Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Universities and shizzle.

Twozzok

Plus the course and tutors seemed abit dull..and I'd have to live at home :blank:

I don't think I could go to uni and stay at home. Wouldn't feel like the uni experience. Would save a hell of a lot of money though.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a general tip I got off a teacher I once had. Once you get your results if you get better than what you expected (or needed for firm choice) you can hold the spot at your choice and still enter clearing. Once in clearing new, better, opportunities may open up now your results have exceeded your predicted grades. I have a friend who was meant to go to Sheffield but ended up going to Manchester b'cos of this and he says that once outside of UCAS everything become a lot easier. If it all doesn't work you would still have your held fim choice to fall back on.

That makes sense I think. As long as you have your firm choice to fall back on, it seems a good idea!

I don't think I could go to uni and stay at home. Wouldn't feel like the uni experience. Would save a hell of a lot of money though.

Well I got told they have some stupid rule at manchester about how far away you live and I don't know if I was going in private halls or not.

Travelling 2 hours to college for a 9am lesson when buses start at 7am, would not have been fun.

22nd? Apprently we don't get accomdation info back til they get out results. Well I got in for definate a week ago, so if I don't hear anything back next week I'll be ringing/emailing etc to ask why. I don't particularly want to wait until the end of august.

So fingers crossed ^_^

Once that's sent I can stop worrying because then everything is sorted. Well except books and stuff of course.

coolbeans. Gonna assume Jayseven et al will be around by then so we'll have to meet up for drinks or somesuch. Can't leave a new arrival hanging :)

Reading about the UK university system's way of handling finances makes me appreciate the US system even more...

Not to rub it in or anything : peace:

It's easier than people make out. You fill in the form, you send it off, they send you back a thing saying "you'll get X amount", and you get that much as a loan each year.

Easy as falling off a log.

It's easier than people make out. You fill in the form, you send it off, they send you back a thing saying "you'll get X amount", and you get that much as a loan each year.

Easy as falling off a log.

And then your university takes it most of it away again and you're left with hardly anything. Can't imagine it being so fun when you have to pay it back, either... Ah well, it's still fun when you see the money coming in. :heh:

When you get your results on 'results day' you can indeed call around to see if you can get a better deal. but if you get accepted by your first choice uni then there#s no reason to do so.

coolbeans. Gonna assume Jayseven et al will be around by then so we'll have to meet up for drinks or somesuch. Can't leave a new arrival hanging :)

yeah for sure, will be in sheffield, and we will definitely need to organise some sort of gatehring :)

When you get your results on 'results day' you can indeed call around to see if you can get a better deal. but if you get accepted by your first choice uni then there#s no reason to do so.

Unless you do get better than predicted. It's fucking ridiculous that they go off predicted grades. I don't want some teacher deciding my future.

Unless you do get better than predicted. It's fucking ridiculous that they go off predicted grades. I don't want some teacher deciding my future.

I found my predicted was better than I was aiming for, luckily my college was pretty accurate.

I'm actually really looking forward to uni this morning, I really want to be there NOW.

Sure thing dan ^_^ although I'm not much of a drinker.

Someone told me that UCAS made a rule or something that even if you exceed your results, as long as you meet the requirements for your firm, you have to go there.:wtf:

I'm so confused!

No you don't. If you suddenly decide that the firm choice isn't for you then you can easily decline it, just as you can with your insurance.

22nd? Apprently we don't get accomdation info back til they get out results. Well I got in for definate a week ago, so if I don't hear anything back next week I'll be ringing/emailing etc to ask why. I don't particularly want to wait until the end of august.

So fingers crossed ^_^

Once that's sent I can stop worrying because then everything is sorted. Well except books and stuff of course.

Bwahaha, I went to Manchester and got a science degree without buying a single book...I kid you not. I only ever rented one book from the library, that I actually never opened either. I really don't like reading books...besides, all the up-to-date stuff is on the internet in science papers, and it's much easier to ctrl+F than manually read. :p

Bwahaha, I went to Manchester and got a science degree without buying a single book...I kid you not. I only ever rented one book from the library, that I actually never opened either.

Does that show that:

1. It was an easy course

2. It was a bad course

Or

3. You are somewhat intelligent? (please try not to get big headed)

The only thing I really enjoyed about manchester were the computers/the robots/I'd be living there.

Does that show that:

1. It was an easy course

2. It was a bad course

Or

3. You are somewhat intelligent? (please try not to get big headed)

The only thing I really enjoyed about manchester were the computers/the robots/I'd be living there.

Easy course no, bad course no, intelligent somewhat (but not to too much of an extent). As far as the course goes, compared to my friend I did far more examinations and course units, and had to get way more credits! Also science degrees are generally quite hard. I suppose with science, more than anything else the most relevant and accurate information is found in electronic journals rather than somewhat outdated text books. Might not be the same for your course.

Easy course no, bad course no, intelligent somewhat (but not to too much of an extent). As far as the course goes, compared to my friend I did far more examinations and course units, and had to get way more credits! Also science degrees are generally quite hard. I suppose with science, more than anything else the most relevant and accurate information is found in electronic journals rather than somewhat outdated text books. Might not be the same for your course.

Considering I'm doing games design at sheffield I should hope it is different, but whilst I was at manchester I was told the games was completely different and I would be on the course that mixed all computing together.

Seemed abit boring. Although they did have computer science, it seems abit silly to apply for computer science when infact you'd only be doing it as a module rather than as a course. So from then on I got abit bored of listening

I needed to read books, but was able to look at them in libraries, and bought very few. Later years are more reliant on papers as opposed to books, but to get higher marks I think you'd still need to read stuff. (changed from this course after the first year to linguistics, which appears to involve far more books)

I read a fair few books because in Media the concepts largely don't change. Most of stuff in e-journals is interpretations of new films or whatever or ongoing debates.

But as said. Changes from course to course. Takeo was telling me for a paper he has to make a point and find some evidence and try and make sure its not been argued with/proven wrong (and if so include that). With media thankfully other than really dated theories (which you shouldn't use anyway) its just a case of finding someone whose said what you said. Because you're not clever enough to say it yourself.

Considering I'm doing games design at sheffield I should hope it is different, but whilst I was at manchester I was told the games was completely different and I would be on the course that mixed all computing together.

Seemed abit boring. Although they did have computer science, it seems abit silly to apply for computer science when infact you'd only be doing it as a module rather than as a course. So from then on I got abit bored of listening

Nice...computer game designing? It would have been so awesome to be working for Rare in the N64 days I always thought...Banjo Tooie had a pig dressed in Union Jack shorts, vehicles had the GB sticker on, some of the enemies had English names and it felt very British at parts. Good old Rare. Shame about now though... :(

hallam! Be proud of the hallam :P

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!