your explanation is pretty poor.

Well eddage understood :P It's not quite regular trumps, though.